Irish language protectionism shutting out immigrant teachers, contributing to severe shortages of STEM teachers

Patslatt1

Irish language protectionism shutting out immigrant teachers, contributing to severe shortages of STEM teachers

With the population of immigrants and foreign born now around 20% of the population, the requirement for Leaving Cert Irish is creating barriers to entry to the teaching profession among professionals in that 20%. An exemption should be created for those people in subjects where there are shortages of teachers, except of course for the Irish language.

In STEM subjects, critical shortages are reported in the Irish media. I've heard anecdotally from a newspaper editor that county Donegal has only one physics teacher.

So it is scandalous that highly qualified teachers from the EU and immigrants in STEM professions who would like to enter teacher training colleges are shut out of teaching by the onerous Irish language requirement. Are Irish parents whose children are deprived of a STEM education supposed to put up with this to support the myth that Ireland will become a Gaelic speaking country,reversing the decline of the language since the mid 18th century about 270 years ago?

PS In small secondary schools where teachers have to teach a variety of subjects, the teacher without Irish is at a disadvantage in competing for a job. In Irish language and Gaeltacht schools as well as primary schools, the schools are at a disadvantage in recruiting STEM teachers.

Last edited:

Alan Alda

'Official' Irish language is Stalinist/Hitlerist in its way.
Should be banned.
Not even East Germany had such a cultish ,mandatory text as Peig.

Last edited:

NYCKY

With the population of immigrants and foreign born now around 20% of the population, the requirement for Leaving Cert Irish is creating barriers to entry to the teaching profession among professionals in that 20%. An exemption should be created for those people in subjects where there are shortages of teachers, except of course for the Irish language.

In STEM subjects, critical shortages are reported in the Irish media. I've heard anecdotally from a newspaper editor that county Donegal has only one physics teacher.

So it is scandalous that highly qualified teachers from the EU and immigrants in STEM professions who would like to enter teacher training colleges are shut out of teaching by the onerous Irish language requirement. Are Irish parents whose children are deprived of a STEM education supposed to put up with this to support the myth that Ireland will become a Gaelic speaking country,reversing the decline of the language since the mid 18th century about 270 years ago?
Do you have any links/evidence for any of this?

londonpride

The Irish language fanatics would like to force those they call West Brits < that's those of Norman origin and others out of Ireland and impose a Stalinist/Putin style system on People residing in that country.
We the real Irish are gone and replaced by charlatans,who like the Cuckoos have taken over and pretending to be Irish
They are no different from those Ulster Scots with their contempt for freedom.

Prester Jim

There is no requirement for irish in secondary school teaching and we don't need stem teachers in primary.
You are an incredibly poor Op starter pat, you start off with a crazy neo liberal agenda and then pluck a non existent problem out of your arse to fit that agenda.

Prester Jim

Mods, look at this guys op history and tell me he should still be able to start ops?
This is most of his OPs

Mick Mac

Irish is excluding Or perhaps better out designating gaeilge as the Irish language is excluding.

Welcome to Ireland, you are irish. By the way this language you never heard of is now your language of heritage. It replaces your own language of heritage.

Irish language act now! That's an attempt to assert cultural hierarchy. Gaeilge is just another language of heritage whatever the populists say.

neiphin

Mods, look at this guys op history and tell me he should still be able to start ops?
This is most of his OPs
1) there are no mods here
2) there are no mods here

Fritzbox

Mind you, it wouldn't surprise me if there was only one physics teacher in Co. Donegal - how many students take physics for the Leaving Certificate in that county?

Gin Soaked

Mind you, it wouldn't surprise me if there was only one physics teacher in Co. Donegal - how many students take physics for the Leaving Certificate in that county?
Excluding Secondary school teachers based on a language they don't teach is nuts.

Especially in STEM, a good teacher can be transformative for a school.

Edit: turns out OP is making stuff up. Unless you are dealing with physics teachers with fluent Irish. In a Gaelscoil.

And the one physics teacher in Donegal claim has also been debunked...

Last edited:

silverharp

Excluding Secondary school teachers based on a language they don't teach is nuts.

pat has been smoking some good shiiiit over the weekend

Teacher qualifications

Post-primary teachers
Post primary teachers are normally required to teach at least 1 subject which they have studied to degree level. Post-primary teachers do not need to have a qualification in the Irish language unless they are employed by a Gaeltacht school or a school where Irish is the medium of instruction.

Qualification is usually achieved by gaining a primary degree from a recognised third-level institution. This degree must include at least 1 subject from the post-primary schools’ curriculum for the Leaving Certificate Programme. The Teaching Council is the professional standards body for teaching the promotes and regulates the profession. The primary degree is followed by a postgraduate qualification in education such as the Professional Masters in Education (PME).

Not The End Of The World

No doubt we will have the gaelgoirs (have I spelt that right - do I even care) along in a minute with some sort of justification. Good OP.

In this day and age it is a pathetic requirement just a sop to the few. Embarrassing but let's not worry about the essential need to properly educate our young.

paulp

Don't you love it when people read the op, jump straight in with a comment without having read at least a few of the replies first

Hunter-Gatherer

In its current form , irish is too difficult.

Prester Jim

It doesn't happen.
Pat is talking sh1te as normal.

hollandia

No doubt we will have the gaelgoirs (have I spelt that right - do I even care) along in a minute with some sort of justification. Good OP.

In this day and age it is a pathetic requirement just a sop to the few. Embarrassing but let's not worry about the essential need to properly educate our young.
You won't because there is no requirement for Irish at second level. So they'd really be trying to justify something that they don't need to. Which, like the OP, would be pretty pointless.

Prester Jim

Did you read anything other than the super-poor OP? Patslatt pulled it out of his arse as always.
A very large proportion of Pat's OPs are pure nonsense, I have a theory that Milton Friedman's half rotted brain is in a fishbowl full of vinegar in Paschal O'D's attic and someone left a laptop too close to its robotic finger.

Hunter-Gatherer

The parents of kids in many nations would prefer teachers with the identity of that nation. Israel , Greece, Japan, scotland. Give the kids some local identity. The alternative is some mc Donalds generic bland western hotchpotch.

Dame_Enda

Not sure I buy this argument. I think if say French was my first language (and tens of millions speak it in Africa as a first or second language), I would find it easier to learn Irish. Like Irish, the French language usually has the adjective after the noun. On the other hand if they speak a first language where the adjective usually comes before the noun (including English), Irish can be very hard.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies