Irish Times charging for epaper

Tomas Mor

Why this sudden change of heart after only about just one year

Yosser

The Irish Times along with a number of other publications are screwed. This is a desperate attempt to shore itself up.
They made fools of themselves during the bubble.

constitutionus

why would anyone pay for propaganda ?

MuchToDo

More annoying than having to pay...

Having to read it in a stupid "epaper" format. Cumbersome, slow, inefficient layout and indeed buggy too (not the exact text for the story you click on).

Plus it's a third party company getting the details of what pages/stories/etc. you read.

Poor show indeed.

Logged in today to see that the price has gone up. €20 for 30 days, 50 for 90 days and annual €160.

The original plan was €9 for one month and 89 for a year.

20 euro for one month is nuts, I don't read the paper every day, probably only 3 or 4 times a week. And on at least one of those days, usually saturday, I actually buy it. That means it will costs between 1.66 to 2.50 a day.

I can't justify an annual account and resent being tied to a lengthy subscription.

These prices are well steep for an eproduct. No distribution costs, no retail costs and no actual paper. Where can I put my potato peelings!

Cancelled my subscription not paying over 100% increase. I'll just stick to online material and buying on a saturday from now on.

Interista

I can't see this working. 89Euro is a fair bit of money in a recession. It's not like the Irish Times is so special that people are going to fork out for it, when so much is available online for zilch.

Any updates on how the Murdoch paywall at the UK Times is going? Have their erstwhile online readers migrated to the Torygraph or even - gasp! - the Guardian?

Watcher2

The Irish Times along with a number of other publications are screwed. This is a desperate attempt to shore itself up.
They made fools of themselves during the bubble.
Also, not bringing out a commuter/tabloid size must be hitting them a bit, just because they are snobby. I always bought The Times in the morning before getting on the train. Then when the Indo brought out their tabloid sized version, I switched straight away. I doubt I'm the only one.

ManfredJudge

C'mon somebody rant with me Rant with me tonight

If the Good Lord had wanted us to know about cuisine, he would never have given us crispy pancakes.
So if we were meant to pay for epapers they would have content worth paying for.

Winalot

I can't see this working. 89Euro is a fair bit of money in a recession.
I envy your discretionary wealth.

Any updates on how the Murdoch paywall at the UK Times is going? Have their erstwhile online readers migrated to the Torygraph or even - gasp! - the Guardian?
A copy of The Times (95 cents) with twice as much news costs half as much as The Irish Times.

Interista

A copy of The Times (95 cents) with twice as much news costs half as much as The Irish Times.
Yeah, but I'm talking about the online version. I'm wondering how Murdoch's experiment of charging for online news content is going, as it will be an interesting case study for any future ventures of that type.

Orbit v2

Logged in today to see that the price has gone up. €20 for 30 days, 50 for 90 days and annual €160.

The original plan was €9 for one month and 89 for a year.

20 euro for one month is nuts, I don't read the paper every day, probably only 3 or 4 times a week. And on at least one of those days, usually saturday, I actually buy it. That means it will costs between 1.66 to 2.50 a day.

I can't justify an annual account and resent being tied to a lengthy subscription.

These prices are well steep for an eproduct. No distribution costs, no retail costs and no actual paper. Where can I put my potato peelings!

Cancelled my subscription not paying over 100% increase. I'll just stick to online material and buying on a saturday from now on.
Technically, I think it's the future. I kind of imagine myself in an ideal world commuting to work on a comfortable train and reading my Irish Times epaper (and maybe other lesser organs :rolleyes:) on an iPad in comfort. The problem is, how far in the future is that ??

Doubling the subscription certainly doesn't bring it any closer. Short term I'd prefer a casual pay as you go credit model, where you could read individual issues as an epaper occasionally, since I still buy most issues of the "paper" paper each week, but the epaper would have to be cheaper to really attract me. Also, I'd want to be able to download the whole paper in one go rather tan incurring major data charges on the move. Basically, I think until iPad and other tablet type devices become really mainstream, I don't see epapers really taking off, unless they are priced extremely attractively.

krusty

Technically, I think it's the future. I kind of imagine myself in an ideal world commuting to work on a comfortable train and reading my Irish Times epaper (and maybe other lesser organs :rolleyes:) on an iPad in comfort. The problem is, how far in the future is that ??

Doubling the subscription certainly doesn't bring it any closer. Short term I'd prefer a casual pay as you go credit model, where you could read individual issues as an epaper occasionally, since I still buy most issues of the "paper" paper each week, but the epaper would have to be cheaper to really attract me. Also, I'd want to be able to download the whole paper in one go rather tan incurring major data charges on the move. Basically, I think until iPad and other tablet type devices become really mainstream, I don't see epapers really taking off, unless they are priced extremely attractively.
I think the model where the epaper is free if you want adverts and if you pay there are no adverts is the only way to go . If you simply charge for the epaper people will desert the paper. There's enough free Irish News to keep you going without the Irish Times

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies