• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Irish nationalism and Zionism

JohnD66

Despite the sure knowledge that this will provoke an excrement throwing contest between supporters of Israel and those of the Palestinians, I'm posting this interesting article by Aidan Beatty about the historical links between Irish nationalism and Zionism.

‘A long and oddly intertwined history’ – Irish nationalism and Zionism | The Irish Story

Among other interesting tipbits, it seems De Valera was consulted by leading Zionist activists in the 1930s and advised against the partition of Palestine.

(Note that I use Zionist here not as a term of abuse but as the title the early 20th century Jewish nationalists gave themselves).

Last edited:

parentheses

I recall reading somewhere that in 1940s New York, the Zionists were close friends of the Irish republican groups. At that time the Zionists were fighting the Britissh.

I think I read somwhere also that Mr Briscoe arranged training for Jabotinsky in guerilla fighting from IRA veterans while the latter was in Ireland.

JohnD66

I recall reading somewhere that in 1940s New York, the Zionists were close friends of the Irish republican groups. At that time the Zionists were fighting the Britissh.

I think I read somwhere also that Mr Briscoe arranged training for Jabotinsky in guerilla fighting from IRA veterans while the latter was in Ireland.
Yes. If I'm not mistaken the IRA paper (An Phoblacht? United Irishman?) used to write approvingly of Zionism and the Stern gang tactics in the 1950s. How times change.

parentheses

Yes. If I'm not mistaken the IRA paper (An Phoblacht? United Irishman?) used to write approvingly of Zionism and the Stern gang tactics in the 1950s. How times change.
Of course the Irish Americans and Jews together would have made a very strong voting block to favor US support of Israel in its early days. I'm not sure though to what extent Irish American politicians supported Israel in the early days.

Seanie Lemass

Republicans of an older vintage tended to be pro-Zionist and there were contacts between the IRA and the Zionist fighting organisations in the late 1940s. Irish cultural nationalists were also highly impressed by the manner in which Israel revived Hebrew as the vernacular.

Levellers

Zionism is a racist philosophy - a million miles from the inclusive Irish nationalism.

JohnD66

Zionism is a racist philosophy - a million miles from the inclusive Irish nationalism.
Ding ding!

But seriously Zionism was not always like it is now -an adjunct of the Israeli state. It was once a fairly idealistic movement.

timhorgan

Republicans of an older vintage tended to be pro-Zionist and there were contacts between the IRA and the Zionist fighting organisations in the late 1940s. Irish cultural nationalists were also highly impressed by the manner in which Israel revived Hebrew as the vernacular.
Interesting how an earlier generation of Irish Jews viewed De Valera -unlike the revisionist Shatter line.

Today, however the LLK/JNF Jewish National Fund is highly complicit in the oppression of the Palestinians.

</title> <meta content="Microsoft Visual Studio 7.0" name="GENERATOR"> <meta content="C#" name="CODE_LANGUAGE"> <meta content="JavaScript" name="vs_defaultClientScript"> <meta content="http://schemas.microsoft.com/intellisense/ie5" name="vs_targetSch

The System Works

Website
www.thesystemworks.wordpress.com
Twitter
@mendingtheworld
I have heard that Brendan Behan, on encountering a Jew in a Dublin bar, at least once belted out HaTikvah, Israel's national anthem, in perfect Hebrew.

I sincerely hope this level of kinship will be renewed between out two peoples once more.

Seanie Lemass

Interesting how an earlier generation of Irish Jews viewed De Valera -unlike the revisionist Shatter line.

Today, however the LLK/JNF Jewish National Fund is highly complicit in the oppression of the Palestinians.

</title> <meta content="Microsoft Visual Studio 7.0" name="GENERATOR"> <meta content="C#" name="CODE_LANGUAGE"> <meta content="JavaScript" name="vs_defaultClientScript"> <meta content="http://schemas.microsoft.com/intellisense/ie5" name="vs_targetSch

Irish Jews traditionally supported FF and of course Briscoe was Dublin Lord Mayor and TD and Gerald Goldberg was Mayor of Cork at one stage.

Interestingly Goldberg was defended by republicans, including FF republicans, when he was attacked by anti Semitic Blueshirts when attending UCC.

Fine Gael was only party ever to confine its membership to 'Christians' which of course was code for something else. Not sure when they dropped that.

Iphonista

Ding ding!

But seriously Zionism was not always like it is now -an adjunct of the Israeli state. It was once a fairly idealistic movement.
All nationalisms tend to go that way. The early idealists give way to the carpet batters and the power seekers. See also India, Zaire, Ghana... Watch the ANC over the next few years.

Prester Jim

All nationalisms tend to go that way. The early idealists give way to the carpet batters and the power seekers. See also India, Zaire, Ghana... Watch the ANC over the next few years.
Watch them? they are already far gone, Zuma wasn't even the start.

Colin M

Irish Jews traditionally supported FF and of course Briscoe was Dublin Lord Mayor and TD and Gerald Goldberg was Mayor of Cork at one stage.

Interestingly Goldberg was defended by republicans, including FF republicans, when he was attacked by anti Semitic Blueshirts when attending UCC.

Fine Gael was only party ever to confine its membership to 'Christians' which of course was code for something else. Not sure when they dropped that.
Ben Briscoe in 'Village' magazine bit not too long ago, said he took a bit of abuse for his religion from some in FF. As a result he now votes for FG.

I know you like to always paint FF's the 'good guys' and everyone else as the 'baddies', in these types of threads. Not that simple.

former wesleyan

Not much has changed at UCC.

timhorgan

Last edited:

former wesleyan

Trainwreck

More a case of "te enemy of my enemy is my friend" than any underlying compatibility of beliefs.