• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Iron Man suit being developed in...... Limerick?!

Ren84

Another milestone on the road towards living a comic book fantasy with the news the University of Limerick has been awarded EU science funding in the development of a human exoskeleton, or as I like to call it, an Iron Man suit. :)

A team of researchers at the University of Limerick have been awarded €480,000 in funding to help develop a human exoskeleton.

An exoskeleton could be used to minimise the risk of lower back injury among those in the workplace who carry out repeated manual handling.

It is estimated that 44m EU workers are affected by work related musculoskeletal disorders every year.

It is thought that work related musculoskeletal disorders cost the EU economy more than €240bn.

The project called the Robomate project aims to develop an exoskeleton for use in the workplace which would help reduce back injury.

The UL team will receive the money as part of a €5.8m European wide project, funded under the EU's Framework Programme 7.
UL to design human exoskeleton - RTÉ News

Bloody EU funding our universities. Will the torment from Brussels ever end?

Pics!

Frank Galton

Once he gets the suit we'll never stop him.

Hogsback

Needs to be strong enough to withstand kicks from Nike trainers yet light enough to allow a full sprint while carrying a flat screen television.

'orebel

sking81

In fairness, this is good news-its bad reporting to suggest this is an ironman suit. A better example would have been the lifters in the Alien franchise. I remember seeing one being demonstrated at a TED show a few years ago which allowed a paralyzed woman to walk around the stage-its a very useful technology, all the better to see funding given to develop it in Ireland.

twokidsmanybruises

In fairness, this is good news-its bad reporting to suggest this is an ironman suit. A better example would have been the lifters in the Alien franchise. I remember seeing one being demonstrated at a TED show a few years ago which allowed a paralyzed woman to walk around the stage-its a very useful technology, all the better to see funding given to develop it in Ireland.
Fair enough and a good point. But I'd still love to have a chance to just play with one. :)

storybud1

Power source will be a major issue and besides it has more to do with poor lifting technique, better spending the money sending the guys to a gym and let pro weight lifters educate them on the power of technique.

such as below,

Hot Female Bodybuilders - Gallery

Janey, there would be no work done,,

Lempo

I remember seeing one being demonstrated at a TED show a few years ago which allowed a paralyzed woman to walk around the stage-its a very useful technology, all the better to see funding given to develop it in Ireland.
It's a good thing we can rebuild them now. We have the technology.

Other than that:

In the movies there's fellow called Stark,
Who makes magic with wires and spark,
But when EU brings you,
A starred armor in blue,
Marvel Comics can blow it for lark

Yes, the door... this way, right?

Last edited:

Nemesiscorporation

Another milestone on the road towards living a comic book fantasy with the news the University of Limerick has been awarded EU science funding in the development of a human exoskeleton, or as I like to call it, an Iron Man suit. :)

UL to design human exoskeleton - RTÉ News

Bloody EU funding our universities. Will the torment from Brussels ever end?

Pics!

This is case a game of playing catch up. At least the EU is adding technical expertise to the island of Ireland, which will be the main benefit of this, due to the lack of high end engineering in Ireland.

http://bleex.me.berkeley.edu/research/exoskeleton/bleex/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking_truck

HAL (robot) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vanderbilt exoskeleton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powered_exoskeleton

There are programs for this in Japan, China, Korea and Germany.

It is good to see that the EU is trying to add some technical ability to the Irish economy, unlike the government which still overfunds banking, finance and law in Irish education.

Religion needs to be stopped being taught in schools and the money for it diverted to mathematics, logic, engineering and scientific subjects.

Also there really needs to be a 5 year moratorium on teaching banking, finance and law in Ireland as there is a glut of them who are the most useless in society.

Another good thing about EU support for universities programs is the small print which will really annoy everyone in a political party in Ireland. Usually it stipulates encouraging local companies to embed themselves in the funded programs to manufacture one of parts for research, which adds a very high level of expertise to local industry giving them the ability to compete in the wider global market, creating more jobs. It also encourages students and empolyes of companies to take part in summer exchange programs, which greatly benefits local industry and universities taking part.

Last edited:

Lempo

Regarding the pictures.

They are pictures of US military and NASA exoskeletons.

They are nothing to do with the project at hand.
What do you expect? There is a major pain in the ass coming up regarding that one.

The Brits have no problem dressing their man in a power suit:

The Canadians? Easy peasy:

But Irish? Sorry, but the Soviets already stole the appropriate scheme ages ago:

Nemesiscorporation

What do you expect? There is a major pain in the ass coming up regarding that one.

The Brits have no problem dressing their man in a power suit:

The Canadians? Easy peasy:

But Irish? Sorry, but the Soviets already stole the appropriate scheme ages ago:

You mean they may be building in butt plugs as standard into the suits for the USA ;)

Seriously, these exoskeletons will be on the battle field in the next ten years. That will probably lead to SWP types protesting against any university involved and destroying any factory making anything for them.

BBC News - Defence company Raytheon to close Derry plant
Raytheon 9 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We need laws in Ireland that would protect jobs from deranged protests such as those that took place in Derry, if we ever manage to get contracts for building anything that can have military uses.

Nemesiscorporation

Goddamnit with you women, always taking our wholesome man entertainment and turning it into that slash fiction of yours.
I couldn't resist it :)

I sometimes go to Cosplay events when I get the chance and the stories that are swapped there amongst the women would reduce any notions of the greatness of a superhero to ashes :evil:

On a serious point, the exoskeleton used in Alien will soon be a reality.