irrespective of Celtic tiger, Young People < 30 doomed

McKenna

im 25, and i i speak first hand of my experiences. let me outline a few obvious real economic gloomy factors thats going to bring this state to its knees very soon.
1. its impossible now to get a mortgage on your own if single.
2. the bank wants to see you with someone. (forcing you into a relationship)
3. 4.5 times your salary wouldnt buy the gates of any decent property.
4. the starting wages of most people out of college is arounf 28 to 32 k, bad money to get on property ladder.
5. low unemployment in this country is a myth, we need high end jobs to pay for mortgages, them jobs are few.
6. out of a class of 25 of electronic eng, only 3 have jobs in that sector, the rest doing micky mouse jobs.
7. there is no more any incentive to go to college because you come out of college and get no job. and certainly no chance to get a house.
8. not only engineering, teaching, accountancy, civil eng, nursing, trades, there are now too many of people around with these quals and few jobs, if there is jobs the wages are bad in comparison to buying houses.
9. young people will be forced to rent, its a viciuous cycle that most cant get out of.
10. how can you save with cost of living anywhere in ireland?
11. over 500K young adults still living with parents, no chance place of ones own.
12. all young people can afford is appartments, complete waste of money, you cant bring a family up in them
13. things are so much harder for young people now than 10 years ago, i wish i was born at the start of the 70'[s
14. too many people going to college having same hopes and ambitions of getting a great job and house.
15. i bought a house < 300K in Leixlip, i was lucky cause bank manager was aunty, now the only way to do it is have contacts.
16. Most jobs out there want aleast 2 to 3 years experience, what do ye do if ye cant even get experience?
17. its looking more than likely alot of multi-nationals (intel) will pull out of ireland in next 5 years, surely thats going to reck the economy??
18. the only people in this country that are doing well is the people that are established prior to or during early years of celtic tiger.
19. the rich get richer, even in the trades end of things, work is drying up, the foreigners are takng all the jobs for less money. ye have to be established now, no point in starting.
20. I feel sorry for people at school or college now, whats the point

And the sad thing is there is nothing the government can do about my points above, its how we as a state have evolved.

Catalpa

I agree the State is f.cuked but it's not true we can't do anything. We have to keep on pressing the political parties to start listening to the Irish people and not the multi nationals about what needs to be done.

Ireland for the Irish!

Ronanr

not only engineering, teaching, accountancy, civil eng, nursing trades, there are now too many of people around with these quals and few jobs...
If there is so few jobs going in nursing nowadays, how is it that there are several thousand non-nationals employed in the profession today (compared to say, 1990)?

Somehow i doubt that all the main Dublin hospitals would bother going to the Phillippines for nurses if they could get them at home

Maximus

Doe's Ireland owe McKenna a living?

Perhaps you’d like to tell us when buying a house on a single salary was easy? It certainly wasn’t in the 80s interest rates were running at 15%.

I’m surprised you’re able to get out of bed in the morning with your attitude! Talk about peddling doom and gloom. I think your problem is you’ve woken up and realized the country isn’t going hand you everything on a silver platter. :roll:

jady88

Re: irrespective of Celtic tiger, Young People < 30 are d

McKenna said:
im 25, and i i speak first hand of my experiences. let me outline a few obvious real economic gloomy factors thats going to bring this state to its knees very soon.
1. its impossible now to get a mortgage on your own if single.
2. the bank wants to see you with someone. (forcing you into a relationship)
3. 4.5 times your salary wouldnt buy the gates of any decent property.
4. the starting wages of most people out of college is arounf 28 to 32 k, bad money to get on property ladder.
5. low unemployment in this country is a myth, we need high end jobs to pay for mortgages, them jobs are few.
6. out of a class of 25 of electronic eng, only 3 have jobs in that sector, the rest doing micky mouse jobs.
7. there is no more any incentive to go to college because you come out of college and get no job. and certainly no chance to get a house.
8. not only engineering, teaching, accountancy, civil eng, nursing, trades, there are now too many of people around with these quals and few jobs, if there is jobs the wages are bad in comparison to buying houses.
9. young people will be forced to rent, its a viciuous cycle that most cant get out of.
10. how can you save with cost of living anywhere in ireland?
11. over 500K young adults still living with parents, no chance place of ones own.
12. all young people can afford is appartments, complete waste of money, you cant bring a family up in them
13. things are so much harder for young people now than 10 years ago, i wish i was born at the start of the 70'[s
14. too many people going to college having same hopes and ambitions of getting a great job and house.
15. i bought a house < 300K in Leixlip, i was lucky cause bank manager was aunty, now the only way to do it is have contacts.
16. Most jobs out there want aleast 2 to 3 years experience, what do ye do if ye cant even get experience?
17. its looking more than likely alot of multi-nationals (intel) will pull out of ireland in next 5 years, surely thats going to reck the economy??
18. the only people in this country that are doing well is the people that are established prior to or during early years of celtic tiger.
19. the rich get richer, even in the trades end of things, work is drying up, the foreigners are takng all the jobs for less money. ye have to be established now, no point in starting.
20. I feel sorry for people at school or college now, whats the point

And the sad thing is there is nothing the government can do about my points above, its how we as a state have evolved.
Really well please leave then.

McKenna

i have have touched a few nerves with people here, but its the facts, there is absloutely no getting away from it, gloomy sounding it may be.

Universal_001

Maximus and Jady get your heads out of the sand and stop living in denial.

AND SHUT UP ABOUT THE 80 ALREADY! EVERYONE

Seos

I can't buy a house right now my life is over...

And house prices will never come down...

I just wish I was older back when people left education they immediately owned a house and got high salaries. Not like now when you have to work for a while and get experience to get a higher salary.

gaelach

No wonder you cant get a "high end" job! :shock:

blindjustice

Re: Doe's Ireland owe McKenna a living?

Maximus said:
I’m surprised you’re able to get out of bed in the morning with your attitude! Talk about peddling doom and gloom. I think your problem is you’ve woken up and realized the country isn’t going hand you everything on a silver platter. :roll:

THIS IS THE KIND OF ATTITUDE THAT DOES NOT HELP

Young people HAVE been let down. No doubt. Watch this space people WILL emigrate again. The economy is FALSE. We have jobs yes. lifetime jobs? NO! what we have is temporary.
When the construction industry collaspes in total. Gone are hundreds of thousands of jobs. Intel and Dell will leave eventually.

We have no infrastructure outside of Dublin and a few less than half finished national routes.

In a time of massive economic growth we have NOT IMPROVED OUR QUALITY OF LIFE.
It has gotten ALOT WORSE. The young have nothing but massive mortgages and commuting.
It is MISERABLE. We were better off leaving for America in the 80s

gaelach

blindjustice said:
Maximus said:

Young people HAVE been let down. No doubt. Watch this space people WILL emigrate again. The economy is FALSE. We have jobs yes. lifetime jobs? NO! what we have is temporary.
When the construction industry collaspes in total. Gone are hundreds of thousands of jobs. Intel and Dell will leave eventually.

We have no infrastructure outside of Dublin and a few less than half finished national routes.

It has gotten ALOT WORSE. The young have nothing but massive mortgages and commuting.
It is MISERABLE. When we left for America in the 80s at least we were better off doin so
Those capital letters have made your points inarguable. :roll:

daithimac

Twitter
@daveyawesome

blindjustice said:
Maximus said:

It is MISERABLE. When we left for America in the 80s at least we were better off doin so
lads I'm after meeting this really great girl but I'm not bothered making much of an effort because I know and I mean know that some day she is going to die

blindjustice

jady88 said:

YOU DISGUST ME.

How dare you say such a thing.
I myself AM leaving. For a better life. I will NOT put myself through a life of getting up at UNGODLY hours to get to Dublin in mad traffic to pay for a crazy mortgage for a small townhouse/apartment with no prospects of a decent family life - forget kids

My father had a very average job. Yet my parents bought a house with a single wage lived a decent life and raised a family - everyone struggled in the 80s but this current boom is a lie.

In the 80s interest rates were high but house prices were low.
now its the opposite.
In the 80s - inflation was high - this also inflated wages making the sum people took out as a mortgage smaller in real terms as the years went by. also interest rates came down.

Today:
High prices
Inflation is going up - but not wage inflation - we have to compete globally in a global economy - if we up our wages then no company will base themselves here i.e NO JOBS.
Interest rates are going up - making the amount people have to pay back in mortgages MORE AND MORE

Seos

blindjustice said:
jady88 said:

YOU DISGUST ME.

How dare you say such a thing.
I myself AM leaving. For a better life. I will NOT put myself through a life of getting up at UNGODLY hours to get to Dublin in mad traffic to pay for a crazy mortgage for a small townhouse/apartment with no prospects of a decent family life - forget kids

My father had a very average job. Yet my parents bought a house with a single wage lived a decent life and raised a family - everyone struggled in the 80s but this current boom is a lie.

In the 80s interest rates were high but house prices were low.
now its the opposite.
In the 80s - inflation was high - this also inflated wages making the sum people took out as a mortgage smaller in real terms as the years went by. also interest rates came down.

Today:
High prices
Inflation is going up - but not wage inflation - we have to compete globally in a global economy - if we up our wages then no company will base themselves here i.e NO JOBS.
Interest rates are going up - making the amount people have to pay back in mortgages MORE AND MORE
good luck so...

McKenna

firstly sorry for my bad english, that i dont give a shite a bout, im an engineer not an arts student...

to Blindjustice, you know exactly what im on about, your spot on in everything you say, far play to you.

to jady88 and others, we obviously have touched a nerve, let us have our say because we may not be spot on but there is thruth in what were saying.

I work for Intel, and i know they will be gone in 5 years, thats 5000 out of work. HP across the raod 2500, they are about to fold up.
sure its massive cost saving were i work, this word is beaten into us.

the massive job losses is simply around the corner. Ireland is too costly to work in now, Aisa is where all the big engineering in.
once one big company leaves, they all do.
As for Whyeth and the likes, they will definately go the same as intel. big companies like these only want profit.
As for the construction, People realsie this, there is only building going on for the sake of it, absolutely no need for the half of it.

Yes Emigration is definately on the way. why bother joining this big massive rat race, that all it is, there is no moral living now in Ireland, its a country now where all that matters is money.
its a sad place to live.
But then you ask, why am i here? i got sucked in by the system. i was a product of the university system, and if you cant beat the system, become it.

McKenna

and also why do ye think families are getting smaller and smaller, its becuase people just cant afford to have more than 2 kids now. 4 kids is now considered a big family.
thats what happened in Japan, they all have small families, its the cost of living over there too.
in order for me to survive now in this country, as a first time buyer etc.... i just cant afford to drink and i dont. god bless Lydl and these places.
Oh and no credit card.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
First of all Mc Kenna, your post is a bit like the curates egg, good in parts.

However, some of the responses to your post have been utterly and totally ignorant.

Its terrible to say, but its indicative that the negative responses to your post have come from FF and PD posters.

Mc Kenna is right in much of what he says. But not all.

Its also worth noting, that the attitude outlined by Mc Kenna may be one of the reasons why there has been a rise in suicide rates in Ireland in the past number of years, despite our relative economic sucess.

(I'm not suggesting for a second that you may be suicidal, and I'm sorry if you feel that comment is offensive, I just believe it is worth making)

Many of your issues Mc Kenna revolve around housing, and I can definitely understand your concern. Only last weekend I delivered a leaflet in Tipperary which contained a small piece about affordable housing. To be honest, it was only put in to fill space, rather than being the dominant message put out.

Its been unbelievable the response I've had to the leaflet, and all to do with housing.

It is tough for young people to get on the housing ladder, and it is the biggest and most important financial issue we face today as a nation in my opinion. Laughing off the concern of a young person expressing this is ignorant.

There is always the danger of multi-nationals pulling out of the country. I personally have experience of this myself. How many others here can say they walked into a canteen full of the joys of life, and walked out again after hearing 1200 people were shortly to be made redundant ?

How many have witnessed grown men and women crying, realising that they may have lost their last chance of decent work in their local area ?

I've also had to leave Ireland to get employment. That was in 1995, only a decade ago. Its bloody hard to sit in a crap hostel in a different continent, and feel like you've wasted your time going to college, and that you've been let down.

So some people should cop themselves on with their responses.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies