Irish people were better looking in the 1950s -Dr Chris Luke

Sweet Darling

RodShaft

Such sweetness!

It is indeed me. I can't prove it - though Rural has had my personal e-mail address for years and could vouch for me she e-mailed me, but I don't know if she'd want to.

I'd like to come back completely in my old guise - I think some of my old drivel is still on here but I don't know quite how it all works since the big crash and rebirth.

I can't log back in because in an effort to stop myself returning, I changed my registered e-mail address on P.ie to a throwaway one so I couldn't ask for a password reset then reset my password to a stream of gibberish I didn't write down or remember.

If there's a technical way of reactivacting my old account, I'd do it
I know you PM'd me with details of your new hoped for career. I don't know if you told the forum publicly. Feel free to confirm that back to me.

RodShaft

I know you PM'd me with details of your new hoped for career. I don't know if you told the forum publicly. Feel free to confirm that back to me.

Ignore this, I see Rural has you sorted.

soubresauts

No it's not. We are living longer thanks to our health service, and have better teeth thanks to government fluoridation of our water.

010)
That's from 2017 figures. Ireland is following the American trend, and America's life expectancy has now started to go down.

You believe the government propaganda about fluoridation, but you've been had.

soubresauts

More of your anti vaxxer anti fluoride nonsense.
1. Fluoridation saved the teeth of many in the nation.
There's no evidence for this claim. Northern Ireland hasn't been fluoridated (except for two towns, Holywood and Tandragee, for a few years). Scotland too -- completely unfluoridated. Do you think they have worse teeth?

2. That’s a desperate attempt there to link fluoridation with orthodontics. As you well know,
Actually I do know this stuff very well. I've been studying it for nearly 30 years, whereas you know nothing about it. There is ample scientific evidence that ingested fluoride delays the eruption of teeth. With serious implications for orthodontics of course.

4. More fakery there on tooth decay, the reason for that is due to sugar, in foods and fizzy drinks.
Yes, sugar is the cause of tooth decay, though doctors and dentists are very reluctant to say it. And fluoridation was supposed to be the cure for tooth decay, or "the only answer to the problem". That was the justification for fluoridation offered by the Government since the late 1950s (as they accepted huge payments from Washington to promote fluoridation), and by HC Judge Kenny and the SC in the Ryan case (1963-64) which gave the green light to fluoridation, contrary to all common sense, scientific knowledge, and European legal precedent.

5. Many people bypass the waiting lists for their children by going private.
Obviously, if you can afford it...

Emily Davison

I agree with you here, its also especially bad for the hair because it washes away too much oils from the hair.
Anecdotally people had better hair and less early onset grey when they were not showering everyday in times past.
Probably more reasons for this aswell, maybe sedentary stressful jobs in overheated offices also a factor.
Even the travellers have full heads of dark hair into middle age, much longer than their settled compatriots.
By jingo you’ve got it. I shall stop showering altogether and become a traveller. Why didn’t I think of that before. Oddly though travellers life expectancy isn’t all that great. But I suppose dying early with great hair is a compensation.

Emily Davison

There's no evidence for this claim. Northern Ireland hasn't been fluoridated (except for two towns, Holywood and Tandragee, for a few years). Scotland too -- completely unfluoridated. Do you think they have worse teeth?

Actually I do know this stuff very well. I've been studying it for nearly 30 years, whereas you know nothing about it. There is ample scientific evidence that ingested fluoride delays the eruption of teeth. With serious implications for orthodontics of course.

Yes, sugar is the cause of tooth decay, though doctors and dentists are very reluctant to say it. And fluoridation was supposed to be the cure for tooth decay, or "the only answer to the problem". That was the justification for fluoridation offered by the Government since the late 1950s (as they accepted huge payments from Washington to promote fluoridation), and by HC Judge Kenny and the SC in the Ryan case (1963-64) which gave the green light to fluoridation, contrary to all common sense, scientific knowledge, and European legal precedent.

A wasted 30 years studying then.

Blokesbloke

No harm in having double confirmation! PM'd you x

omgsquared

30 YRS Study ? Fluoride Sugar Biting fishing line, Opening bottle caps , smoking, etc etc Whatever you put in yr mouth , body probably has an effect on yr teeth. But personal responsibility is the key, Brush yr f....teeth .
I have to an extraction next week , hate the thought, would rather be dragged on my arse over gravel behind a car,
Why the extraction/ I did not brush them when I was a nipper.. and probably not enough when I was older. Also doing a temp home repair job with superglue a few years ago when I broke the tooth and no dentist available did not help but it did the job for a few years.
Oh I do hate dental visits

amsterdemmetje

Convenience food and cheap booze. Kids no longer learn to cook food. Irish stew was cheap and easy to cook - throw a bit of meat and whatever vegetables and potatoes are available and boil. Coddle was the cheap Dublin version. Porridge is the choice of many in factory canteens, many of us still eat the way we were taught, obesity is a consequence of ignorance and laziness rather than poverty.
Im cooking for myself nowadays and was given a gift of a slow cooker and by jaysus it is the dogs bollix especially regarding stews of any kind.

amsterdemmetje

Its interesting that being bald, and cropping hair tightly is now acceptable in the past 15 years. It would have been skinhead / boot boy years back. As I said to my mum " it's this or a comb over / krusty the clown hairstyle".

Business suits and ties are awful in an office. My default is slacks/ dark Jeans, fitted shirt and lambs wool/ merino sweater. Also fitted. Better than a tired suit, which is never comfortable.

Baldness means beanies in winter. Which are also acceptable now, and can look neat.

Outside of tracksuits (which are an abomination anywhere outside of a sports ground), a neat person will look neat regardless of fashion or clothing. And a slob will look like a slob.

Contrast Varadkar with Johnson.
Never a truer word spoken .

pedagogus

The personal hygiene thing is worthy of consideration. There was a guy I played alongside as a teammate in cricket. He was an all-rounder, and a superb cricketer. He was also very much into New Age thinking.

The reason I say that he was an all-rounder is because he would typically in a match bowl upwards of ten overs at fast-medium and then maybe bat for an hour or so. He was very physically active.

I never - even on the hottest days - saw him take a shower. That's because he never took one. Nor did he use deodorants.

The guy did not smell. Seriously. No BO whatever.
While overweight people do sweat more than they would if they were lighter ,it does not follow that slim fit people do not sweat much. It's variable. I have always been fit and active and hardly sweat even after heavy exercise. On the other hand, I have marathon running friends who sweat profusely after a little exercise.
It was convenient for me that I could cycle rapidly the 12k to my school and head directly to teach a class without having to cool down or change clothes.

CatullusV

While overweight people do sweat more than they would if they were lighter ,it does not follow that slim fit people do not sweat much. It's variable. I have always been fit and active and hardly sweat even after heavy exercise. On the other hand, I have marathon running friends who sweat profusely after a little exercise.
It was convenient for me that I could cycle rapidly the 12k to my school and head directly to teach a class without having to cool down or change clothes.
You are Prince Andrew and I claim my tenner 🤪.

Popular Threads

Most Replies