Irish self loathing to blame - renowned psychoanalyst.

Pat Mc Larnon

World famous psycho analyst and veteran of many a World War, Colonel Myers has given his considered opinion on why the Irish nation now stands on the brink. Self loathing is central to his thesis.
Expanding on his theory the Colonel uses the example of charitable workers going to Africa to build thousands of homes for those who have yet to overcome the problems of the colonialism so dear to the Colonel's heart. It is all down to the self loathing they have for themselves and the country.
If only someone would just put their arms around the nation and have a chat with us over a nice cup of tea then the world would seem a better place

Arracht

Makes sense. It explains why Geldof and Bono want to save the world, otherwise they'd probably stick their heads in in a fire as they hate being Irish so much.

Come to think of it, I wish they would stick their heads in a fire.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Makes sense. It explains why Geldof and Bono want to save the world, otherwise they'd probably stick their heads in in a fire as they hate being Irish so much.

Come to think of it, I wish they would stick their heads in a fire.
They go around trying to save the world, because they don't want to acknowledge the fact that they are both tax scamming scumbags when it comes to Ireland.. end of

Arracht

They go around trying to save the world, because they don't want to acknowledge the fact that they are both tax scamming scumbags when it comes to Ireland.. end of
Maybe they accepted their knighthoods because their self loathing scumbags then?

Even Paul Weller refused his and he is English.

Tiocfaidh_Armani

Exactly, if everyone was like them we'd be like a third world country ourselves. Although, we're on the way to that already!

mistercrabs

Well he's right about this - Irish people have a huge self-esteem problem, and we all know it's true. Look at it on this website. It's full of people badmouthing not the politicians or bankers who did this, but simply Irishness pure and simple. And now they're all going to leave this country because the logic goes that this country can never be good enough to build itself up again, because we're just inadequate pure and simple. And tragically, it's the smartest one who have the biggest issues.

Fr. Hank Tree

Well he's right about this - Irish people have a huge self-esteem problem, and we all know it's true. Look at it on this website. It's full of people badmouthing not the politicians or bankers who did this, but simply Irishness pure and simple. And now they're all going to leave this country because the logic goes that this country can never be good enough to build itself up again, because we're just inadequate pure and simple. And tragically, it's the smartest one who have the biggest issues.
You have a point but I don't think this is what Myarse is referring to.

Cassandra Syndrome

From a behavioural context I would say that we as a nation procrastinate and desire instant gratification more than the continentals.

In other words we would require a higher rate of interest to save for the future and a higher rate of interest to price in our lust to borrow for everything now now now. We have more of a hedonistic streak in us that the continentals, possibly from our overwhelming Pagan heritage.

Our interest rates were too low for too long and the ability to feed the binge was facilitated by access to funding from mainland Europe. Massive bubble, even bigger bust.

Arracht

. We have more of a hedonistic streak in us that the continentals, possibly from our overwhelming Pagan heritage.

The Scandinavians were pagan a lot longer than us.

mistercrabs

You have a point but I don't think this is what Myarse is referring to.
No, but i just thought I'd throw it in there! In fact nobody, but nobody, has a bigger issue with being Irish than Kevin Myers. That's why he gets such a response, because he reflects a certain aspect of his readers that they don't like.

D

Dylan2010

From a behavioural context I would say that we as a nation procrastinate and desire instant gratification more than the continentals.

In other words we would require a higher rate of interest to save for the future and a higher rate of interest to price in our lust to borrow for everything now now now. We have more of a hedonistic streak in us that the continentals, possibly from our overwhelming Pagan heritage.

Our interest rates were too low for too long and the ability to feed the binge was facilitated by access to funding from mainland Europe. Massive bubble, even bigger bust.

interesting angle, one would think our "natural" character be more like the Scots or Norweigans if we were feeling lucky. But even the Icelanders fell into the same economic traps. I guess the combination of sucking at the Empire's tit, the church and the latter welfare state dulled people into thinking that they deserve a free ride in life.
If one country cannot tolerate moral hazard in its diet, its Ireland.

Cassandra Syndrome

Cassandra Syndrome

interesting angle, one would think our "natural" character be more like the Scots or Norweigans if we were feeling lucky. But even the Icelanders fell into the same economic traps. I guess the combination of sucking at the Empire's tit, the church and the latter welfare state dulled people into thinking that they deserve a free ride in life.
If one country cannot tolerate moral hazard in its diet, its Ireland.
That is intriguing. Also we suffer from an anxiety neurosis level of fear of failure and status. Entrepreneurs would spend a lifetiming banging their heads against a wall earning nothing rather than pack it all in, admit defeat and try again like they do in the US. Our Victorian laws do no help in this either.

Cassandra Syndrome

They are not doing too badly with other peoples gas as well.
I blame Burke for that. Do you think an Irish mining company wouldn't try and get the best deal in a foreign country if they could?

Look at all the ripping off Thomas Edison did for example, that was the 50% coot hooerism in him from you know where.

ellie08

I blame catholicism. If you're happy, you think you've done something wrong! Only by feeling guilty are you saved!!

mistercrabs

I blame Burke for that. Do you think an Irish mining company wouldn't try and get the best deal in a foreign country if they could?

Look at all the ripping off Thomas Edison did for example, that was the 50% coot hooerism in him from you know where.
What we need to do is invite these companies in to drill for oil and gas with very favourable deals. Then when they hit the jackpot we pull a Chavez, kick em all out, and then take our rightful place next to Norway as the richest country in the world.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies