Irish people were better looking in the 1950s -Dr Chris Luke

joe sod

According to Dr Chris Luke our grandparents from 1950s were better looking than modern irish people, they were thinner ate less and were better dressed. I heard him discussing this with Pat Kenny , even the photos from Italia 90 show us as being thinner and healthier looking

Dame_Enda

I think they were certainly fitter, owing to the stigma surrounding wasting good food that may have resulted from ancestral memories of the famine.

Catahualpa

Website
irelandinhistory.blogspot.com

According to Dr Chris Luke our grandparents from 1950s were better looking than modern irish people, they were thinner ate less and were better dressed. I heard him discussing this with Pat Kenny , even the photos from Italia 90 show us as being thinner and healthier looking
We were certainly paler.....👶

rainmaker

Administrator

Levels of attractiveness are far too subjective for him to be able to state this with such certainty.

Especially as he's using such criteria as diet and thinness.

A Voice

Pat Kenny couldn't wait to get him on the phone to discuss this. A most looks-obsessed broadcaster, although a good one.

Ardillaun

Bear in mind that TB did wonders for the looks. Noel Browne has a lot to answer for.

A top consultant...hasn’t he retired from that job? In the interests of balance, we should surely be hearing from bottom consultants as well.

joe sod

In fairness black and white photos are flattering, you dont see the details like wrinkles . But people were definitely more stylishly dressed especially men with hats and suits, no beer bellies, track suit bottoms or trousers hanging off the butt.
Also people were fitter because they were doing physical not sedentary jobs. I think thats the biggest health issue today , too many people sitting in offices all day.

recedite

Sugar was actually quite plentiful. Even poor people could afford bread and butter with a mug of sugary tae.
What was largely absent was; flouride in the water, toothbrushes, toothpaste, and orthodontists.

neveragain

No surgery tae in our house I'm afraid, but tooth brushes and awful tasting toothpaste was readily available.
Homemade soda bread and good old country butter, jasus I'd gladly do jail for those treats now.

74 years old and 5 teeth missing, not bad eh.

omgsquared

Agree and probably a lot more intelligent

Popular Threads

Most Replies