Irish, the EU and Brexit

TheField

There was an interesting opinion expressed on this morning's Marian Finucane radio show:

To wit that should Britain exit the EU, there will technically be NO English speaking member states remaining. Apparently for political & cultural reasons, we the Republic of Ireland have stated that our first language is Gaeilge insofar as the EU goes. From this flows the need for Brussels to provide translation services and jobs therefore so as to support our first language. At quite some expense apparently.

However if Britain exits, theoretically anyway there will be no need to provide English translation services as the French, German, Italians, Poles etc. don't need it and sure anyway, we the Irish gets ours in Gaeilge, as requested. :) :)

If this does come to pass , will it be a case of being hoist on our own petard?

Will we have to face the obvious and declare English to be our primary tongue???

rainmaker

Administrator
There was an interesting opinion expressed on this morning's Marian Finucane radio show:

To wit that should Britain exit the EU, there will technically be NO English speaking member states remaining. Apparently for political & cultural reasons, we the Republic of Ireland have stated that our first language is Gaeilge insofar as the EU goes. From this flows the need for Brussels to provide translation services and jobs therefore so as to support our first language. At quite some expense apparently.

However if Britain exits, theoretically anyway there will be no need to provide English translation services as the French, German, Italians, Poles etc. don't need it and sure anyway, we the Irish gets ours in Gaeilge, as requested. :) :)

Will we have to face the obvious and declare English to be our primary tongue???
I was just thinking the other day that what this forum needs is another thread on Brexit :roll:

drummed

Nope. This myth has been debunked long ago. English is a working language for much of the planet and will continue to be used.

End of thread. Thanks for asking anyway.

Vega1447

English is the de facto lingua franca of the EU. There is no designated common language.

So?

O

Oscurito

I see the position of Irish within the EU as being an entirely separate issue. Let's fight for some sort of parity but it won't change the sad reality.

The saving of Irish lies in Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Waterford - not in Brussels or Strasbourg,

Vega1447

I see the position of Irish within the EU as being an entirely separate issue. Let's fight for some sort of parity but it won't change the sad reality.

The saving of Irish lies in Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Waterford - not in Brussels or Strasbourg,
Very well said.

drummed

Well, if it lies in those places lets find it and kill it before it makes any more progress.

O

Oscurito

I think the OP has hit on an important point, though. Whatever about the status of English within the EU, the vast majority of MEPS, eurocrats etc. prefer to use their mother tongue in official capacities.

In theory, it could crystallize Irish attitudes towards ár bpríomhteanga náisiúnta. Either we remove the official recognition from the Bunreacht or we put our money where our mouths are and give it the support it needs to be taken off life support.

I've believed for a long time that the revival of Irish needs the same kind of constitutional imperative that used to stand behind Articles 2 and 3.

TheField

French is fairly widely spoken in continental Europe. Any reason why that might not be de facto lingua franca?? English, French or even Spanish should all be contenders, no?

I think we maybe a little too insular as regards our language.

Vega1447

Well, if it lies in those places lets find it and kill it before it makes any more progress.
Sad fvcker.

Is Irish such a threat to your equanimity?

O

Oscurito

Well, if it lies in those places lets [sic] find it and kill it before it makes any more progress.
Dear Monoglot,

How about perfecting your one language before sneering at those who aspire for something more?

Sincerely yours,
Oscurito.

DJP

Website
darrenjprior.blogspot.com
Twitter
https://twitter.com/DarrenJPrior
I wouldn't have been in favour of changing the constitution to make English and Irish joint official languages in Ireland, but with the rise in Irish language fantasy in the last couple of years I would tend to be supportive of such a referendum.

Nemesiscorporation

Contrary to what other think, this is a serious issue. The French will try to use this as an excuse to make French the working language of the EU. Ireland needs to declare English its main language and Irish a minority language.

drummed

Dear Monoglot,

How about perfecting your one language before sneering at those who aspire for something more?

Sincerely yours,
Oscurito.
Ahhh, but it isn't my one language. Lol

New Threads

Most Replies