• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Irish water

Fr.Ted Crilly

Just got my lovely glossy booklet from Irish water.
First paragraph 'It costs about €1.2 billion per year to run the current system, with most of this funding coming from state sources'
Why doesn't it just state that the funding comes from the Irish taxpayer and that any new charges are just an income tax hike by proxy?
Will there be a reduction in income tax, VAT, property tax etc etc once they bring this new tax in?
Are the government trying to get to a system where all of our income is returned in taxes?
Why would anyone want to 'better' themselves, improve their lives, when they will be taxed on everything they do?

Franzoni

First paragraph 'It costs about €1.2 billion per year to run the current system, with most of this funding coming from state sources'
Why doesn't it just state that the funding comes from the Irish taxpayer and that any new charges are just an income tax hike by proxy?
Will there be a reduction in income tax, VAT, property tax etc etc once they bring this new tax in?
Are the government trying to get to a system where all of our income is returned in taxes?
Why would anyone want to 'better' themselves, improve their lives, when they will be taxed on everything they do?
Yeah just the same sh1te through the door as well Ted.........

No mention of the amount of water wasted due to leakage and bad management of the system over the last few decades.....

Crazy horse 6

Hence the reason many are checking out of the PAYE tax system and working below the radar.

Fr.Ted Crilly

Yeah just the same sh1te through the door as well Ted.........

No mention of the amount of water wasted due to leakage and bad management of the system over the last few decades.....
FG 'we will reduce the number of quangos'
What a joke?

Dunlin3

Businesses have to pay for their water. Why would there be a reduction in taxes when the state is borrowing 12 billion this year to cover current spending?

Fr.Ted Crilly

Oh yea, and headed by a serial civil servant leech called John Tierney.
How many pensions is this leech entitled to now?

Fr.Ted Crilly

Businesses have to pay for their water. Why would there be a reduction in taxes when the state is borrowing 12 billion this year to cover current spending?
Will there be a reduction in taxes when the state isn't borrowing to cover spending?

Dunlin3

Will there be a reduction in taxes when the state isn't borrowing to cover spending?
Maybe, we've had tax reductions in the past. Don't think it will be for some time though as the country has been saddled with huge debt.

realistic1

Wait until they start spouting ************************ about privatising the Water system. e.g. Privatisation will bring competition, which in turn will bring lower prices to consumers. How long will it take for this to happen???

Franzoni

Hence the reason many are checking out of the PAYE tax system and working below the radar.
I've gone the other way....... i have a potential news business venture with a couple of others,got ourselves a good accountant and gonna ride the system legit...........:)

darkknight

Now, not even our rivers run free! :-(

[video=youtube;3Ln9QnLaWrY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ln9QnLaWrY[/video]

onthefence

I too read the leaflet and I am surprised by the lack of transparency. Surely we have learnt from the disaster called the HSE to name but one.

Our Government promised us a new way of doing things and this just reads like the same old.
Something I would like to see is a forum for the water users to have access to the decision making of the board. I definitely dont want Public Interest Directors or Worker Directors or any other type of patronage Directors on the board.
Water is so important to our country that it cannot be left in the hands of a few people.
Some of the things on my list are Board meetings published, proper consultation with users, Whistle blower. Reading through the legislation all I am see "the Minister blah, blah. . ."

fergus34

Twitter
She's lovely personality
Yep, joined RTE early discussions and news at seven pm, with a nice Cristy Moore song.
what ever been said exept debt deals. We're well known debitors, not again. in new year

moralhazard77

Water is Life - Water Privatization Conflicts

In her book Water Wars, the Indian author Vandana Shiva lists nine principles underpinning water democracy. At least two of these principles are directly compromised by the privatization of water. Point number four states that “Water must be free for sustenance needs. Since nature gives water to us free of cost, buying and selling it for profit violates our inherent right to nature's gift and denies the poor of their human rights.” When private companies try to make large profits through high water prices, it denies the poor the inalienable right to the most necessary substance for life. In accordance with this fact, point number seven states, “Water is a commons. . . It cannot be owned as private property and sold as a commodity.” How can one justify claiming water as their own through contractual agreement while letting another human being go thirsty? Water is a commons because it is the basis of all life. Water rights are natural rights and thus are usufructuary rights, meaning that water can be used, but not owned. As far fetched as water ownership may seem, it is happening at an increasing rate around the globe.

Currently there is a rush to privatize water services around the world. The World Bank and International Monetary Fund (IMF) are pushing for the privatization of water services by European and U.S.-based companies. They are pushing privatization through stipulations in trade agreements and loan conditions to developing countries. These privatization programs started in the early 1990’s and have since emerged in India, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina, Nigeria, Mexico, Malaysia, Australia, and the Philippines, to name a few. In Chile, the World Bank imposed a loan condition to guarantee a 33 percent profit margin to the French company Suez Lyonnaise des Eaux while the company insisted on a margin of 35 percent....

Conclusion

The rush to privatize water continues unencumbered, despite its unpopularity among residents worldwide who are affected by it. Countries faced with large debts are forced by the World Bank and IMF to privatize water . Water deregulation is a common demand of the World Bank and IMF as part of their loan conditions. In 2000, out of 40 IMF loans distributed through the International Finance Corporation, 12 had requirements of partial or full privatization of water supplies. They also insisted on the creation of policies to stimulate “full cost recovery” and the elimination of subsidies. African governments, such as Ghana, increasingly give in to pressures for water privatization. In Ghana, the World Bank and IMF policies forced the sale of water at market rate, requiring the poor to spend up to 50 percent of their earnings on water purchases.
Our government should be ashamed of themselves.

Last edited:

emulator

I believe there are to be protests by the workers that currently provide the service in the coming weeks....

Zerubbabel

It should have continued . . .

Our select cronies don't make money from this, so we've decided to award some cronie contracts to our pals to install their private water meters on your property and make you pay for them and the reading of them every year, we are also going to make you pay a private company for the water you already own and pay for.

Nice

DaveM

I believe there are to be protests by the workers that currently provide the service in the coming weeks....
I work in the industry and haven't heard anything about that. Where did you hear it?

Ribeye

Watch for SiteServ,

You are being treated worse than slaves,

At least slaves knew they were slaves,

Wake up, educate yourselves,

JOIN THE RESISTANCE!

Ribeye

5 litre bottle of water - €1.29 in Lidl,

Your signing your own death warrant drinking that crap that comes our of the taps,