• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Irish TV programs - a neglected export opportunity?

Shqiptar

This thread is partly for the purposes of seeking information but also for discussing how Irish broadcasters might be missing out on a source of revenue. I'm interested in finding out how many and which Irish TV programs have been exported and shown abroad over the years.

It is - in my humble opinion - a neglected area. Literature, music and theatre get far more attention despite the fact that the medium of television has a much greater reach.

It's a very effective means of challenging stereotypes of a country (something which the rash of Australian soaps don't seek to do!) and where appropriate, portraying a positive image.

I'm aware that Love/Hate has got some exposure abroad. The Clinic has also been sold to a few European countries. Are these the only ones in recent years? Raw doesn't seem to have been sold abroad despite showing the sort of production values I'd regard as being of an international standard. I recall how the Lyrics Board was a reasonable success and the format was adopted in about a dozen countries. In the dim and distant past, there was Strumpet City. Can anyone add to the list?

This article might offer a way forward for RTÉ should they be looking for ways to wean themselves off their reliance on the public purse.

A clue for RTÉ in Danish drama series - The Irish Times - Mon, Sep 17, 2012

revolution

Read the other day that love/hate is being shown in australia and south korea

Evil Eco-Fascist

Wasn't 'The Lyrics Boards' a big Irish TV export success (the concept, rather than the actual Irish shows, I think), so I'd heard in a few places?

There are huge costs concerned when exporting home-produced stuff such as documentaries. Music royalties are one cost. It's far cheaper to use existing music and pay the royalties when broadcasting in the Irish market than to produce music just for the documentary.

When you go abroad with the same programme the cost of royalties shoot up.

D

Dylan2010

much better to shut RTE down and reduce imports and paying twice for all the content twice.

Heligoland

I predict in a short while that a poster with a username beginning with A will make a point drawing a comparison between the state broadcaster and a famous Russian newspaper.

Shqiptar

Read the other day that love/hate is being shown in australia and south korea
Oh, that's good. I'd heard it was being shown on some Scottish channel.

Protestant/Catholic=Irish

Most Irish TV output is awful and anyone with real talent goes to work in the UK.
Ah yes, the Labour Party and its members once again fighting for the cause of Irish workers :roll:

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

This thread is partly for the purposes of seeking information but also for discussing how Irish broadcasters might be missing out on a source of revenue. I'm interested in finding out how many and which Irish TV programs have been exported and shown abroad over the years.

It is - in my humble opinion - a neglected area. Literature, music and theatre get far more attention despite the fact that the medium of television has a much greater reach.

It's a very effective means of challenging stereotypes of a country (something which the rash of Australian soaps don't seek to do!) and where appropriate, portraying a positive image.

I'm aware that Love/Hate has got some exposure abroad. The Clinic has also been sold to a few European countries. Are these the only ones in recent years? Raw doesn't seem to have been sold abroad despite showing the sort of production values I'd regard as being of an international standard. I recall how the Lyrics Board was a reasonable success and the format was adopted in about a dozen countries. In the dim and distant past, there was Strumpet City. Can anyone add to the list?

This article might offer a way forward for RTÉ should they be looking for ways to wean themselves off their reliance on the public purse.

A clue for RTÉ in Danish drama series - The Irish Times - Mon, Sep 17, 2012
I've long since abandoned RTÉ (and the TV license subsequently) but the last really well produced show I remember was one by the name of 'Proof'; first shown in 2004. It was funded and produced by both RTÉ and TV2 (part-funded by Irish and Danish taxpayers respectively) but received critical claim and was shown in other countries.

redhead

Wasn't 'The Lyrics Boards' a big Irish TV export success (the concept, rather than the actual Irish shows, I think), so I'd heard in a few places?
AFAIK it was sold as a format to other territories which would have made money for the production company rather than RTE.

On the OP, RTE have to up their game if they want international sales. Love/Hate is definitely of that quality but as has been pointed out a lot it seems to be the exception rather than the rule. Don't forget that the overseas stuff we see, mostly US, is the very best they have to offer, there is an awful of lot of ***** made as well.

Shqiptar

There are huge costs concerned when exporting home-produced stuff such as documentaries. Music royalties are one cost. It's far cheaper to use existing music and pay the royalties when broadcasting in the Irish market than to produce music just for the documentary.

When you go abroad with the same programme the cost of royalties shoot up.
Who incurs that cost? Would it not be the foreign TV channel? Just asking...

Shqiptar

Most Irish TV output is awful and anyone with real talent goes to work in the UK.
Well, TV is awful in most countries. As another poster down the thread has pointed out, the imports we get to see are the very best that country has to offer.

It's a medium that lends itself all too readily to being dumbed down.

Anyone with real talent gets snapped up by UK channels who can wave much fatter wage packets.

sport02

I remember reading a couple of years ago that it was the number one show in a Scandinavian country for many years, I think Finland.
Also Love Hate has been sold to many countries including STV in Scotland.

Shqiptar