• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Irish towns and cities are cleaner than most in Europe

Iphonista

Isn't this excellent news? I remember when most towns had a major litter problem. Now it seems that people's attitudes have really changed.

I think the IBAL (Irish Business Against Litter) folks deserve a huge pat on the back. Their litter league tables really shamed some towns into cleaning up their act. I remember Navan being a perennial mess but it seems even the dirtier towns are copping on.

Irish cities and towns cleaner than EU average - RTÉ News

FrankSpeaks

Isn't this excellent news? I remember when most towns had a major litter problem. Now it seems that people's attitudes have really changed.

I think the IBAL (Irish Business Against Litter) folks deserve a huge pat on the back. Their litter league tables really shamed some towns into cleaning up their act. I remember Navan being a perennial mess but it seems even the dirtier towns are copping on.

Our towns are getting cleaner but we still have litter louts who drop rubbish and especially cigarette butts, litter wardens need to fine these people. We could also do with a lot more litter bins on our streets.

Hitch 22

Country roads are in a terrible state.
The ditches are full of rubbish thrown from passing cars.

Iphonista

Our towns are getting cleaner but we still have litter louts who drop rubbish and especially cigarette butts, litter wardens need to fine these people. We could also do with a lot more litter bins on our streets.
Yes, there still is room for improvements. We should aim for being the cleanest. The lack of bins is irritating. Did they take them away?

Shqiptar

Cavan's kicking ass again, I see. Yay.

(Yeah, we're too feckin' mayne to thrrow antin' away....sigh)

Asparagus

Thanks to the EU and the enforced austerity we have less disposable income and thus less litter.
A prosperous Ireland is a dirty Ireland.

Long live tayto wrappers soiling the countryside.

D

Dylan2010

Cavan's kicking ass again, I see. Yay.

(Yeah, we're too feckin' mayne to thrrow antin' away....sigh)
I suppose dumping of laundered fuel waste doesnt count?:D

Cash-strapped local authorities are facing growing bills to clean up toxic sludge created by illegal fuel laundering.

Louth County Council yesterday said its costs for removing and transporting diesel wash have increased by about 20% so far this year, and will outstrip the €1m-plus it cost last year.

Monaghan County Council said it has recovered 288,640 litres of toxic sludge so far this year — far exceeding last year’s total of 198,800l.

It means its costs for dealing with the problem is also likely to top €1m this year.

Both local authorities — and those of Meath and Cavan — are likely to enter into a new tender agreement in future for the disposal of the waste in a bid to cut costs.

At present there is no facility in Ireland at which the diesel wash — waste material left over from fuel laundering — can be processed and disposed of.

The waste material must be transported to the Lindenschmidt facility in Germany, adding to the overall cost.

Shqiptar

I suppose dumping of laundered fuel waste doesnt count?:D
That's not us. That's nordies, Monaghan people, non-locals....

*points randomly around*

Spanner Island

Part of the reason could also be because many towns and villages are becoming lifeless ghost towns as emigration continues unabated...

No-one about to litter...

Asparagus

Well done Enda.

Another achievement for our FG/Lab govt.
Absolutely!!

It sure does put 12% of mortgages > 90days in arrears into perspective.
And 200 people leaving every day.

Who needs 5 point plans when you have tidy towns

Iphonista

Thanks to the EU and the enforced austerity we have less disposable income and thus less litter.
A prosperous Ireland is a dirty Ireland.

Long live tayto wrappers soiling the countryside.
But things were improving even during the boom. Explain that .

meriwether

Absolutely!!

It sure does put 12% of mortgages > 90days in arrears into perspective.
And 200 people leaving every day.

Who needs 5 point plans when you have tidy towns
Most people are emigrating because they don't want to live in dirty towns.

Enda ensuring that we have a clean country is the first step is addressing the emigration problem.

Shqiptar

Asparagus

But things were improving even during the boom. Explain that .
Hold on so Enda and Killmore didn't do this?

I thought it was The Bothering that caused this.
4/5 towns are slightly above average.... its a ridiculous thing to get excited about...

Asparagus

Most people are emigrating because they don't want to live in dirty towns.

Enda ensuring that we have a clean country is the first step is addressing the emigration problem.
Hold on clean is a bit of a stretch - we are celebrating being slightly above average.
Its heady stuff but don't allow yourself drift in to hyperbole.

Yes to Lisbon, Yes to Tidy Towns

meriwether

Hold on clean is a bit of a stretch - we are celebrating being slightly above average.
Its heady stuff but don't allow yourself drift in to hyperbole.

Yes to Lisbon, Yes to Tidy Towns
We should be celebrating the resulting reduction in emigration from having cleaner towns.

Its only right to credit Kenny with this.