• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Irish Times Clock - page 1 and 3?

draiocht23

Just flicking through the Irish Times and they have devoted part of page 1 and all of page 3 to the repositioning of their "iconic" clock.

Just wondering if anyone thinks the clock is worthy of so much coverage, on the two most important pages in the paper?

draiocht23

JCSkinner said:
That's the Irish Times all over - out of touch, lacking news and self-obsessed.
I think the Times is quite good - was frankly a bit shocked, or maybe bemused, to see the paper today though. How many readers care about the clock? Put it on page 8 maybe...

myksav

draiocht23 said:
Just flicking through the Irish Times and they have devoted part of page 1 and all of page 3 to the repositioning of their "iconic" clock.

Just wondering if anyone thinks the clock is worthy of so much coverage, on the two most important pages in the paper?
As I don't get the Irish Times, what is this clock you post about? Is it important? Relevant?

alonso

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
The are also fully entitled to state the band of toiletpaper they use.

Issue is we expect news worthy material to be in a newspaper.

This feels more like a smug brand building exercise.

cYp

alonso

cyberianpan said:
The are also fully entitled to state the band of toiletpaper they use.

Issue is we expect news worthy material to be in a newspaper.

This feels more like a smug brand building exercise.

cYp
yeh but it's hardly like they do this every day. I wouldn't be surprised either if some other papers carried a small article about it. the articles take up about two-thirds of 1/64th of todays output excluding the magazine (i have it here beside me :cool: ) - hardly cause for the reexamination of the role and motivation of the Times really is it

CookieMonster

The clock looks stupid on Tara street.

draiocht23 said:

The Times covers its clock. The Independent pushes the financial agenda of Sir Tony O'Reilly and INM. The Sunday Times pushes the political agenda of Rubert Murdoch. The Mail runs its British owner's Eurosceptic agenda.

Give me a paper that highlights its clock over ones that push the business and political agenda of its billionaire owners.

Funny enough, this site has posters who go into apoplexy over the Irish Times yet are silent over the far more sinister agendas of INM, the Mail and the Sunday Times. :shock:

garlandgreen

I saw them taking the photos of it on Thursday. You should have seen the drama they were making of it. They even had a sheet over it for it's "unveiling". Over a bloody clock

alonso

i think it looks well and the structure they made to hold it is very slick

myksav

alonso said:
i think it looks well and the structure they made to hold it is very slick
Oh, is it new?
Well, it'll save looking at the watch when walking past the place.

Harpo

That is unusual alright

Page 1 and 3 are usually reserved for Pro-Lisbon propaganda.

DeGaulle

No-one has ever complained about Page 3 clocks before

draiocht23

Tribunaljunkie said:
draiocht23 said:

The Times covers its clock. The Independent pushes the financial agenda of Sir Tony O'Reilly and INM. The Sunday Times pushes the political agenda of Rubert Murdoch. The Mail runs its British owner's Eurosceptic agenda.

Give me a paper that highlights its clock over ones that push the business and political agenda of its billionaire owners.

Funny enough, this site has posters who go into apoplexy over the Irish Times yet are silent over the far more sinister agendas of INM, the Mail and the Sunday Times. :shock:
As I said at the outset, I think the Times is good, and (shock horror) usually buy it - I was just confused to see so much coverage about a clock? I thought that perhaps I may be missing something (I don't live in Dublin). Is the clock especially dear to Jackeen hearts?

CookieMonster

DeGaulle said:
No-one has ever complained about Page 3 clocks before
There is a big hand/little hand joke in there somewhere.

Barbarian

It's part of the same rubbish as referring to themselves as 'the old lady of D'Olier Street'...pompous and self indulgent.
It’s a pity we don’t have a satirical magazine of the quality of Private Eye to puncture this…

dravot

draiocht23 said:

What was the immigration angle?

McDave

Yes, overkill on the "iconic" (self-referential yuk) clock.

Still, though Paul Gillespie was excellent on page 13.

Rialtas

I agree with the comments above describing the Irish Times as smug, self-reverential and self obsessed. I used to buy the IT every Saturday morning here (I live in London) out of habit. However, I stopped recently because I find it to be empty. First of all, it seems to becoming thinner. Secondly, a great deal of the stories they cover are very provincial, and by that I don't mean of interest to Irish readers, instead I mean reporting on planning applications in Sandymount and so on. Thirdly, they fall into a common trap for poorly managed 'broadsheets' which is the phenomenon of journalists writing about other journalists. Finally, Roisin Ingle is a semi-literate idiot and her simian-like articles far from being 'quirky' are cliche-strewn and repetitive.

I believe the cause of its decline is that Kennedy is a lightweight. For example, the IT book reviews were among the best in the English speaking world once, and it maintained foreign correspondents even in Moscow. Instead we get the awful Roisin Ingle and the incredibly biased and badly informed Lara Marlowe - who transcribes her articles directly from the left-wing Liberation.

Our course there is also their genteel anti-catholic bigotry. This bigotry is a timeless value of the IT which has mutated from the paper's heritage as the newsletter of the protestant ascendancy to its modern-day anti-clerical agnosticism. Although the arguments have evolved in their sophistication, their hostility to the Catholic Church is a constant. I find it intriguing that the contractor for the clock was Sisk, and that the project manager was called Edwin Crinion. Major McDowell, famous for describing his nationalist editor Douglas Gageby as a 'white nigger' in 1969 no doubt played a role in their selection.

You would not want to base your decisions on the hysterical contributions to their letters page.

The Irish Times is not a very good newspaper and survives because it benefits from being a big fish in a very small pond.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies