Irish Owned cargo ship attacked by Pirates.

Dohville

ARDMORE SEAFARER

Cyprus, October 13, 2010.

Bernhard Schulte Shipmanagement (Cyprus) Ltd., technical managers of the Product Tanker Ardmore Seafarer report that the vessel sustained a piracy attack yesterday, some 600 miles south west of India.

Bernhard Schulte is pleased to report the tanker is now back under control of the crew, all of whom are safe and accounted for.

The 45744 DWT tanker was on passage from Dar Es Salaam when a small craft came alongside and the crew took refuge in a citadel area on board where they remained for approximately 14 hours.

While there were reports of small arms fire during the attack, no casualties have been sustained and the crew emerged from the citadel once it had been confirmed that the pirates had abandoned the vessel.

The Ardmore Seafarer is now sailing under her own power and under full control of her crew.

The Ardmore Seafarer is a double hull, 2004 build, Product Tanker.

Bernhard Schulte Shipmanagement: Press Release - Ardmore Seafarer

Possibly worth noting that Irish ship ownership is worth over €800m per year to our struggling economy. Irish owned ships are being attacked by pirates, yet we have no naval presence in protecting the ships(apart from a handful of advisors in the Hedquarters of the EU anti piracy operation.

I wouldn't be surprised if many here didn't even realise there was such a thing as an Irish owned ship.

Cael

Up the Pirates!!

slippy wicket

I was going to make a crass pirate joke, but on reading the article it would not be appropriate.
Good news that all are unharmed.

He3

Your link says nothing about Irish owners. Vesseltracker.com lists the ship as sailing under a Marshall Islands flag.

Tell us more.

Sync

Yes we absolutely need to invest in a Arleigh Burke class destroyer. About $1.5 billion. Let's do it now. If we let it set sail tomorrow it'll be in India for about 2 weeks.

Dohville

Yes we absolutely need to invest in a Arleigh Burke class destroyer. About $1.5 billion. Let's do it now. If we let it set sail tomorrow it'll be in India for about 2 weeks.
Indeed, lets make a laugh and a joke about peoples lives being put at risk thanks to a "not my problem" attitude of the state.
We have idiots going to Gaza to give hamas a warm fuzzy feeling, what about looking after something that may actually benefit the states economy for a change?

He3

Dohville

How much has any irish company contributed to the economy?

It is flagged under the Marshall Islands because that is common practice. Even Arklow Shipping have flagged some of their ships elsewhere.

He3

1. Answering a question with a question is not great for the information of readers.

2. Why is it common practice?

You missed the middle question btw. Why should the Irish defence forces be put in harm's way in the Indian Ocean for a Marshall Islands ship?

Dohville

1.Why ask something I would know nothing about unless I have access to the company's accounts? Does asking me a question I CANNOT know the answer to somehow invalidate any point I make?
2. Because different countries provide simpler registration procedures than others, particulary when it comes to Time charters, as in the case of this ship.

It is an irish owned ship. Its safe passage contributes to the economy of this state. The profit the company makes is taxed. Taxes go into exchequer?

Sync

By coincidence Marshall Islands is now just a regular tax haven. Pre 2008 it was defined as a harmful tax haven by the OECD. I like how there's no effort whatsoever to point out what the Irish govt should actually do, just a general bitch about how someone should do something about ships operating on the other side of the planet. Should they also be responsible for tourists being mugged in New Zealand?

Last edited:

Trampas

Indeed, lets make a laugh and a joke about peoples lives being put at risk thanks to a "not my problem" attitude of the state.
We have idiots going to Gaza to give hamas a warm fuzzy feeling, what about looking after something that may actually benefit the states economy for a change?

Well said. Many of those ships take on a pilot before coming in to port. Time now for them to take on a protection squad that would blow those savages out of the water.

HanleyS

The Irish Defence Forces are not operating in Dar Es Salaam as far as I am aware.

What's the go with this? Why would the pirates abandon? Is it because they can't gain control of the ship and this is their only collateral? Or were they smashed by private security? The latter sounds more interesting but also more dangerous.

Dohville

By coincidence Marshall Islands is now just a regular tax haven. Pre 2008 it was defined as a harmful tax haven by the OECD. I like how there's no effort whatsoever to point out what the Irish govt should actually do, just a general bitch about how someone should do something about ships operating on the other side of the planet. Should they also be responsible for tourists being mugged in New Zealand?
Indeed. Remain insular. WHat is happening on the other side of the world has nothing to do with us.
Lets all climb back into our shells and when we come out the bad men will have gone away. Good to see the isolationist attitude of Emergency era Ireland is alive and well.

Piracy such as what happens in the indian ocean (as well as the Straits of Mallaca and the Nigerian coast)directly impacts on the cost of shipping, as insurers are very willing to pay out ransomes for captured crew. When the cost of shipping increases, the cost of everything increases. Do you people not realise we rely on shipping of cargo by sea to exist? Everything we get from Japan, Hong Kong, India, etc must come through this area.

I'm sure if you write to Ardmore shipping and explain to them the error of their ways, they will reflag the ship in whatever country you chose. Preferably one with a harsh tax system.

What should the government do? I was hoping someone as wise as yourself, who clearly knows everything would be able to come up with a solution the irish and other world governments would jump at!

The Caped Cod

Indeed. Remain insular. WHat is happening on the other side of the world has nothing to do with us.
Lets all climb back into our shells and when we come out the bad men will have gone away. Good to see the isolationist attitude of Emergency era Ireland is alive and well.

Piracy such as what happens in the indian ocean (as well as the Straits of Mallaca and the Nigerian coast)directly impacts on the cost of shipping, as insurers are very willing to pay out ransomes for captured crew. When the cost of shipping increases, the cost of everything increases. Do you people not realise we rely on shipping of cargo by sea to exist? Everything we get from Japan, Hong Kong, India, etc must come through this area.

I'm sure if you write to Ardmore shipping and explain to them the error of their ways, they will reflag the ship in whatever country you chose. Preferably one with a harsh tax system.

What should the government do? I was hoping someone as wise as yourself, who clearly knows everything would be able to come up with a solution the irish and other world governments would jump at!
So what exactly is your problem? What are you proposing be done and why?

He3 summed it up. Why should the Irish defence forces be put in hars way to protect to protect a ship that is registered in a tax haven (apart from the fact that, given our present banking situation, it would be a very Irish thing to do)?

If the company is seeking military protection from teh governmetn then the least they could do is conform ethicly with the tax regime of that country. You ahve a bee in you rboonet but what exactly is the point of this thread?

Sync

I miss when I wasn't a mod and could mock people more.

The government should tell them the same thing they tell me when I travel abroad for work or the same thing they tell tourists.

1. Pay your insurance
2. Where relevant notify law enforcement of your movements
3. Avoid known danger areas

That's all they can do. It's all they should do. If I open up a corner store in Darfur, it's not down to the Irish government to send security over there in case something happens me. If I go on holiday in Afghanistan, it's not down to the Irish govt to hold my hand. And if I decide to operate in areas I know are dangerous, I accept the risks that entails.

BlowIn

I think its a combo of both Dohvilles and sync posts.

An irish owened and irishflagged vessel should be able to call for irish goverment help where ever it is, this help could only be consular advice at the mo because we dont have the assets to send to its aid and it is also a world away and any incident would be over by the time we get there.

I am all for Irish naval vessels serving in any intenational or UN sancitoned actions againist the menace of priacy on the high seas and it impact on trade.

give the naval service the assets and they will do the task required.

but its not going to happen anytime soon, i'm afraid.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies