Irish University Rankings: Horrifying Collapse

Gurdiev77

Irish Universities spew out an almost daily media barrage telling us how great they are. About to discover the cure for cancer, about to locate of Atlantis, about to find life on Titan etc etc etc. It's embarrassing, and of course reality is radically different.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/cash-crisis-irish-universities-fall-further-down-the-world-rankings-list-36985445.html

The solution? Of course they want more money. Always more money.

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/innovation/irish-universities-qs-world-university-rankings-2019

Nope. It's because you're shït.

Throwing more money at these dysfunctional institutions would simply reward failure. A better strategy would be mass firings of administrators and idiot academic staff. Our top universities have been hiring idiots for years, and reality is finally beginning to catch up. University administration is a disaster for staff and students alike. These people are fücking idiot fantasists who think they are running fortune 500 companies not teaching colleges.

Rewarding failure by simply giving the same clowns more of our money is not viable option. Mass firings or Ceaucesceau style machine gun executions are required before handing these proven incompetents more taxpayer cash.

Brexit offers unique opportunities to Irish higher education to attract students. In fact, there is large scale building iof student housing partly in anticipation of an influx of foreign students. The collapse in rankings threatens to undermine this and cost the state dear.

We have put up with fourth rate Irish university staff for too long. Now that they are officially fifth rate, time to take action.
I'm not sure if the staff are fourth or fifth rate , as you say, but IIRC they wouldn't get better salaries in Harvard , Berkeley or Oxford.

Gurdiev77

Still trying to fathom TCD giving an "honoury" degree to Deleter of the Free World ?

I wonder how the Irish "Independent" will cover this story.......they know a thing or two about deleting emails....
well you could delete 30.000posts off this site , and lose nothing.
The same can be said for most peoples emails- about 2% are of any value, the rest is blather.

Patslatt1

I also know that the only university I was aware of that does this as a matter of course, Limerick, had a hard and fast principle that such positions must be paid . Maybe its different now but remember being little jealous of idea - in effect it was a summer job but in a relevant field...rather than picking stones in a field!
Yet Limerick's graduates rank poorly with a majority of employers in the global survey as do UCC, UCG and DCU.

sic transit

Yet Limerick's graduates rank poorly with a majority of employers in the global survey as do UCC, UCG and DCU.
What global survey is this?

Patslatt1

You may not realise this but most students never attend a sociology lecture.

Beyond that, we're all marxists these days: everyone in a relevant discipline uses the analytical methods developed by Karl Marx regardless of our own political viewpoint, as his methodology is so powerful
Marx's model of monopoly capitalism was inspired by Ricardo's wheat model which in turn was inspired by Adam Smith's observation about the monopoly element of land rents.

Two of Marx's observations were original: that the increasing instability of 19th century recessions would result in a depressionary collapse; and that the laws and customs of societies are shaped by economic interests.

How do the above translate to analytical methods for you?

Patslatt1

Its interesting what you say Brenny.

I dabble in one particular field and meet many academics in it and visit university libraries and research institutions quite often. I would say most students/postgrads/academics are quite intelligent and in many cases work quite hard and honestly in their endeavours in this area. But when they go to write their academic works a lot of what comes out reads terribly, to me anyway. To write 'academically' say for a phd, seems to involve breaking your work into various 'themes' that usually mean nothing and completely destroy any real usefulness in your research, as far as I can tell anyway. Sometimes they even destroy - in this academic process - the simple concept of writing clearly, so people understand what you are saying as opposed to being impressed by how academic it sounds, and making a unique point in each paragraph.

I knew a person for example who did enormous work in a particular field over quite a few years, a particularly talented intelligent and genuinely well educated - in some respects anyway - person and I was really interested to read his book which was based on his phd which was on a generally interesting subject. But instead the book, and phd I guess, was mush, it actually didn't say anything as such, the themes or this attempt to box everything into sociological trends - if not gender stuff - just destroyed the usefulness of his work I'd say.

Also what you find is that most of those guys are quite afraid to really question what they are being taught, they don't think for themselves very originally at all. And I would have to say feminism is really very destructive in Irish academia, they just throw it in everywhere and it depresses everybody's sense of truthfulness or accuracy.

Just one last thought. I didn't find that higher end academics were any better, in Ireland anyway. Rather I find reading older Irish academic work is much better. Even in the much maligned 50s in Ireland you can read some very good academic writing. You read people who don't stretch out one essential point needlessly over a whole book, like you get nowadays and they are just much more interesting and thought provoking to read, with real learning in them.
If academics and students don't have the intellectual honesty to stand up to the feminist nonsense you mention (as opposed to genuine feminist concerns), they deserve mediocrity and irrelevance.

Volatire

I also know that the only university I was aware of that does this as a matter of course, Limerick, had a hard and fast principle that such positions must be paid . Maybe its different now but remember being little jealous of idea - in effect it was a summer job but in a relevant field...rather than picking stones in a field!
Factually false. UL's internships are unpaid - at least the students don't get paid, perhaps UL gets a slavetrader cut.

Clearly UL don't value either their own teaching or students very highly.

Maranatha

What kind of institute was it? And how and why do so many hard lefties get academic jobs?
Naturally the lefties in charge are giving the jobs to other lefties.. political discrimination.

Watcher2

Well, DIT Aungier street placements are paid. The guide to employers in the early 90's was £100 per week, which at the time was not a bad wedge for unqualified students. A mate of mine training as an accountant was getting £40-£50 from one of the big five firms (was five big firms back then).

reg11

Factually false. UL's internships are unpaid - at least the students don't get paid, perhaps UL gets a slavetrader cut.

Clearly UL don't value either their own teaching or students very highly.
That's false. I know one who was definitely paid.Back around 8 yrs ago.

Volatire

That's false. I know one who was definitely paid.Back around 8 yrs ago.
UL students are used as unpaid slave labour.

FACT.

No idea when this disgusting practice started.

Hitchcock

What kind of institute was it? And how and why do so many hard lefties get academic jobs?
That's a nonsensical fallacious argument. They don't. Look at the academic commentators sought for media comment, they're overwhelmingly pro market.

Last edited:

Watcher2

UL students are used as unpaid slave labour.

FACT.

No idea when this disgusting practice started.
Look at you all concerned for the poor student. Meanwhile, you froth at the mouth to have them enslaved to paying extortionate mortgage rates, banging on all the time as you do as to how supposedly cheap house prices are even in Dublin.

That's what's fvcking disgusting you hypocrite

SweenyTodd

Is it any wonder they have dropped in the rankings. When academic institutions become agents of flabby, status quo leftism, decline is the only possible future.

The Irish academic institutions, like so many others are dominated by marxists who don't tolerate conflicting opinions.
As the Secretary would say: Ravaging liberalism is Irelands new modern version of the intolerant RCC of the 1950's.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies