• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Is 1 cannabis plant really worth €1000?

Twin Towers

A Garda raid on a cannabis growhouse in Wexford yields 800 plants which we are told is worth €800,000. I know that growing cannabis (once you have the equipment set up) is not much more difficult than growing tulips - so how on earth can one single plant be worth a grand?
And should we not all be at it.

tipp revolution

gonna be a very glum christmas for sum - there might even be some turkey left over....

Levellers

The Guards must be buying their gear from some very expensive dealers!

It's all optics for the media - has the price of drugs rocketed? No, because the state has not affected anything with its 'war on drugs'.

Edo

is one cannabis plant worth a grand?

Well it will be now thanks to the Cops price protection program for the drugs industry

Should have let anybody who wanted to grow - the arse would fall out of what is a fairly limited market anyway - and drive many of growers out of the game anyway

its all for the media and the conservatives to show that we're tough on drugs and the FG grassroots can sleep the sleep of the righteous - so go for the easy pickings ...............any chance of tackling more important matters?

Twin Towers

is one cannabis plant worth a grand?

Well it will be now thanks to the Cops price protection program for the drugs industry

Should have let anybody who wanted to grow - the arse would fall out of what is a fairly limited market anyway - and drive many of growers out of the game anyway
Yes the more they catch, the more valuable are those not caught. I suppose the bulk of Garda intelligence comes from anonymous calls from snitch growers.

'orebel

A Garda raid on a cannabis growhouse in Wexford yields 800 plants which we are told is worth €800,000. I know that growing cannabis (once you have the equipment set up) is not much more difficult than growing tulips - so how on earth can one single plant be worth a grand?
The gardai seem to price cannabis at 10 euros a gram. Possession of more than 12700 euros worth of illicit drugs carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years.
So if one is caught with over 1.27kgs of cannabis one is looking at serious jail time even though it would most likely cost under 3000 euros to purchase it.

potholedogger

What is the fascination the media have in reporting the value of drugs?

Can they not just report the weight of the material recovered and the percentage purity of the illicit drug along with details of the bulking ingredients?

'orebel

Yes the more they catch, the more valuable are those not caught. I suppose the bulk of Garda intelligence comes from anonymous calls from snitch growers.
Not anonymous, but almost all 'intelligence' comes from other sellers who have been caught.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
I have never heard of that figure, around here the Gardai will usually indicate to a Court that a plant has a value of €400. Though not sure the Judges care too much about the value really, I think they all know its a bit of a grey area, they will all have experience and their own ideas of what number is a small or large operation.

pillphil

The valuation the Gardaí have pulled out of their arse this year is €800 a plant, up from €400 12 months ago. That's irrespective of size too. A 2 day old seedling is worth €800 and a 3 month old bush is worth €800.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
The valuation the Gardaí have pulled out of their arse this year is €800 a plant, up from €400 12 months ago. That's irrespective of size too. A 2 day old seedling is worth €800 and a 3 month old bush is worth €800.
Yep, and the problem for any accused is that it is impossible to contradict, or else it looks like they are a little too familiar with values!

But not sure too much hinges on the figures, again the Judges will know that it's an inexact science, most ask about the quality, most defence barristers will point out if they are seedlings.

olli rehn

It is probably the price they are asking for in their own dealings with the public.....

diaspora-mick

Has that alleged price rise been registered in the Consumer Price Index ... ?

Potatoeman

They do the same thing with drug seizures too. They calculate it as the most that can be possibly made from the quantity so it’s the smallest amount at the highest price.

iartaoiseach

It would want to yield a minimum of 100 grammes at €10per gramme which is imo highly unlikely given that these people don't put the TLC in that a hobbyist would. I'd love to see a pic of the plants in question. much of the ones I see on the news are scrawny things. of course if the gardai factor in the silica dust and other crap these gangs put in to up the weight(at great cost to the health of the buyer- but the reason that it's illegal is to protect peoples health right) maybe they could arrive at their street value figure. Or they could be just lying to appear that they are succeeding in their war on the deadly dangerous class A drug known as cannabis.

myksav

Is 1 cannabis plant really worth €1000?
Depends on who is buying and who is selling?
Desperate urban smokers would pay that and more for the stuff, their rural cousins often don't.
I've heard of 'weed' prices going up to €15 per gramme, so-called 'super-whatever' that probably isn't super and I've heard of 'weed' prices down at €6 per gramme for 'homegrown' stuff that apparently could make you float.

As Edo said, letting whoever wanted to grow a few cannabis plants for themself would put those industrial growers out of business fairly quickly.

Cellach

No. You get roughly one ounce of cannabis per plant and ounces retail at between three and five hundred euro.

F

fistikuffs

As mentioned earlier, allowing a personal growing regime would see the arse fall out of this market and a corresponding drop in crime, then they could tackle the serious, debilitating drugs, like alcohol :)

As for the valuation, the Guards always put a 50% premium on their hauls, that's why no one buys off them :)