• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Irish television and the UK digital platform

FloatingVoterTralee

With Ireland and NI switching simultaneously from analogue and digital, and a previous commitment to extend transmission coverage of terrestrial channels across the Six Counties, an opportunity was missed by failing to gain placing for Irish TV stations on the UK digital platform, partly making up for the failure of Tara TV. As a quid pro quo, BBC and ITV could have been encouraged to establish Irish services and thus secure free-to-air status in the Republic.

blokesbloke

I personally would welcome Irish channels on British TV and I've long advocated it.

I think the difficulty is most Irish channels show a lot of British and American TV and there would be some rights issues - they only have a licence to broadcast that content in Ireland and a lot of the shows are already broadcast on UK channels.

With lots of non-Irish content, if it was blanked out then the channels would be off-air half the time.

You'd need the Irish channels to get together and produce one channel speficially for the UK that they all contributed content to. You could also make programming specifically for UK Irish audiences.

I remember Tara TV was on cable for a while in Birmingham but it didn't last long - who was behind that?

It would cost money though, I wonder if you made it a subscription-only channel rather than on the usual free-to-air digital platform it might even turn a profit.

There's plenty of Irish ex-pats in Britain who might subscribe.

Ulster-Lad

With Ireland and NI switching simultaneously from analogue and digital, and a previous commitment to extend transmission coverage of terrestrial channels across the Six Counties, an opportunity was missed by failing to gain placing for Irish TV stations on the UK digital platform, partly making up for the failure of Tara TV. As a quid pro quo, BBC and ITV could have been encouraged to establish Irish services and thus secure free-to-air status in the Republic.
Living on the border I get both the Irish and the UK channels.

blokesbloke

I wonder if anywhere in Britain is close enough to receive Irish channels? Surely maybe some parts of Britain are close enough to Ireland to pick them up?

Asparagus

I wonder if anywhere in Britain is close enough to receive Irish channels? Surely maybe some parts of Britain are close enough to Ireland to pick them up?
Armagh?

Ulster-Lad

The 6 counties can mostly pick up Irish telly.

neiphin

its not about you

@op
there are licencing issues and royalty issues
but with a bit of enginuiety (sic) our brothers and sisters can get saorsat

did you really expect the greens and then labour to do the right thing and follow through on promises and commitments

Ulster-Lad

its not about you

@op
there are licencing issues and royalty issues
but with a bit of enginuiety (sic) our brothers and sisters can get saorsat

did you really expect the greens and then labour to do the right thing and follow through on promises and commitments
Oh but it is ;) I paid my licence fee.

PlanetBertie

I personally would welcome British channels on Irish TV and I've long advocated it.

Ulster-Lad

With Saorview I get about 10 channels. But with Saorview here on the border I get about 70 channels including the UK channels. They are freely received in the airwaves.

cabledude

I have Soarview for Irish terrestrial channels.

I have Free to Air satellite and receive all the UK terrestrial channels.

People in England have BBC, ITV, Channel 4's etc. Why oh why would they want RTE?

blokesbloke

NI needs RTENI to be put in place and positioned no 3&4 on the channels.

Sadly no one in the south could give a damn. If it costs £200million so be it - Its priceless in the pursuit of a United Ireland
As far I can see NI does get RTE now. Why does it need a seperate NI version to promote Irish unity? Surely one all-Ireland channel makes more sense if that is a goal.

I don't think having it as no. 3 and 4 on the channels would make any difference.

As long as RTE is available in NI, and as far as I know it is, I would think thay's enough without needing to spend any more.

blokesbloke

I have Soarview for Irish terrestrial channels.

I have Free to Air satellite and receive all the UK terrestrial channels.

People in England have BBC, ITV, Channel 4's etc. Why oh why would they want RTE?
I would enjoy watching it and I'm not Irish. Plenty of Irish ex-pats and people with Irish heritage I'm sure would like it.

Any channel in English would probably find an audience in the UK to be honest.

Iarmhi Gael

As far I can see NI does get RTE now. Why does it need a seperate NI version to promote Irish unity? Surely one all-Ireland channel makes more sense if that is a goal.

I don't think having it as no. 3 and 4 on the channels would make any difference.

As long as RTE is available in NI, and as far as I know it is, I would think thay's enough without needing to spend any more.

RTE is available only on the HD freeview service and at that is channel no 24 & 25. On sky it is on channel 161, 161 behind MTV+1 & before Dave+1

It is not a serious channel up here. Certainly among the Unionist population RTE is invisable. Radio is worst where RTE Radio 1 is position on 94.50 fm right before Ulster Radio on a weak signal - while 2fm is on 97fm before the 2 leading stations Citybeat on 96.7 and coolfm on 97.40. It is impossible to get.

RTE by positionisg itself on channel 3&4 put the main Irish broadcasting channel at the forefront of Northern life - instead of where it is at present - inviseable. Its wrong that Northern people know more about what is happening in cornwall & devon before Dublin or Meath.

davidcameron

RTE is available only on the HD freeview service and at that is channel no 24 & 25. On sky it is on channel 161, 161 behind MTV+1 & before Dave+1

It is not a serious channel up here. Certainly among the Unionist population RTE is invisable. Radio is worst where RTE Radio 1 is position on 94.50 fm right before Ulster Radio on a weak signal - while 2fm is on 97fm before the 2 leading stations Citybeat on 96.7 and coolfm on 97.40. It is impossible to get.
RTÉ Radio is available in NI on LW, the internet and FTA on the Astra satellite.

RTE by positionisg itself on channel 3&4 put the main Irish broadcasting channel at the forefront of Northern life - instead of where it is at present - inviseable. Its wrong that Northern people know more about what is happening in cornwall & devon before Dublin or Meath.
If NI viewers who have Freeview HD boxes want to watch RTÉ 1 & 2 they will find them on the EPG.

Old Mr Grouser

I personally would welcome Irish channels on British TV and I've long advocated it.

I think the difficulty is most Irish channels show a lot of British and American TV and there would be some rights issues - they only have a licence to broadcast that content in Ireland and a lot of the shows are already broadcast on UK channels.

With lots of non-Irish content, if it was blanked out then the channels would be off-air half the time.

You'd need the Irish channels to get together and produce one channel speficially for the UK that they all contributed content to. You could also make programming specifically for UK Irish audiences.

I remember Tara TV was on cable for a while in Birmingham but it didn't last long - who was behind that?

It would cost money though, I wonder if you made it a subscription-only channel rather than on the usual free-to-air digital platform it might even turn a profit.

There's plenty of Irish ex-pats in Britain who might subscribe.
As I understand it the big problem is that if RTE were to gain a substantial number of viewers in the UK then they'd have to pay far higher royalty rates for just about everything, even the playing of recorded music.

There's an example of that sort of thing here - BBC News - Welsh language music payment dispute talks stall

The dispute is over the level of payment for songs on Radio Cymru

Welsh-language musicians were receiving about £7.50 a minute, including public performance payments, but then someone recalculated the listener-statistics and the Performing Rights Society reduced the payments down to 42pence a minute.

The people at RTE would probably prefer it if nobody outside Ireland listened to their stations.