• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Irish spoken just 9 times in past 2 yrs at EU meetings yet 30+ translators employed !

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Europe has had to bail Ireland out, and it is austerity for all. Surely we can't afford silliness like this ? Even if...if you agree with spending the money on the Irish language : surely it would be better spent elsewhere ?

Irish spoken nine times at EU meetings - The Irish Times - Wed, Jan 09, 2013
Irish is recorded as having been spoken just nine times by Ministers at EU meetings over the past two years. In the European Parliament it is the least spoken of all 23 official languages.

Despite Irish being an official language in the EU since 2007 it is rarely spoken in any of the institutions.

cYp

ger12

Europe has had to bail Ireland out, and it is austerity for all. Surely we can't afford silliness like this ? Even if...if you agree with spending the money on the Irish language : surely it would be better spent elsewhere ?

cYp
Whether we use the translation services at EU level or not, we still pay for them. Every country has to contribute. The money goes into a translation pool that now includes Irish translators.

P.S. More Irish was spoken in the European Parliament than either Maltese or Estonian in 2011. Seán Ó Neachtain MEP and Bairbre de Brún MEP spoke only Irish in Parliament after official status was granted. Council meetings are generally conducted through the current lingua franca, English.

Last edited:

ruserious

I was thought Irish for 14 years and German for 6.

Yet I am a hell of a lot more fluent in German than I am in Irish. The method of teaching is therefore questionable.

Johnny Zordan

Wasn't all this translation an idea of O cuiv so that a few connemara folk would have plum jobs ?

Astral Peaks

I was thought Irish for 14 years and German for 6.

Yet I am a hell of a lot more fluent in German than I am in Irish. The method of teaching is therefore questionable.
I was taught both too, for the same periods as well.

With the same results, I might add.

The teaching of Irish is very poor.

DJP

Whether we use the translation services at EU level or not, we still pay for them. Every country has to contribute. The money goes into a translation pool that now includes Irish translators.
+ 1.

And as it says in the article the translators are often employed translating to other languages as well. Only a small proportion of Irish language translators would work solely on translating the Irish language, I would reckon.

And Irish would be, I think, spoken amongst Irish MEP's proportionally higher than by Ministers at meetings. Bairbre de Brún and Seán Ó Neachtain I believe only speak in Irish in the Parliament and Pat The Cope Gallagher and Sean Kelly also, I think, speak it a lot in the Parliament also.

There are ways in which the couple of million spent on having Irish as an official language of the E.U would be better spent in Ireland- on us getting a national young persons chart music radio station, and having occasional promotion campaigns promoting the language on television, are the two big things that pop into my head (that we are not seeing, as of yet).

I am all for having a debate on the ways to support the Irish language.

I would like for Irish to continue to be an official language of the EU although I wouldn't support full official status- which will be looked at according to the article in 2015. Maybe we only need a fraction of the number of translators that we have. More info. and debate is needed.

Ideally, I would like to see more sustainable support for the Irish language in Ireland by the Government and Irish to continue with it's official status as a working language in the EU. I can't think of anyone thinking it should be given the same status as most of the other official languages with that review in 2015.

I am not trying to get people sacked but if it means that only, say, two bilingual solely Irish language translators (as opposed to twenty or thirty) are working in the EU then I won't have a problem with that.

Last edited:

Old Irish

+ 1.

And as it says in the article the translators are often employed translating to other languages as well. Only a small proportion of Irish language translators would work solely on translating the Irish language, I would reckon.

And Irish would be, I think, spoken amongst Irish MEP's proportionally higher than by Ministers at meetings. Bairbre de Brún and Seán Ó Neachtain I believe only speak in Irish in the Parliament and Pat The Cope Gallagher and Sean Kelly also, I think, speak it a lot in the Parliament also.

There are ways in which the couple of million spent on having Irish as an official language of the E.U would be better spent in Ireland- on us getting a national young persons chart music radio station, and having occasional promotion campaigns promoting the language on television, are the two big things that pop into my head (that we are not seeing, as of yet).

I am all for having a debate on what the ways to support the Irish language.

I would like for Irish to continue to be an official language of the EU although I wouldn't support full official status- which will be looked at according to the article in 2015. Maybe we only need a fraction of the number of translators that we have. More info. and debate is needed.

Ideally, I would like to see more sustainable support for the Irish language in Ireland by the Government and Irish to continue with it's official status as a working language in the EU. I can't think of anyone thinking it should be given the same status as most of the other official languages with that review in 2015.

I am not trying to get people sacked but if it means that only, say, two bilingual solely Irish language translators (as opposed to twenty or thirty) are working solely in the EU then I won't have a problem with that.

Ah you're gas! The young Irish are leaving in their droves and companies are only employing immigrants and you think there should be a radio station set up for the young irish and are all for promoting our national language to young people. There needs to be some young Irish people left to promote it to!

Old Irish

DJP

Ah you're gas! The young Irish are leaving in their droves (deleted the racist rubbish) and you think there should be a radio station set up for the young irish and are all for promoting our national language to young people.
Good point. Ireland would be a friendlier place for young people if we had one though.

We do have Raidió Rí-Rá though the chart Irish language internet radio station also available in some places on digital. Maybe they should just be given a budget of €100,000+ a year and a radio license and continue with having volunteers contribute the most like community radio stations now.

fianna saor

yes it would be better spent on research on how to promote the language properly.

Cellach

cYp
The money comes from the EU budget. Given there is 23 official languages in the EU and the Irish translators do languages as well, how much money do you thing cutting Irish translation would save Ireland? I reckon nothing really. The link says there is a 1.1 billion Euro budget for translation. If we got rid of the Irish translators how much would that figure drop? Nothing much I'd wager. And that number would still be divided by all 27 states, not just Ireland.

Old Irish

Good point. Ireland would be a friendlier place for young people if we had one though.

We do have Raidió Rí-Rá though the chart Irish language internet radio station also available in some places on digital. Maybe they should just be given a budget of €100,000+ a year and a radio license and continue with having volunteers contribute the most like community radio stations now.
How is it racist? I know for fact from people I know in Ireland that were not given a job and an immigrant was given the job instead. So what is racist about pointing this FACT out?

Oh so 100,000 a year but take away respite grants for carers?

Old Irish

The money comes from the EU budget. Given there is 23 official languages in the EU and the Irish translators do languages as well, how much money do you thing cutting Irish translation would save Ireland? I reckon nothing really. The link says there is a 1.1 billion Euro budget for translation. If we got rid of the Irish translators how much would that figure drop? Nothing much I'd wager. And that number would still be divided by all 27 states, not just Ireland.
Surely there could be some way to waiver the money alocated to Ireland for this rubbish and put towards carers for their respite grants?

hiding behind a poster

Does anybody in Ireland really speak only irish and not english ?
No0. Quite a few people pretend, though. There was some guy did a TV programme a couple of years back in which he went around insisting on speaking Irish to a variety of shop assistants, bus drivers, etc. I think he was trying to make some point or other, but he just came across as both obnoxious and condescending.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies