Irish political defections rarely end well

Breanainn

As Stephen Donnelly embarks on his new direction in FF, he may do well to contemplate that high-profile defections have rarely succeeded in Irish political history. Of course, the most famous example was that of Michael O'Leary, who quit as leader of Labour, joined FG and promptly marched into backbench obscurity, with his political career over within five years. Noel Browne went through a plethora of parties, including both Labour and FF, but never again made the same impact as in his time with Clann na Poblachta. Colm Keaveney failed to secure re-election, even in a conservative Galway East, but have any prominent statesmen actually bucked the historical trend?

DaveM

Martin Cullen did quite alright for himself when he bailed from the PDs to FF.

callas

As Stephen Donnelly embarks on his new direction in FF, he may do well to contemplate that high-profile defections have rarely succeeded in Irish political history. Of course, the most famous example was that of Michael O'Leary, who quit as leader of Labour, joined FG and promptly marched into backbench obscurity, with his political career over within five years. Noel Browne went through a plethora of parties, including both Labour and FF, but never again made the same impact as in his time with Clann na Poblachta. Colm Keaveney failed to secure re-election, even in a conservative Galway East, but have any prominent statesmen actually bucked the historical trend?
Traitor joins traitor party.

No surprise. He has been denying his intentions for years now. No doubt his calculation is that we have, at this stage, forgotten what happened the last time Micheal Martin was in government and that it has taken us a decade to recover from the last bout of fiannafailitis.

Last edited:

between the bridges

Djarrydango left what he was never in...

gerhard dengler

Showing my age here, Michael O'Leary's departure from Labour to FG didn't work out politically in 1980's.

On the other hand the rebranding of the Stickies worked very well for Gimmemore, Phat Wabbit and PPP Francis Ross.

ger12

They've (FF) made him spokesperson for Brexit.

Clever move. Highlights FG and Endas error in not appointing someone to head Brexit while ensuring the new transfer has a good decent role. This might just end up being the exception to the rule.

TheWolf

True - she was passed over for candidate selection. But hers was a political defection nonetheless.
Big difference between a member of a political party jumping ship, and a sitting TD, who was elected on a certain platform, jumping ship.
Do you think the people who voted for Donnelly will vote for him again now he's joined the political party who destroyed Ireland by bringing the IMF to our shores?

Deadlock

Big difference between a member of a political party jumping ship, and a sitting TD, who was elected on a certain platform, jumping ship.
Do you think the people who voted for Donnelly will vote for him again now he's joined the political party who destroyed Ireland by bringing the IMF to our shores?
Re MLMcD I don't think so - not really - one party apparatchik is as good as any another - I guess the only question was had they broken faith with those who put them there in the process.

Re SD That's an interesting question - frankly I'd doubt it. Wicklow will remember this and punish it. I'm given to understand FF considers they have a Dick Roche sized hole in that constituency, and they're possibly interested in filling that square hole with a circular peg. Not a great fit, and a misuse of Donnelly's intellect. Whatever else he may be, Donnelly is no Roche, and the fit is poor.

I'm reminded more of George Lee entering FG here. We know how that turned out. This won't end well for FF or Donnelly.

Last edited:

TedHankey

Re MLMcD I don't think so - not really - one party apparatchik is as good as any another - I guess the only question was had they broken faith with those who put them there in the process.

Re SD That's an interesting question - frankly I'd doubt it. Wicklow will remember this and punish it. I'm given to understand FF considers they have a Dick Roche sized hole in that constituency, and they're possibly interested in filling that square hole with a circular peg. Not a great fit, and a misuse of Donnelly's intellect. Whatever else he may be, Donnelly is no Roche, and the fit is poor.

I'm reminded of more George Lee entering FG here. We know how that turned out. This won't end well for FF or Donnelly.
To me phrenology is pseudoscience but I can see where you're coming from...

Deadlock

To me phrenology is pseudoscience but I can see where you're coming from...

LMFAO is a grossly overused but perfect description for the effects of your post, TedHankey. You win the Internets today!

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies