• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Irish Times online for free

borntorum

It's a good decision, and long overdue. Going subscription-based was a bad idea - the IT could have developed an influential position worldwide if it had remained free.

Geraldine Kennedy has a typically over-the-top article in today's paper about the change, which can be read here

Madam said:
The launch of www.irishtimes.com presents us with the enhanced opportunity to bring Irish Times standards of journalism to a new audience.

In a new world where trust and accuracy are often the casualties of speed, www.irishtimes.com is designed to co-ordinate Irish Times content in print and online; to capitalise on our reputation for accuracy, authority, independent analysis and comment; to appeal to web-based readers who are growing in numbers; and, to restore The Irish Times title to the web.

Like this newspaper, irishtimes.com is governed by the Memoranda and Articles of The Irish Times Trust which mandates us "to publish The Irish Times as an independent newspaper primarily concerned with serious issues for the benefit of the community throughout the whole of Ireland, free from any form of personal or party political, commercial, religious or other sectional control".

The launch of www.irishtimes.com on Monday morning is intended to ensure the continuity of this newspapers distinct ethos, identity and journalism in new media.

For the love of God!

Podolski

I take it that doesn't include the Archive section which is €395 a year to use.

scruff

Great move. I would guess that they've sold the ireland.com site for a hefty fee.

Bobb

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

remember martyn Turner's sarcastic cartoon designed to make people unwilling to pay online for the IT as spongers.

Joke's on you now IT.

Obviously the subscription service was a flop and geraldine's just putting a worthy spin on the face-egg

Say what you like about the O'Reilly's but they're far savvier than the uptheirownbacksides Irish times

Bray Bugle

It's Ireland's best (and ironically the most Independent) daily newspaper. I guess the online charge proved too expensive; they didn't get the level of subscription they needed) and so now they are absorbing most of the online staff into the print newsroom. Of course the paper has too many ego-trippers and self-indulgent scribes, some of whom the paper could well do without (Breda O'Brien, Kate Holmquist, John Waters, who are parodying themselves at this stage). Still, the nuggets of gold camouflage the dross, and I would still rate it as the best Irish daily, indeed the best daily in these islands.

constitutionus

borntorum said:
It's a good decision, and long overdue. Going subscription-based was a bad idea - the IT could have developed an influential position worldwide if it had remained free.

Geraldine Kennedy has a typically over-the-top article in today's paper about the change, which can be read here

Madam said:
The launch of http://www.irishtimes.com presents us with the enhanced opportunity to bring Irish Times standards of journalism to a new audience.

In a new world where trust and accuracy are often the casualties of speed, http://www.irishtimes.com is designed to co-ordinate Irish Times content in print and online; to capitalise on our reputation for accuracy, authority, independent analysis and comment; to appeal to web-based readers who are growing in numbers; and, to restore The Irish Times title to the web.

Like this newspaper, irishtimes.com is governed by the Memoranda and Articles of The Irish Times Trust which mandates us "to publish The Irish Times as an independent newspaper primarily concerned with serious issues for the benefit of the community throughout the whole of Ireland, free from any form of personal or party political, commercial, religious or other sectional control".

The launch of http://www.irishtimes.com on Monday morning is intended to ensure the continuity of this newspapers distinct ethos, identity and journalism in new media.

For the love of God!
where exactly was the enboldened part of the above during the lisbon campaign?

still might be fun to drop in to pravda, sorry, the irish time site every now and again. particularly if i need a good laugh.

truely these people have disappeared up their own arses :)

passport

Who exactly are the members of this famous Trust? and why exactly are we meant to give our complete unquestioning belief to their guidance. Ireland did that for the Catholic Church and look what happened.

michael1965

seabhcan said:
I subscribe. Just got an e-mail saying I would be contacted "next week about my options". I hope one option is a refund.
Yes, you will be offered a refund for the remaining period of your subscription.

Conor

passport said:
Who exactly are the members of this famous Trust?
Here. You could have found that in less than a minute, if you bothered looking.
passport said:
and why exactly are we meant to give our complete unquestioning belief to their guidance.
Nobody's asking you to.

Halibut

Great. Now I can ignore it for free, rather than paying €2 for the same privilege.

(Actually, it'll remain my paper of choice. While I expect a paper to have
a position, it's over the top bias was just a little too much in the recent vote.)

passport

Conor said:
passport said:
Who exactly are the members of this famous Trust?
Here. You could have found that in less than a minute, if you bothered looking.
passport said:
and why exactly are we meant to give our complete unquestioning belief to their guidance.
Nobody's asking you to.
Hardly Media Moguls are they. I can see why they are forced to give away their online content now and the reason the newspaper has become a shambles.

Actually the IT is asking me to.

Conor

White Horse

TradCat said:
From Monday morning, The Irish Times will publish under a new address: http://www.irishtimes.com

It will be free to access
Wise move but too late.

Before they started charging for thier online version their site was hugely popular. Charging for their content saw most of their readers go elsewhere. They are unlikely to go back there.

The Irish Times website fiasco is really a case study is how to screw up a great opportunity.

drbob1972

White Horse said:
TradCat said:
From Monday morning, The Irish Times will publish under a new address: http://www.irishtimes.com

It will be free to access
Wise move but too late.

Before they started charging for thier online version their site was hugely popular. Charging for their content saw most of their readers go elsewhere. They are unlikely to go back there.

The Irish Times website fiasco is really a case study is how to screw up a great opportunity.
i'd not right it off yet, with some careful management and planning it could easily become one of the top sites in the country, potentially surpassing the likes of rte.ie/news, breakingnews.ie and what ever the indo's website is. of course the question is whats the motivation in same ?

Pidge

Interesting. To be honest, it had become a bit of a sham. There were a few logins floating around the place.

drbob1972

Pidge said:
Interesting. To be honest, it had become a bit of a sham. There were a few logins floating around the place. Oxfam's one was fairly well-known, for example.
not to mention Davy Stockbrokers, the amount of ppl whom told me that one was amazing.......