Irish Quiz Shows and Newspaper Quizzes.

Socratus O' Pericles

In the spirit of nostalgia I'm asking folk to contribute their memories, anecdotes, thoughts and other contributions on this testing subject.

My own recollections are that Irish quizzes are a bit shít.

Anyone recall Norman Metcalfe and his musical clues..............stop the lights.................

Larry Gogan's just a minute quiz,

Ireland's Classical Music Panel Quiz, a couple of knobes under the chairperson-ship of Andy O' Mahony (I think) would pretend to recognise obscure fugues and their composers,

Irish Schools Quiz..............Saint Aloysius from Gort v Saint Gobnait from Glanmire,

Spot the ball on the Sunday Press and Indo (put you x next to where the ball should be) on a grainy b/w pic.

Crosaire the IT crossword on the other hand was and is "a national treasure"....... as they say in blighty.

Not forgetting Murphy's Micro Quiz-m

?

statsman

Jimmy Magee was one of the co-hosts for the schools quiz sponsored by Smiths Crisps. I was on it for a few weeks; loads of free bags of crisps, biros and other tat.

Rural

Crosier was best when Derek Crozier was alive, the new "Crosheir" is not as clever and sometimes impossible, they even had to set up a blog to explain how the result was achieved.

Bunny Carr's Quicksilver (stop the lights) was a bit of a laugh, like where did they get the contestants?

Larry's "Just A Minute" was good and sometimes terribly funny - I won on it many years back, I got a Gloria Estefan cassette and a plaque with Larry's face on it, which I put on a shelf in the kitchen, it kept the children away from the biscuits.

Some of the answers given on Larry's Just A Minute Quiz:

Something a blind man might use? A sword
A Song with the word Moon in the title? Blue Suede Moon
Name the Capital of France? F
Name a bird with a long Neck? Naomi Campbell
Name an occupation where you might need a torch? A burglar
Where is the Taj Mahal? Opposite the Dental Hospital
What is Hitlers first name? Heil
As happy as…. (Larry gave a hint: “think of my name”) A pig in ************************
Some famous brothers? Bonnie and Clyde
A dangerous race? The Arabs

redhead

In the spirit of nostalgia I'm asking folk to contribute their memories, anecdotes, thoughts and other contributions on this testing subject.

My own recollections are that Irish quizzes are a bit shít.

Anyone recall Norman Metcalfe and his musical clues..............stop the lights.................

Larry Gogan's just a minute quiz,

Ireland's Classical Music Panel Quiz, a couple of knobes under the chairperson-ship of Andy O' Mahony (I think) would pretend to recognise obscure fugues and their composers,

Irish Schools Quiz..............Saint Aloysius from Gort v Saint Gobnait from Glanmire,

Spot the ball on the Sunday Press and Indo (put you x next to where the ball should be) on a grainy b/w pic.

Crosaire the IT crossword on the other hand was and is "a national treasure"....... as they say in blighty.

Not forgetting Murphy's Micro Quiz-m

?
Michael Dwyer's annual film quiz in the IT was a delight that could leave you puzzling for days. The RTE Guide film quiz was a good second.

Donald Clarke's weekly movie quiz in the IT is a highlight of The Ticket...

You might be sensing a theme...

Rural

RTÉ also had Challenging Times, a copy of University Challenge on BBC and Meyers actually succeeded in being more smug and obnoxious than Paxman.

A few more Just A Minute Quiz answers:

Something that floats in a bath? Water
An item of clothing worn by the Three Musketeers? A horse
Something you wear on a beach? A deckchair
A famous Royal? Mail
Something that flies that doesn’t have an engine? A bicycle with wings
A famous bridge? The Bridge Over Troubled Waters
Something a cat does? Goes to the toilet
Something you do in the bathroom? Decorate
A method of securing your home? Put the kettle on
Something associated with pigs? The Police

Mr. Bumble

I actually heard this live:

Larry: A part of a pig?
Contestant: Backgammon.

Mr. Bumble

Another I heard live, can't remember if it was part of a quiz:

Gerry Ryan: Where would you like to be buried?
Caller: Up to my balls in Bibi Baskin.

Casablanca

I remember a thing call Cross Country Quiz where a team from the IFA or Macra or something would compete. I think it was presented by Liam Devalley, who was also a singer and used to feature on The Waltons Programme.

The reason I remember the quiz is (I think) that it might have used Popcorn by Hot Butter as its theme tune.

Rural

Another I heard live, can't remember if it was part of a quiz:

Gerry Ryan: Where would you like to be buried?
Caller: Up to my balls in Bibi Baskin.
He was doing a piece about your plans for your funeral, like some wanted their ashes strewn around Croke Park, that sort of thing! Then this caller wanted to be buried "up to me balls in Bibi Baskin"!

Brilliant radio!:D

Mike Murphy used to do a radio quiz in the afternoons called Panel Beaters, Pauline McGlynn was a regular on that and it was good fun.

D

Deleted member 48908

Pure gold...

[video=youtube;bG3bAkyr63A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG3bAkyr63A[/video]

Socratus O' Pericles

RTÉ also had Challenging Times, a copy of University Challenge on BBC and Meyers actually succeeded in being more smug and obnoxious than Paxman.

A few more Just A Minute Quiz answers:

Something that floats in a bath? Water
An item of clothing worn by the Three Musketeers? A horse
Something you wear on a beach? A deckchair
A famous Royal? Mail
Something that flies that doesn’t have an engine? A bicycle with wings
A famous bridge? The Bridge Over Troubled Waters
Something a cat does? Goes to the toilet
Something you do in the bathroom? Decorate
A method of securing your home? Put the kettle on
Something associated with pigs? The Police
Glad to see everyone joining in.petunia

Socratus O' Pericles

There's this show called Winning Streak, the contestants line up at a starting point and remove all their clothing.............

Rural

Gaybo tried his hand at Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, that wasn't great and beforehand he actually said that he was the only one who could do it.:rolleyes:

And Dunphy tried his hand at The Weakest Link, he turned out to be the weakest link there!

RodShaft

He was doing a piece about your plans for your funeral, like some wanted their ashes strewn around Croke Park, that sort of thing! Then this caller wanted to be buried "up to me balls in Bibi Baskin"!

Brilliant radio!:D

Mike Murphy used to do a radio quiz in the afternoons called Panel Beaters, Pauline McGlynn was a regular on that and it was good fun.
I reminded the fair Bibi of that quote personally some time back. Her response was to the effect that she'd forgotten about that!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies