Irish Rail Train Drivers on Strike.

hiker

I heard on the radio this morning that half the country was left high but not dry by a train drivers dispute.
Apparantly they wont drive the new trains unles they get few quid more in the wages. :roll:

Bullmccabe

aw the poor things.......
being expected to adapt to better equipment, more user friendly, modern controls and safety measures and a more comfortable chair for themselves and not getting an extra bit af cash as well.

Better not give them a new uniform anytime soon or it'll be another increase.

Sidewinder

Is there any way any Government can actually just call a halt to this attitude in the public sector? What would the courts do if faced with an argument between a Government arguing fiscal responsibility and citing private-sector norms; and the unions citing decades of precedent and custom?

Random side comment: do Unions still exist to any great degree in the private sector? No company I've ever worked with has been unionised. Are there any industries where they are still strong?

Bullmccabe

well the retail industry anyhow, Both Dunnes stores and Tesco staff have very strong union representation.

Vanilla

One of the union gobshites was on the news just there.

Believe it or not he actually had the brass neck to blame Iarnrod Eireann for the whole thing , becuase it was they who cancelled the train services.

The fool obviously thinks that there was no need for them to do so, because the trains could drive themselves :roll: :roll:

hiker

Sidewinder said:
Is there any way any Government can actually just call a halt to this attitude in the public sector?
Yeap.

Return about 30 PD TD's after the next election and we'll sort them out. 8)

Gladstone

Funny, nobody on this thread has yet asked what their current pay is, or considerd if it's enough, just leaped to the assumption that they are crankey brats.

I don't agree with lightning strikes like this tho

zoinks

dunno what their wage is, but if i got a new computer in work, would i demand more money to use it?

hiker

Gladstone said:
Funny, nobody on this thread has yet asked what their current pay is, or considerd if it's enough, just leaped to the assumption that they are crankey brats.

I think its about 700 euro a week.

Bullmccabe

If their wages were unfair then im sure we'd have heard about it earlier.
They are just using this as an excuse.

€700 per week, and they're never required to work long shifts or more than 6 days in a row and no traffic to worry about

where do i sign?

Gladstone

erm...aren't most people not required to work more than FIVE...days in a row....
wonder what tthat 700 is after tax

Bullmccabe

erm...aren't most people not required to work more than FIVE...days in a row....
possibly but my job i get two/three days a week off but they could be any two or three.therefore i could work eight or nine days in a row and then have four or five days off in a two week period.

€700 is between €500 and €550 a week depending on tax credits

Simbo67

Gladstone said:

They said on News at one that it was 50k a year. I am sure that compares favourably around the world. Also, they agreed to the introduction of these (newer/more comfortable/safer!) trains 4 years ago and got a pay rise out of it-4 (Four!) years ago!

gaelpol

Where's Maggie Thatcher when you need her? A few weeks of soldiers driving the trains and no pay would soon bring these Trotskyites to their senses! And (bad coming from a FFer) what the hell is that idiot Cullen doing about this?

zoinks

50k, nearly twice the average wage, and still unions want more (but it’s for our benefit by the way, they are fighting for workers everywhere)

In most business people are glad they are given new equipment, it means they are more employable to other companies, not in a state company, they want to sit on their laurels

Simbo67

gaelpol said:
Where's Maggie Thatcher when you need her? A few weeks of soldiers driving the trains and no pay would soon bring these Trotskyites to their senses! And (bad coming from a FFer) what the hell is that idiot Cullen doing about this?
Well the trains to waterford are working fine so he doesnt give a damn! Afterall he is the Minister for Waterford and new roads

Gladstone

mmm they do seem to be paid well for the job they do.

I agree, they are cranky brats, we need a Reagan airport strike style soloution! :wink:

zoinks said:
dunno what their wage is, but if i got a new computer in work, would i demand more money to use it?
That would depend upon what strings came with the new computer. What if your workload increased significantly, would you be happy working for the same money?

zoinks

DevilsAdvocate said:
zoinks said:
That would depend upon what strings came with the new computer. What if your workload increased significantly, would you be happy working for the same money?
true if i needed to learn new software, that required me to work for a extra day for the next year.

but if i had to learn new software that is now the industry standard for my particular profession, and i had already got paid to learn it??? How long does it take to learn how to drive a new train anyways???

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies