Irish people were better looking in the 1950s -Dr Chris Luke

CatullusV

Im cooking for myself nowadays and was given a gift of a slow cooker and by jaysus it is the dogs bollix especially regarding stews of any kind.
Everything is better when cooked slow. I've had one for many years.

Two benefits: you can use cheap cuts such as shin or shoulder, and, you can have an extra beer when you are out without being obliged to arrive home bang on time. Hell, the extra hour will improve it.

I swear by mine and have never sworn *at* it.

RodShaft

I did try anyway but it says I'm not allowed to view your profile or DM you. x

I haven't a clue about this new improved site.

I only drop in occaisionally. I tried to find the settings to allow people PM me, but couldn't find it.

I'm sure Rural will confirm anyway.

toughbutfair

Cheap suits look terrible but if you are in shape a good suit really accentuates your good points. If you are on the pull, girls flock to you. I'm lucky with my hair but I know some balding guys who used to say they'd shave it off but they are clinging to the bit they have. Can't really blame them as shaving it must seem so final.

Emily Davison

30 YRS Study ? Fluoride Sugar Biting fishing line, Opening bottle caps , smoking, etc etc Whatever you put in yr mouth , body probably has an effect on yr teeth. But personal responsibility is the key, Brush yr f....teeth .
I have to an extraction next week , hate the thought, would rather be dragged on my arse over gravel behind a car,
Why the extraction/ I did not brush them when I was a nipper.. and probably not enough when I was older. Also doing a temp home repair job with superglue a few years ago when I broke the tooth and no dentist available did not help but it did the job for a few years.
Oh I do hate dental visits
Is this a wind up. You used superglue on your teeth! How on earth did you manage not to glue your teeth together!!

Last edited:

CatullusV

I'm the proud owner of a trilby, a fedora, and a genuine Panama. They see daily use.

I see hats fairly frequently these days.
People know that when I wear the fedora I am someone who has sauciness on their mind and a glint in their eye which isn't entirely born of innocence. Doffing the hat to a lady may look like like a courtesy, but is also the puffing out of chest feathers, the subtle rise of a tail, the display of the peacock.

Oh, fūck it. Who am I kidding? Those days are long gone. When I doff my hat I really am just being old-school polite.

You know something? People respond. They smile. They recognise something from the past, and they beam welcome to me. One of the best things I ever bought was my trilby.

CatullusV

Personal hygiene standards have improved a fair bit since then.

Your suit would be rank in places and will wear out far faster with daily wear. Ditto your shoes.
I keep ten suits on a cycle. I buy expensive and they last a very long time indeed. Same with shoes. I expect twenty years from a pair.

Sweet Darling

That's from 2017 figures. Ireland is following the American trend, and America's life expectancy has now started to go down.

You believe the government propaganda about fluoridation, but you've been had.
Aldi are doing catering size tin foil rolls at the mo

MsDaisyC

Actually I do know this stuff very well. I've been studying it for nearly 30 years, whereas you know nothing about it. There is ample scientific evidence that ingested fluoride delays the eruption of teeth. With serious implications for orthodontics of course.
30 years of reading batcrap crazy on the internet and nothing to show for it!

www.zomfgflourideisbad.com isn't a legitmate source.

CatullusV

There's no evidence for this claim. Northern Ireland hasn't been fluoridated (except for two towns, Holywood and Tandragee, for a few years). Scotland too -- completely unfluoridated. Do you think they have worse teeth?

Actually I do know this stuff very well. I've been studying it for nearly 30 years, whereas you know nothing about it. There is ample scientific evidence that ingested fluoride delays the eruption of teeth. With serious implications for orthodontics of course.

Yes, sugar is the cause of tooth decay, though doctors and dentists are very reluctant to say it. And fluoridation was supposed to be the cure for tooth decay, or "the only answer to the problem". That was the justification for fluoridation offered by the Government since the late 1950s (as they accepted huge payments from Washington to promote fluoridation), and by HC Judge Kenny and the SC in the Ryan case (1963-64) which gave the green light to fluoridation, contrary to all common sense, scientific knowledge, and European legal precedent.

Obviously, if you can afford it...
30 years of study must have resulted in some peer-reviewed publications. Bring them on.

omgsquared

Is this a wind up. You used superglue on your teeth! How on earth dud you manage not to glue your teeth together!!
No just put a drop of superglue on the end of what was knocked out and then held it in for a few seconds. It lasted for a couple of years, it is not recommended but did the job. I once also stitched myself on the leg . I also once put a splint on a broken wrist ( snuff box) that did the job for four days until I got to a Doc, Drove 600km over dirt roads with the home made splint. Bloody sore .. took a few brufen
Sometimes you just got to do what you have to do.

Blokesbloke

This all sounds terribly... tough and hardy,

Schmetterling

People know that when I wear the fedora I am someone who has sauciness on their mind and a glint in their eye which isn't entirely born of innocence. Doffing the hat to a lady may look like like a courtesy, but is also the puffing out of chest feathers, the subtle rise of a tail, the display of the peacock.

Oh, fūck it. Who am I kidding? Those days are long gone. When I doff my hat I really am just being old-school polite.

You know something? People respond. They smile. They recognise something from the past, and they beam welcome to me. One of the best things I ever bought was my trilby.
I rarely see a man in a stylish hat these days, but on the rare occasion that I do I take notice. Old or young they cut a dashing figure. And with that sentence I betray myself as old! In my opinion there is nothing so stylish as the 1940s and 1950s, I love vintage clothing and own a few beautiful pieces but it's hard to get them to fit a modern woman. It's not just a matter of us carrying a few extra lbs (or stones), we are built bigger, taller and broader with bigger hands and feet. Better nutrition I expect. And of course when we see images of those times it's Hollywood films and glossy fashion shots, I'm sure everyday life for everyday people was a little less glamorous. Mind you if reincarnation is a thing, I really, really want to come back as Mrs Maisel :-D

Rural

Such sweetness!

It is indeed me. I can't prove it - though Rural has had my personal e-mail address for years and could vouch for me she e-mailed me, but I don't know if she'd want to.

I'd like to come back completely in my old guise - I think some of my old drivel is still on here but I don't know quite how it all works since the big crash and rebirth.

I can't log back in because in an effort to stop myself returning, I changed my registered e-mail address on P.ie to a throwaway one so I couldn't ask for a password reset then reset my password to a stream of gibberish I didn't write down or remember.

If there's a technical way of reactivacting my old account, I'd do it

Can I just assure anyone who doubts - This is the BlokesBloke that we all know and love to bits.

You may put up your "Seánie" avatar now Blokes, you are back.xxx

lastofthebohemians

Twitter
Daniel King/ex Daniel/Daxxdrake
Can I just assure anyone who doubts - This is the BlokesBloke that we all know and love to bits.

Ah jasus Rural, its like a Disney fairytale has come true on an obscure Irish Political site. :geek: LOL

CatullusV

Such sweetness!

It is indeed me. I can't prove it - though Rural has had my personal e-mail address for years and could vouch for me she e-mailed me, but I don't know if she'd want to.

I'd like to come back completely in my old guise - I think some of my old drivel is still on here but I don't know quite how it all works since the big crash and rebirth.

I can't log back in because in an effort to stop myself returning, I changed my registered e-mail address on P.ie to a throwaway one so I couldn't ask for a password reset then reset my password to a stream of gibberish I didn't write down or remember.

If there's a technical way of reactivacting my old account, I'd do it
You are so so welcome back! It is wonderful that you are here. I've also undergone a name change..

I'm hoping that your return is herald of good things happening in your life.

It is great to see you back.

CatullusV

Seconded. My favourite poster. Besides yourself, of course. BB is back!

Oh... " love to bits"?

Absolutely.

Last edited:

CatullusV

I have to say it: in BB's previous incarnation here he was pro-Brexit and campaigned on it. He was never ever strident about it and was never other than polite and even charming about it. He copped a lot of flak. Dammit, if he'd called to my door with a leaflet I'd happily have brewed up some tea and discreetly binned the leaflet, but I would have enjoyed a discussion without animosity.

I really am chuffed that he is back.

CatullusV

very very hardy and a bit stupid at times but we do what we do ,, live life
The broken wrist happened was when I was hunting Buffalo
I once performed dental surgery in an emergency. Ot was a cricket match and two of our fielders collided when going for a catch. One of them lost two front teeth, roots and all. I raced to the pavillion, got ice and water and a couple of clean tea towels. I put the teeth back in and got him to clench on the icy tea towels, replacing one with the other in a cycle.

He still has those teeth thirty years later.

His dentist told him that the promptness of the intervention saved his teeth.

I tell the story not to bask in glory; I had heard of the same thing happening in a hockey matches years before, so i was prepared.

I tell it purely for information in case anyone reading this encounters a similar situation.

Get the teeth bank in before swelling prevents that possibility and apply cold pressure.

Public service announcement over.

Popular Threads

Most Replies