Irish University Rankings: Horrifying Collapse

Patslatt1

Well if the clowns in Trinity are too busy forcing kids into "Consent" classes and only building unisex toilets (when Oxford said no) is anyone surprised ?

If the students don't rebel against unisex toilets, they deserve them.

Patslatt1

Overpaid, self regarding, mediocre, leftist propaganda spewing academics want more money to allow them to continue with and justify their ineptitude.
The old maxim "the more left the more inept" for academics obviously still applies. The answer is always more money, forget reform. No wonder the decline is occurring.
Maybe the very high student to lecturer/prof ratios reflected falling capitation fees as enrollments surged, undermining education quality? It looks like government spending on third level education, though recovering from austerity cutbacks, is still about 20% lower in real terms than in the past peak about nine years ago.

Last edited:

Patslatt1

So what? Where's the biggest Francohphone or German/Italian/Spanish speaking universities? There are Anglophone unis in the US/Canada/Oz/SA and NZ if that's what someone wants. There are a billion point two in India. A billion plus in China. There will be 2 billion in African is twenty years. Why would university in a country of five million rank even in the top one hundred and does it matter a damn in employment?
The relative ranking fall in Ireland would mattter less if it resulted from increased competition among global universities but maybe an absolute abrupt fall in Irish standards is occuring.

Last edited:

Patslatt1

Fine Gael, especially Mary Mitchell O'Connor , ordered the research grants towards immediate employment opportunities

A corruption of the whole system

The deterioration of Irish universities is squarely down to a small few policy makers

Before her acrimonious divorce, & relocation to Dublin, Mary Mitchell O'Connor only had experience in primary schools

Then...she met the PDs , who in turn, introduced her to Enda Kenny

Cyp
Her role?

Patslatt1

Do you mean as a student or as a member of staff?

I knew this Hungarian academic in UCC who gave up and went home. He said it was sad watching a culture destroy itself. He was a bright man, could have stayed for the money but didn't, was disgusted by what he saw in Irish academic circles.
Can you be specific? UCC plunged in the ratings.

Patslatt1

I mean more as someone looking to get tenure. Yes a member of the academic staff. The marxist poison being spread from academia has all but destroyed Sweden.

Sweden cut back a lot on social welfare in the 80s and 90s, partly because the young generation were losing the work ethic and partly because of a collapse in the banking system which had to be nationalised.

Patslatt1

Do you think all the universities above the Irish ones are 'leftist' free then - using your logic there must be no 'leftism' at all in the top ten.

Perhaps if you had attended university you might not make such ignorant & cretinous posts on the internet.
Many establishment US universities have always had Marxist academic cliques. Marxism looks intellectual, though discredited by the reality of communism.

Patslatt1

Lads, check the criteria used to compile this index. Ever wonder about all those studies which show that fat is good and then fat is bad, butter is good but then butter is bad? In the top ranking universities PhD students are urged to publish crap; quantity rather than quality. As a result we get badly planned articles which are peddled to the media who mangle them even more. Such universities rise to the top because of the number of publications from their postgrads.
Science journals are getting clever at rejecting bogus research.

Patslatt1

The problem is not so much with the university’s as it is with Ireland’s primary and secondary educational system.
The latter two have been seriously dumbing down to accommodate the mental thickos and some 3rd level institutions are doing the same.

You see in Ireland everybody has the same intelligence .
To admit or claim anybody has superior intelligence is to offend the thicko mental brigade.

So throughout Irelands gigantic politically correct and odious state run educational system ,highly paid educationalists in collaboration with so-called even higher paid teachers, have dropped standards consistently over the years in order that the thickest stupidest student never fails.

See.
Cos failure is hurtful and the thicko mentally defective student must be made to feel like everybody else.
Otherwise it is DISCRIMINATION.

The consequences of these politically correct anti social false equality policies is that Ireland’s 3rd level system is now been seen for what it is Ie not fit for purpose because the thickos rule now dictate the syllabi.and the grading standards.
Ireland performs very well, near the top, in the low percentage of teenage students who fail all three PISA tests, around 8%. Other anglophone countries and France are around 12 to 14%. The socially excluded class should join the mainstream of Irish society on this progress.

Patslatt1

You're allowed to hold any of those views if you are a senior academic but if you are an up-and-comer you better sing from the hymn-sheet or the twitter swarm moralists will devour you.

I worked in a third level institute as temporary academic (junior position - editing, tutoring ect) and the domineering self-righteous leftists were so fúcking intimidating that it stifled debate. I edited a number of publications that were based on conference papers; they were all dominated by whatever leftist themes were trending, typically multiculturalism and gender. They were appallingly generic and all of the articles seemed to be outdoing each other to find evidence of lesbian poetry in ninth century Islamic Spain or black transgender opera singers performing Wagner. I could put up with their inability to reference properly but the way they all concluded with a ugly big MESSAGE that had the subtlety of a brick thrown through a window really made me want to poke out my eyes. The worst part was meeting all the authors of these articles and forcing myself to come out with lies such as 'your article on the evils of male privilege was really novel.' I presented a number of papers on class and socio-economic themes and they went down like a lead-balloon. I came to the conclusion that most of the leftist academics were part of the guilt-ridden middle-class who focused on themes relating to gender and ethnicity for superficial reasons.

All that said though, the top top academics tend to be very different - really unique thinkers who are just a joy to listen to.
What kind of institute was it? And how and why do so many hard lefties get academic jobs?

Patslatt1

Maths is the basis of education, even when I went to university in the 90s fellow students found standard deviation confusing and they’ve lowered the bar since then. I’ve met people with degrees who don’t understand the > < signs. We need to make university more exclusive and let the others go to a lesser institute.
Unis need the bums on seats to finance operations.

SD in a stats course?

Patslatt1

A huge amount of truth in that.

Falling standards suit educators because it allow them to conceal their own increasingly laziness and incompetence. Everyone gets a 2.1 or higher no matter how shït the teaching effort is.

Irish third level colleges are largely indifferent to the needs of their students, whom are often treated with utter contempt. They are run primarily in the interests of highly paid administrators.

I know of one "university" which whores out it's student body as unpaid "interns" to local businesses for six months at a time. No doubt the corrupt institution in question gets kick-backs from business.
Internships in sophisticated businesses like investment banking, architecture etc are prized. What kind of local businesses were they? Didn't students know they were exploited as you imply?

Patslatt1

Maths is very important but it's a narrow definition of education that misses other critical areas of competency. Indeed it's as much a decline in logic, argument and rhetoric as anything else that has seen intellectual life become engrossed in manias. I can understand Voltaire's upset, as there is tremendous joy and value to be found in learning, though think it a little coarsely put.

There was a great opening up of third level education in recent times that is much to be commended. The opportunity for flourishing to meet one's potential is a vital community as well as individual good. The problem is that the conversion of education into a status indicator is much to the detriment of its purpose in furthering excellence. That, and the persistent assault on the classic values of application, intelligence and objectivity by a particular organised subculture within universities.

If you listen to the current intellectual hegemony you can observe that its whole focus is on status goals and prestige. A group whose focus is wholly on status is a corrupt one - the importance of the stuff of study must be a priority. Striving for status, rather than this, overrides ethics and strips an organisation's sustainability. Venezuela is a good example but equally good examples can be found in all sorts of religious, commercial, civic and social institutions too. It's a quality of decay. This is obvious with a little reflection. Negative selection has become a thing. This was observed and predicted some time ago but is only now becoming too obvious to obfuscate.

Jordan Peterson tweeted about the war on competency in universities and I think an objection to this is what has got him so animated and vocal. Now he did reference an article in Breitbart, which is a little spectrum, but it may be that this is the only place that he can find reports on something that he's dealing with all the time and which he finds to be an academic outrage.

If you look at his classroom videos you can see that he has a wide variety of students and he engages with all of them fully, conscious of their dignity and regardless of their gender, ethnicity etc. So it isn't some profound bigotry that's driving him, its something more like a scholar's fury at the weaponisation of learning as a means of furtherance for puerile buffoons. I get this annoyance of his and also have some regard for his standing as a scholar. I acknowledge him as a voice with a position that must be accounted for.

It's important to remember that dressing up isn't the same as being. What we're seeing is a crisis in maturation and that's something that can only be begun to be addressed in the family. Deconstruct the family in an effort to expand the ecosystem for tepid talents and you see a deterioration in the essential standards that maintain modern society. The normalisation of disvalue is not a welcome development.

As a somewhat trite addendum I'd like to add that I've seen remarkable men and women from all parts of the list of divisions commonly bandied. The current struggle isn't between men or women, black or white, believer or unbeliever etc - this is just the screen behind which ideological gangs draw their levies - it is between the psychically healthy and the psychically unhealthy. The only remedy is courage and meaning.
"That, and the persistent assault on the classic values of application, intelligence and objectivity by a particular organised subculture within universities", you wrote. Who are they?

Watcher2

Internships in sophisticated businesses like investment banking, architecture etc are prized. What kind of local businesses were they? Didn't students know they were exploited as you imply?
Don't mind volatire, he's talking bullsh1t as usual. When given the opportunity to back up his statements and claims here, he failed worse than any student I've come across, or anyone else. He never passes with honours on p.ie.

Roberto Jordan

I also know that the only university I was aware of that does this as a matter of course, Limerick, had a hard and fast principle that such positions must be paid . Maybe its different now but remember being little jealous of idea - in effect it was a summer job but in a relevant field...rather than picking stones in a field!

Analyzer

Still trying to fathom TCD giving an "honoury" degree to Deleter of the Free World ?

I wonder how the Irish "Independent" will cover this story.......they know a thing or two about deleting emails....

Notachipanoaktree

What kind of institute was it? And how and why do so many hard lefties get academic jobs?
It's a hold Labour and the ICTU have on the institutions from of old. FF got the PS jobs (Principals etc), FG got the Gombeen men/women and the guards and Labour got the public institutions. This is how the spoils of revolution were divided up between the main protagonists. It is understood and unchangeable.
Bet ye can't find that in your history books.

Notachipanoaktree

I also know that the only university I was aware of that does this as a matter of course, Limerick, had a hard and fast principle that such positions must be paid . Maybe its different now but remember being little jealous of idea - in effect it was a summer job but in a relevant field...rather than picking stones in a field!
xxxxx

Notachipanoaktree

Don't mind volatire, he's talking bullsh1t as usual. When given the opportunity to back up his statements and claims here, he failed worse than any student I've come across, or anyone else. He never passes with honours on p.ie.
Shadup already. Your in Ireland, NO POST-ITS allowed. Real History is word of mouth only. Shake the tree and see what falls out.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies