Irish media on economy compared to British media during 1930s abdication crisis in IT

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
A thoroughly excellent piece in this morning's (Monday's) Irish Times by Ann Marie Hourihane comparing the media's handling of the current economic situation with it's handling of the abdication crisis in the UK in the 1930's.

We don’t want to be like the British during the abdication crisis in the 1930s, during which foreign newspapers wrote freely about King Edward VIII’s mistress, Wallis Simpson, while the British papers kept their own country in the dark. Such an impermeable news barrier would be impossible to maintain in this day and age, but that has never stopped a Government in denial issuing upbeat statements until the final death rattle.
Please Brian, don't let us find out we're broke from YouTube - The Irish Times - Mon, Nov 15, 2010

kodak

We need journalists in this country to print the truth no matter what happens and not except what a Government of liars tell them to print.

LiquidPaddy

The Irish media's behaviour is a mirror image of FF's denial of any problem on a political issue - redolent of Brian Lenihan Snr.'s carry-on when Haughey was even stealing his liver transplant money.

The FF mantra goes like this:
1997-2006: We don't have a problem, the economy is booming, things are great.
2007: We don't have a problem, the economy is booming, things are great.
2008: We don't have a problem, the economy is booming, things are great.
2009: We don't have a problem, the economy has turned the corner, things are grand.
2010-2011: Oh ************************, we've crashed the country's economy, we're back into neo-colonialism again.

ne0ica

What are you talking about. The Irish people have been subjected to a barrage of doom and gloom for the last 2 years. In fact they could be accused of escalating the sense of hopelessness in the country.

Mitsui2

What are you talking about. The Irish people have been subjected to a barrage of doom and gloom for the last 2 years. In fact they could be accused of escalating the sense of hopelessness in the country.
FF Grima Wormtongue alert!!!!

Strength: -1.

Honesty rating: zero

Chosen weapon on this occasion: disingenuousness.

Recommendation: ignore

ocoonassa

We need journalists in this country to print the truth no matter what happens and not except what a Government of liars tell them to print.
The politicians and the consolidated media are all bought and paid for. They're all told what to say, or at the least have the sense of self interest to not say what needs to be said.

Mushroom

A thoroughly excellent piece in this morning's (Monday's) Irish Times by Ann Marie Hourihane comparing the media's handling of the current economic situation with it's handling of the abdication crisis in the UK in the 1930's.

Please Brian, don't let us find out we're broke from YouTube - The Irish Times - Mon, Nov 15, 2010

In the light of his recently revealed addiction to shooting messengers, should we now expect Ms. Hourihane to become the next target of Senator Denial O'Bollockawn's ire?

Odyessus

What nonsense. The media can run whatever stories they like; we have a free press. The story in question is being run on every TV and radio station in the land, and covered by every newspaper including the Irish Times.

What is this story that the Irish media are supposedly refusing to report? Why doesn't Ms. Hourihane's own newspaper report it?

Are they afraid someone will abdicate? :rolleyes:

P.S. Here is the lead story from the same edition of the Irish Times. What is the woman on about?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/1115/1224283325928.html

Last edited:

kerdasi amaq

Good one, stripey Cat, good one.

Journo's don't have any say in what gets printed. The editors control everything.

ocoonassa

we have a free press.
Free from any good sense, searching questions or serious analysis yes, not really shocked you're a fan. Explains why you've a head full of sparkles if that's where your getting your view of reality.

Is this the story planted by elements who are demanding Ireland take a bailout to stop others within Europe having problems.

This is despite Irish Government being clear they were not applying or seeking one.

Agenda has clearly been led from within Europe since Friday evening who are desperate for Ireland to seek a bailout.

Irish media reported what the situation was rather than the puff pieces pushed across to the external media.

What amuses me is that people assume that when people don't realise that if you push attempted news stories like this around Reuters, Bloomberg, BBC etc etc it only requires one to report on it. Everybody jumps on board so to give the idea they know what is happening. Hell even a 3rd rate PR agency could have done that.

People hate the Govt, fine I can understand that but pretty much few people are asking what is the real agenda of those demanding we take the bailout.

Tomas Mor

Maybe its an effort to stop contagion, as Portugal is now affected by Ireland. But if we accept bail out ,then problem may move on to Portugal, Spain etc.

Louise Hannon

The problems with the Irish media are three fold.
1/ A lot of journalists don't have a "history of experience", so when it comes to analysis they tend to swallow what the herd say.
2/ Many work on their own opinions and not fact.
3/ Many are tainted by their political DNA i.e. family voting tradition.
RTE picked up the story eventually late yesterday (Sunday) on the bail out talks when everyone was talking about it on Friday. That was either through laziness or a wish to check facts... and I'm not sure which, but I suspect it's the former. There is also a deference to the reputation of the country and a wish to not annoy the political elite thus not rock the Irish boat.

A good journalist picks though the spin and gets to the nub of the issue without being distracted by their own ego etc. and has a news history built in from experience... Unfortunately we have too few of those.

The problems with the Irish media are three fold.
1/ A lot of journalists don't have a "history of experience", so when it comes to analysis they tend to swallow what the herd say.
2/ Many work on their own opinions and not fact.
3/ Many are tainted by their political DNA i.e. family voting tradition.
RTE picked up the story eventually late yesterday (Sunday) on the bail out talks when everyone was talking about it on Friday. That was either through laziness or a wish to check facts... and I'm not sure which, but I suspect it's the former. There is also a deference to the reputation of the country and a wish to not annoy the political elite thus not rock the Irish boat.

A good journalist picks though the spin and gets to the nub of the issue without being distracted by their own ego etc. and has a news history built in from experience... Unfortunately we have too few of those.
So can you highlight the Good journalists putting their names on the Friday night pieces ?

Getting the News story out Friday night means its in Sunday Newspapers and controls the spin with little serious questioning.

Mushroom

Getting the News story out Friday night means its in Sunday Newspapers and controls the spin with little serious questioning.

Or, better still, on the Friday of a Bank Holiday weekend:- every government spinner's favourite day for a bad news release.

limericklady

Do ye remember when we felt sorry for the Americans because their news broadcasts were so censored/biased. Irish news was held up as some beacon of honesty.
I guess that only really applied to foreign news stories.

SideysGhost

Is this the story planted by elements who are demanding Ireland take a bailout to stop others within Europe having problems.
:lol:

Anyone remember the howls of laughter that greeted the first use of this line over the weekend? Tonic, I think it was.

And what I was saying about paid agents and how the same three or four talking points will get pushed relentlessly, regardless of their truth or relevance?

And how by Monday lunchtime every idiot you know will be droning away in your workplace using the exact same bullet points?

Anyone remember the howls of laughter that greeted the first use of this line over the weekend? Tonic, I think it was.

And what I was saying about paid agents and how the same three or four talking points will get pushed relentlessly, regardless of their truth or relevance?

And how by Monday lunchtime every idiot you know will be droning away in your workplace using the exact same bullet points?

Ireland Talks With EU as Germany Pushes It to Take Bailout - Bloomberg

Notice not a single person is claiming Ireland requested a bailout and everything that is being stated is demanding we accept one.

"French Finance Minister Christine Lagarde said today on France Info radio no aid request has been made. "

"Luxembourg Prime Minister Jean-Claude Juncker, who chairs the group of euro finance ministers, said Nov. 12 there was “no immediate reason” to think Ireland will seek cash and that officials wouldn’t meet before the monthly talks in Brussels. "

"The International Monetary Fund stands ready to help Ireland if needed, Managing Director Dominique Strauss-Kahn said Nov. 13 in Yokohama, Japan.

“So far I haven’t received any kind of request,” he said. “If at one point in time, tomorrow, in two months or two years, the Irish want support from the IMF, we will be ready.” "

"In a Nov. 12 conference call of ECB officials, Ireland was pressed to seek outside help within days, a person briefed on the discussions said on condition of anonymity. "

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies