Irish University Rankings: Horrifying Collapse

SweenyTodd

Is it any wonder they have dropped in the rankings. When academic institutions become agents of flabby, status quo leftism, decline is the only possible future.

The Irish academic institutions, like so many others are dominated by marxists who don't tolerate conflicting opinions.
having had some experience of the Swedish education system, which is certainly dominated by leftists who don't tolerate conflicting opinions, I still found Swedish university education far superior to Irish.

having had some experience of the Swedish education system, which is certainly dominated by leftists who don't tolerate conflicting opinions, I still found Swedish university education far superior to Irish.
We're at a serious disadvantage with the majority leaving uni with only one language

Ireniall

Well you better tell us how they are that much better. I know they have a couple in the top 100 I think.

General Urko

In terms of vocational value a lot of primary degrees now have the same worth as the Inter Cert back in the 80s!

General Urko

How much of third level in our great little shytehole is the empreor's new clothes?

If you take The West - North West of the shytehole, there are 4 ITs, 1 university and a few private businesses awarding degrees.

I would reckon about 8,000 level 8/level 9 graduates are churned out annually from these august institutions into the workplace.

Are there even 20 graduate level entry jobs per week in this catchment area?

Let's be generous and say there is, so that's 1000 or so employed per year!

If you had to pay for your third level education in this area with accom costs etc. on top of it and it didn't get you employment in the end, it would be up there with the biggest con jobs you ever engaged with in your life!

Politics matters

How much of third level in our great little shytehole is the empreor's new clothes?

If you take The West - North West of the shytehole, there are 4 ITs, 1 university and a few private businesses awarding degrees.

I would reckon about 8,000 level 8/level 9 graduates are churned out annually from these august institutions into the workplace.

Are there even 20 graduate level entry jobs per week in this catchment area?

Let's be generous and say there is, so that's 1000 or so employed per year!

If you had to pay for your third level education in this area with accom costs etc. on top of it and it didn't get you employment in the end, it would be up there with the biggest con jobs you ever engaged with in your life!

It is usually the parents who are paying out that money. The students have a great 3-4 years.

Watcher2

Three or four years? I can't remember, dude. They say if you remember it you weren't there. And maybe I wasn't. I just don't remember, man
So all those who didn't go to third level and therefore have no memory of it can think they did go? ;)

Fun with Irish

We're at a serious disadvantage with the majority leaving uni with only one language
Are you implying that the Irish language as an entry condition to the National University of Ireland is not having the desired effect? That every entrant is not pre-prepared by 14 years of studying Irish to acquire any new language in jig time?

The NUI Irish-language entry condition has been running since 1908 and deserves more respect than that sort of unfounded smear.

Dame_Enda

There needs to be more focus on equipping students with skills useful in the workforce rather than on the liberal arts.

McTell

Twitter
No
OMG, the great god trinners down to 164, and my alma mater even lower. God be with the days.

We have 200,000 at 3rd level. There are no end of buildings built. The state bungs in 2 billion a year (you never see the figure in the newspapers). Foreign students pay full whack (or do they?)

What is the problem?

toughbutfair

Nothing wrong with getting straight Cs in your leaving but that shouldn’t get you into a university, such people should go to the smaller institutes. People getting Cs and Ds (honour subjects) should learn trades, apprenticeships or simply get a job.

We should pay for the best and university students should borrow about 100k via student loans, this debt should never be forgiven. All arts degrees should be ended as should other useless ones.

toughbutfair

There needs to be more focus on equipping students with skills useful in the workforce rather than on the liberal arts.
Recently I was trying to teach a university student on work experience how to do a standard deviation formula on excel. She finally got it but it transpired that she had no idea what it meant , didn’t ask and she didn’t even google it to see, and she’s doing a commerce/business degree. SD was on the leaving cert course in the 90s, is it not any more? Terrible.

McTell

Twitter
No
When you read that our professors are on 150,000 average salary, and the iggerant ould german profs are on 70,000, you realise the basic budgets are not comparing like with like.

pedagogus

When you read that our professors are on 150,000 average salary, and the iggerant ould german profs are on 70,000, you realise the basic budgets are not comparing like with like.
Whatever about the salaries, the Germans don't seem to be concerned about their relatively low rankings. From memory , the two Munich universities sit at 60 and 61 in the QS rankings and the late 40s in The Times one.
Their focus seems to be on the student experience rather than trying to chase rankings by vastly increasing research funding at the expense of teaching.
My younger son was a Theoretical Physics post-doc in one of the Munich universities and was impressed by it.
These rankings are dominated by very wealthy universities who do not necessarily focus on student outcomes.

Patslatt1

Is it any wonder they have dropped in the rankings. When academic institutions become agents of flabby, status quo leftism, decline is the only possible future.

The Irish academic institutions, like so many others are dominated by marxists who don't tolerate conflicting opinions.
For example?

Patslatt1

Dublin will be the largest anglophone city in the entire EU.

We are small, but not insignificant. Unfortunately overpaid idiots at our institutions of higher education are undermining the country.
The profs I've heard on media are impressive. Maybe U rankings would be worse with lower prof pay. Maybe the fall in rankings is down to second rate infrastructure and equipment?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies