Irish Thatcher required (please attach cv)

Aindriu

Kerrygold said:
Aindriu said:
st333ve said:
Sure why dont you just invite another Cromwell, according to our neighbours he was also a great leader :roll:
I take it you haven't seen the report then about an English historian writing a new book about Cromwell's time? She says that what Cromwell did in Ireland was very wrong and could not be justified. Just because some donut put up a statue of him does not mean the English like him.
You're joking? Wasn't he recently voted the greatest Briton ever. :roll:
Wasn't that Churchill?

SPN

Most of what Thatcher did was a failure, but because she had access to North Sea Oil Revenues she was able to drive on regardless.

DOD

I think Cromwell and Churchill were the top 2 I seemed to recall Cromwell being number 1

Aindriu

DOD said:
I think Cromwell and Churchill were the top 2 I seemed to recall Cromwell being number 1
Whoever it was, given the type of people who reply to such polls I hardly think it is truly representative of the everyday English folk. As another poster has already pointed out, Cromwell was responsible for ensuring that parliament was more powerful than the monarchy. Doesn't excuse what he did here though.

HarshBuzz

DOD said:
HarshBuzz said:
You've lost me, do you mean to tell me you think Thatcher was anti-corruption? My god, you really were brainwashed.
yes, I must have been. I also have an overwhelming desire to eat coco pops for some reason...

straight question for you: who would you like to see leading the country through this difficult time and why?

diego

HarshBuzz said:
OK, maybe not to the point of allowing hunder strikers to die :? but I do think that the seriousness of the economic (recession) and political (Lisbon) crisis facing the country at the moment is so dire that we need an 'Irish Thatcher' who fits the following criteria:

(a) knows the policies required to put the country back on the right track (massive public sector reform, fix Govt current spending, end dependency on the housing sector, get Lisbon passed one way or another, smash the clientelist model of politics in this country, eradicate political corruption, get our infrastructure up to the required level, build a nuclear power station etc etc - add your own)

(b) has the toughness to face down all the vested interests to actually get these policies implemented - unions, CIF, clientelists etc

I look around the Dail and I don't see anyone with the required attributes. All in all, I wouldn't trust most of them to run a corner shop. It seems that we Irish don't like conviction politicans (no, not the Stroke Fahy type of convictions ;) ) but that's exactly what we will require in the coming years.

Love her or loath her, Thatcher had the necessary courage to do what it took to get the UK back on its feet. We need the same now. FF got us into this mess, I don't see them (or anyone else of the current crop) getting us out.
I may be guilty of fetishising Thatcher too, but only in a camp comic-ridiculous way. But I'd sooner stab myself in the eye with a fork than have her policies enacted nowadays. Besides, we simply couldn't enact her stringent monetarist policies as our monetary policy is set in Frankfurt. Plus no Irish voter would support the astronomical strategic unemployment and simultaneous benfit cuts she was so fond of. Now, if we had an environmentalist thatcher who threw suv loving assholes into concentration camps, that's the kind of demagoguery I can support.

HarshBuzz

diego said:
[I may be guilty of fetishising Thatcher too, but only in a camp comic-ridiculous way. But I'd sooner stab myself in the eye with a fork than have her policies enacted nowadays. Besides, we simply couldn't enact her stringent monetarist policies as our monetary policy is set in Frankfurt. Plus no Irish voter would support the astronomical strategic unemployment and simultaneous benfit cuts she was so fond of. Now, if we had an environmentalist thatcher who threw suv loving assholes into concentration camps, that's the kind of demagoguery I can support.
there seems to be some misunderstanding here or maybe people didn't read the OP: I never said I wanted Thatcher's policies, I said I wanted a politican with Thatcher leadership abilities.

Two entirely different things, some posters seem unable or unwilling to process that

DOD

HarshBuzz said:
straight question for you: who would you like to see leading the country through this difficult time and why?
I'll have to go with Podolski on this one. An Irish Chave without question. He has taken Veneuela from a corrupt regime to being the best democracy in the world and has fought for the people that filth like Thatcher would have us ignore or get rid of.

Isn't it obvious?

We need a WAR!!!

Lets find a small tropical country with natural resources, send in some agents provocateurs, initiate a clash and invade.

Distribute the little flags for everyone to wave at home, dispatch the task force and have parties in the street.

Ok, only kidding - but if we had a population of 40million + there's a good chance it'd be tabled as an option :D :shock2: :D :shock2:

Munion

HarshBuzz said:
diego said:
[I may be guilty of fetishising Thatcher too, but only in a camp comic-ridiculous way. But I'd sooner stab myself in the eye with a fork than have her policies enacted nowadays. Besides, we simply couldn't enact her stringent monetarist policies as our monetary policy is set in Frankfurt. Plus no Irish voter would support the astronomical strategic unemployment and simultaneous benfit cuts she was so fond of. Now, if we had an environmentalist thatcher who threw suv loving assholes into concentration camps, that's the kind of demagoguery I can support.
there seems to be some misunderstanding here or maybe people didn't read the OP: I never said I wanted Thatcher's policies, I said I wanted a politican with Thatcher leadership abilities.

Two entirely different things, some posters seem unable or unwilling to process that
You mentioned Thatcher which meant you hobbled your thread from post #1.

Should've left her name out and just had a debate about the need for strong political leadership to overcome our gombeen TDs.

DOD

HarshBuzz said:

Hitler had far better leadership qualities, why not look to someone like him?

Greenandred

Kerrygold said:
Aindriu said:
st333ve said:
Sure why dont you just invite another Cromwell, according to our neighbours he was also a great leader :roll:
I take it you haven't seen the report then about an English historian writing a new book about Cromwell's time? She says that what Cromwell did in Ireland was very wrong and could not be justified. Just because some donut put up a statue of him does not mean the English like him.
Winston Churchill won the BBC vote for the Millennium's greatest Briton. Mind you, it came as no surprise to see that boor Jeremy Clarkson advocating Cromwell.

HarshBuzz

DOD said:
I'll have to go with Podolski on this one. An Irish Chave without question. He has taken Veneuela from a corrupt regime to being the best democracy in the world and has fought for the people that filth like Thatcher would have us ignore or get rid of.
who would that be exactly - Jim Higgins?

at least you know what you want, I'll give you that..chances of it ever happening = 0.0000001%

have you ever been to Cuba?

HarshBuzz

Munion said:
You mentioned Thatcher which meant you hobbled your thread from post #1.

Should've left her name out and just had a debate about the need for strong political leadership to overcome our gombeen TDs.
I thought that posters here would be sufficiently sophisticated to differentiate between using Thatcher as an example of a strong leader and advocating implementing her policies (which I was in no way doing)

clearly I was mistaken

Greenandred said:
Kerrygold said:
Aindriu said:
st333ve said:
Winston Churchill won the BBC vote for the Millennium's greatest Briton. Mind you, it came as no surprise to see that boor Jeremy Clarkson advocating Cromwell.
No Jeremy Clarkson advocated Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

Jozer

DOD said:
HarshBuzz said:

Hitler had far better leadership qualities, why not look to someone like him?
Really? The legacy of Thatcher's success is all around us. Meanwhile, do you think modern Germany is what Hitler envisaged?

P.S. "What we need now is an Irish Chavez"? You had one- CJH.

Aindriu

HarshBuzz said:
I thought that posters here would be sufficiently sophisticated to differentiate between using Thatcher as an example of a strong leader and advocating implementing her policies (which I was in no way doing)

clearly I was mistaken
She wasn't a leader. She was an autocratic dictator! The last thing we need here is some biatch like her in power!

Podolski

HarshBuzz said:
Tiernanator said:
I agree with you Podolski about Irish Thatcherism. We never needed it. The poor in our society are worse off now than at the start of the so-called panacea to all our ills "the celtic tiger". The wealth of the few not the welfare of the many is a blight on our society and an injustice that cannot be argued away with the old "wealth creators" myth.
Don't like dragging the thread off-course but I really have to question this; just look at the unemployment stats now and then and you'll see there's no comparison.

Also, if the poor are so much worse off, why are they not voting for 'workers parties', such as your own? :?
the trouble is they are not voting at all, which is something all parties need to look at.

HarshBuzz

Aindriu said:
She wasn't a leader. She was an autocratic dictator! The last thing we need here is some biatch like her in power!
stop, my irony-meter is in danger of overheating :cool:

HarshBuzz

Podolski said:
the trouble is they are not voting at all, which is something all parties need to look at.
and the ones who are voting are voting for whom exactly?

New Threads

Most Replies