• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Irish taxpayer now directly funding the French Govt as Gardai get freebies to sports events.

The Field Marshal

Heard this on the radio about several gardai going at taxpayers expense to Lille, France , to assist the police there who are clearly deemed unable to monitor the 50 to 80 thousand Irish fans travelling there who may be suspected of potential criminal activities.

These wealthy Irish will be spending an estimated 20,000,000 euro outside the country and the Irish govt thinks the French police will not be able to cope with the drunkeness / potential terrorist threat/ other crimes etc so decided to send a large force consisting of 8 gardai to help them out.

These gardai will have free flights/accommodation and access to all matches plus expenses.

What do posters think of this latest insult to both the Irish and French people by a truly arrogant and out of touch Irish
govt?

Travelling to Euro 2016? You might see some uniformed gardaí on the beat

SeanieFitz

Heard this on the radio about several gardai going at taxpayers expense to Lille, France , to assist the police there who are clearly deemed unable to monitor the 50 to 80 thousand Irish fans travelling there who may be suspected of potential criminal activities.

These wealthy Irish will be spending an estimated 20,000,000 euro outside the country and the Irish govt thinks the French police will not be able to cope with the drunkeness / potential terrorist threat/ other crimes etc so decided to send a large force consisting of 8 gardai to help them out.

These gardai will have free flights/accommodation and access to all matches plus expenses.

What do posters think of this latest insult to both the Irish and French people by a truly arrogant and out of touch Irish
govt?

was discussed on SO'R show this morning, journalist mentioned that representatives of police forces from all competing nation's have traveled to tournament.

Watcher2

govt?

Now, now, did you not read your own link? It clearly states that the PSNI are also sending police. Its not mentioned in the link but I did hear (maybe only speculation) but I believe all countries are sending local police representatives. It seems to be some arrangement. Its also not the first time so perhaps this is just normal course for these events.

Is this just a case of sour grapes? Could you not get a ticket or something?

artfoley56

Qu'ils mangent de la brioche

Equinox

Well in all fairness, here's shocking footage of a co-ordinated mass sexual assault by a bunch of foreigners badly in need of policing... no wait, It's the Irish in Bordeaux not the reffos in Cologne..

[video=youtube;cYWOrgxd-Rc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYWOrgxd-Rc[/video]

The Field Marshal

Now, now, did you not read your own link? It clearly states that the PSNI are also sending police. Its not mentioned in the link but I did hear (maybe only speculation) but I believe all countries are sending local police representatives. It seems to be some arrangement. Its also not the first time so perhaps this is just normal course for these events.

Is this just a case of sour grapes? Could you not get a ticket or something?
was discussed on SO'R show this morning, journalist mentioned that representatives of police forces from all competing nation's have traveled to tournament.
And so?

None of these non French police will have jurisdictional powers .

This is a political stunt by EU politicians to create an EU police force by stealth.

It is also an admission by the French that they are unable to properly police international sporting events anymore.

Also Irish taxpayers money is being squandered to mollycoddle wealthy drunken Irish fans inclined to get lost in foreign cities.

O

Oscurito

It's an outrage.

I urge the Irish team to avoid beating Italy tomorrow night thereby bringing those Gardai home and saving the Irish taxpayer trillions of euro.

The People have suffered enough.

SeanieFitz

And so?

This is a political stunt by EU politicians to create an EU police force by stealth.

It is also an admission by the French that they are unable to properly police international sporting events anymore.

Also Irish taxpayers money is being squandered to mollycoddle wealthy drunken Irish fans inclined to get lost in foreign cities.
fair enough, sorry for outlining the facts in this case, I (mistakenly) thought you were seeking a sensible, reasonable exchange

Roberto Jordan

fair enough, sorry for outlining the facts in this case, I (mistakenly) thought you were seeking a sensible, reasonable exchange
I am not normally given over to the tabloid-ish headlines on government waste and spending e.g. shock horror cabinet level politicians fly business class on official duties to Australia and then process NOT to stay in a hostel ....etc.

however 8 seems like a lot - its not like there is even a domestic football league of a scale that it could provide some advance intelligence regarding potential trouble makers , I would wager a large percentage of the " green army" have not been to an association football match in the last 12 months.

And what do the underemployed embassy staff in paris do in all of this? ( which is a whole other kettle of fish.......)

And finally, the FM , for all his hyperbole, has a point on actual function. I can understand english cops acting as spotters , but once arrested what then? Surely hooligans should be subject to the full impersonal rigour of frenc law to the extent of any other durnken holiday maker without the benefit of an AGS/ Bobby/ Polizei to hold their hands and ring mamny?

Watcher2

And so?

Doubt it, but you continue to be outraged if that makes you happy.

Watcher2

I am not normally given over to the tabloid-ish headlines on government waste and spending e.g. shock horror cabinet level politicians fly business class on official duties to Australia and then process NOT to stay in a hostel ....etc.

however 8 seems like a lot - its not like there is even a domestic football league of a scale that it could provide some advance intelligence regarding potential trouble makers , I would wager a large percentage of the " green army" have not been to an association football match in the last 12 months.

And what do the underemployed embassy staff in paris do in all of this? ( which is a whole other kettle of fish.......)

And finally, the FM , for all his hyperbole, has a point on actual function. I can understand english cops acting as spotters , but once arrested what then? Surely hooligans should be subject to the full impersonal rigour of frenc law to the extent of any other durnken holiday maker without the benefit of an AGS/ Bobby/ Polizei to hold their hands and ring mamny?
How many Irish fans are over there? I dont believe 8 is excessive but I'm not wasting anymore time on this one.

Have a good one.

gatsbygirl20

It's an outrage.

I urge the Irish team to avoid beating Italy tomorrow night thereby bringing those Gardai home and saving the Irish taxpayer trillions of euro.

The People have suffered enough.
Yes, the Irish team must do their patriotic duty and make an heroic effort to lose the game against Italy so that our boys in blue can be brought home, saving the taxpayer trillions---or whatever it costs to have a few gardai eating coq au vin and drinking Sancerre in Montmartre...

I see that the gardai can't actually arrest anyone. What are they supposed to do if a fight breaks out between the Irish and those mad, feral Russians?
Say to the Russian fans "Ah, now lads, let ye move along there...yeer causing a disturbance in this area...thanks lads" ?

I suppose the Gardai could help the Irish fans not to keep getting lost. Give them a little talk "Try not to get bug-eyed, paralytic drunk lads..It's not a good look, and there is always a slight risk that at 4 am, after thirty pints and ten Captain Morgans, you might not be able to remember exactly in what arrondissement your hotel is located"

Community policing. Very nice. The guards holding the Irish fans' hands and minding them so their mammies won't be worried.

Bless.

Last edited:

johnnypockets

Just back from Bordeaux myself. The Irish fans have been a credit to the country. I thought all the stories about the 'loveable' Irish fans were exaggerated but after being there I can safely say that is not the case. Its amazing how much the other nations and the locals have taken to the Iirsh. This can only be a positive for the country. If 8 gardai get a freebie on the back of it, I really don't see that as a problem.

The Field Marshal

Are you going to answer the question concerning the waste of Irish taxpayers money and garda time expended in a foreign country to mollycoddle rich drunken Irish fans unable to find their way home at night?

The Field Marshal

Just back from Bordeaux myself. The Irish fans have been a credit to the country. I thought all the stories about the 'loveable' Irish fans were exaggerated but after being there I can safely say that is not the case. Its amazing how much the other nations and the locals have taken to the Iirsh. This can only be a positive for the country. If 8 gardai get a freebie on the back of it, I really don't see that as a problem.
In the meantime due to depleted Garda resources back in Ireland crime sprees and burglaries rocket whilst squads of Gardai are sent to French cities to help drunk wealthy Irish football fans find their way to their hotels at night.

johnnypockets

In the meantime due to depleted Garda resources back in Ireland crime sprees and burglaries rocket whilst squads of Gardai are sent to French cities to help drunk wealthy Irish football fans find their way to their hotels at night.
So you are saying crime sprees and burglaries have rocketed since the 8 gardai left for France. Have you a link for that?

Last edited:

The Field Marshal

So why then are you complaining that posters will not have a reasonable discussion with you?

Are some of these Gardai currently valetting Irish fans ,no doubt all on the vino at football matches in French cities at Irish taxpayers expense, perhaps related to you?

redacted

govt?

You're like the ever-lasting whoopee cushion: guaranteed laughs for life.

Thanks for being you TFM.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies