• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Irish Rail Meet-&-Greeters - Why?

This Country

Just returned home after a period out of the country and found these people with "I'm here to help" jackets on every DART platform.

Can this really be a justifiable use of money for a company that's losing it hand over fist? Isn't the point of mechanical turnstiles precisely so we don't have to pay for people to stand around and get in passengers' way?

I had the classic Irish Rail situation of trying to get through a turnstile, which naturally had a green light for those entering and for those leaving at the same time, while the train I was trying to catch was unloading half its passengers in the opposite direction, and the "I'm here to help" person just stood and smiled at everyone.

If the machines worked (or were programmed) properly and the signage was clear, there would be no need to pay these people to do their jobs for them. If for some reason it's impossible to programme the machines so they function properly or design signs that aren't misleading, they could at least employ greeters who have the gumption to intervene when necessary! Having a lame dog and barking yourself rather than just repairing the leg in the first place…

Anyway, perhaps this is being pedantic and holding Irish Rail to too high a standard, but the whole thing just seems madness to me!

Bea C

Just returned home after a period out of the country and found these people with "I'm here to help" jackets on every DART platform.

Can this really be a justifiable use of money for a company that's losing it hand over fist? Isn't the point of mechanical turnstiles precisely so we don't have to pay for people to stand around and get in passengers' way?

I had the classic Irish Rail situation of trying to get through a turnstile, which naturally had a green light for those entering and for those leaving at the same time, while the train I was trying to catch was unloading half its passengers in the opposite direction, and the "I'm here to help" person just stood and smiled at everyone.

If the machines worked (or were programmed) properly and the signage was clear, there would be no need to pay these people to do their jobs for them. If for some reason it's impossible to programme the machines so they function properly or design signs that aren't misleading, they could at least employ greeters who have the gumption to intervene when necessary! Having a lame dog and barking yourself rather than just repairing the leg in the first place…

Anyway, perhaps this is being pedantic and holding Irish Rail to too high a standard, but the whole thing just seems madness to me!
Public transport is great.
On arriving in Dublin over the summer there was this dim cow standing on the platform right at the door. You need a bit of space if you're to pull a case off, so I said excuse me. She looked at me. I said it again. She shifted literally an inch or two. I explained how I needed to pull a sizeable case off, could she please move. Again an inch or two. I'd have pulled the thing and crashed it into her, only there was also a child there. Anyway, two Irish Rail workers watched on.
I once gave a speech at Toastmasters about my clashes as I've traveled. I called it 'Heuston, We Have a Problem'.

Analyzer

Sounds like a PR gimmick.

They still cannot get the trains to run on schedule. It is 2016 4F$ !!!!

They cannot run a rail freight business despite the distances and road traffic congestion in much of east and south east coast.

They only ever lose money.

And the trains are overflowing with people on a Monday morning, and Friday evening.

Thanks for the OP.

IR are clueless. State monopoly, with an endless supply of PAYE taxpayers money. And endless support from PRAVDA-rte, and The Sh!te Rimes.

Where is Shane Ross, TD ? I thought he was in charge !!!

Can he not get on the case and cut out the nonsense ?

Bea C

They cannot run a rail freight business despite the distances and road traffic congestion in much of east and south east coast.

And the trains are overflowing with people on a Monday morning, and Friday evening.

Thanks for the OP.

IR are clueless. State monopoly, with an endless supply of PAYE taxpayers money. And endless support from PRAVDA-rte, and The Sh!te Rimes.

In a box?

Analyzer

Having used public transport in other countries, including India (where it efficiently on low budgets, and very old machinery ) and the US ( where it is not a local preference ) , I am astounded by the amateurism that exists in Irish Rail.

IR have a problem with essentials of the service.

These need serious analysis.

Analyzer

Commuter services are often inadequate for the demand.

It seems to be IR policy to respond to this, by keeping the commuter services in such a state that people will opt to drive instead.....

Eire1976

Thanks for the OP.

Is that you Michael?

Bea C

Aside from commuter services Irish trains are fairly pointless. Is there any intercity service which is faster than road now?
Possibly not, but some of us cannot drive.

Felixness

There was one on a train from Dublin to Limerick last year, he wanted to chat and I just wanted him to go away so Ii could eat my sandwich.

Website
www.merrionstreet.ie

Are they on work placement ?

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Trains? I wouldn't use Irish rail under any circumstances.

The last time I used one of their filthy cow carriers, there were people alternating between drinking and vomiting, no seats and no staff around.

You would be better off walking.

ergo2

I disagree with the negative comments

I have been using the Dublin/Westport service for years, and occasionally Dublin/Sligo.

There have been improvements over the years in speed and reliability.

Staff have always been helpful.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

I disagree with the negative comments

I have been using the Dublin/Westport service for years, and occasionally Dublin/Sligo.

There have been improvements over the years in speed and reliability.

Staff have always been helpful.
The last time I was on a train from Dublin to Cork, I was asked by the tea lady if I wanted anything, asked for a coffee, which never arrived. She arrived back later to collect the money and I had to get the other 3 people (who I did not know) to vouch that neither me nor them got coffees and teas. Her attitude was appalling. Rubbish service.

Franzoni

Fine Gaels vote "Yes for Jobs" strategy......

Probably need about four different certs from various quangos before you can even put on the hi-vis and go on the platform for 'work experience' that is about as useful as a chocolate fireplace....

"See dat over der ..dat's a train ... dangerous yokes so they are...."

Seanie Lemass

On arriving in Dublin over the summer there was this dim cow standing on the platform right at the door. You need a bit of space if you're to pull a case off, so I said excuse me. She looked at me. I said it again. She shifted literally an inch or two. I explained how I needed to pull a sizeable case off, could she please move. Again an inch or two. I'd have pulled the thing and crashed it into her, only there was also a child there. Anyway, two Irish Rail workers watched on.
I once gave a speech at Toastmasters about my clashes as I've traveled. I called it 'Heuston, We Have a Problem'.

You should just have done what MacMenamin did to Crowley.

Big shoulder. Problem solved :)

dizillusioned

They DO sell hair products in Dublin....;)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies