Is a FG led coalition with FF now on the cards ?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
If Labour up the candidates they are running this could be the result

As I said elsewhere, today's poll would appear likely to produce the following results if it came to pass;

LP 67
FG 54
FF 39
SF 1
GP 0
OTH 5

TV3 Poll – 23/09/10 « Irish Polling Report

If that came to pass, would it be a great surprise if Kenny failed to agree a programme for govt with LP, and formed one with new FF leader Lenihen, who'd continue as Finance Minister (in the national interest, of course...)
Then Labour could gladly let the above happen, and as John McGurk says even if they got slightly less seats than FG, they could still take the visionary step of spurning FG and creating a seismic realignment

Would Labour choose Government, or realignment? : John McGuirk

cYp

White Horse

No.

A Labour/FF coalition supported by public sector unions is much more likely.

dotski_w_

Website
irishpollingreport.wordpress.com

dotski_w_

Website
No.

A Labour/FF coalition supported by public sector unions is much more likely.
I think you're underestimating Kenny's aptitude for survival. And lenny would prefer his chances of running the show with Kenny as Taoiseach over Gilmore.

hiding behind a poster

No. FG have definitively ruled out any form of government with FF.

dotski_w_

Website
But would FG support Gilmore as Taoiseach if Lp had more seats, and a FG/FF coalition was mathematically possible? (I'm not asking if you think this is a likely GE outcome, I'm just asking if you think that FG would support LP in those circumstances)

spidermom

Link??

I know Labour have...although there are many that do not believe it.
But I do not recall an FG statement on this.
Am, of course, open to correction...with a link!!

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Link??

I know Labour have...although there are many that do not believe it.
But I do not recall an FG statement on this.
Am, of course, open to correction...with a link!!
If FG are jumped by Labour ?

After the GE if Labour says we won't go into government with either party unless we get Taoiseach...

Then if the public are favourably disposed in polls to FG/FF doing the right thing in the "national interest"

In that scenario it would be very hard for FG to say "No we want another GE"

cYp

hiding behind a poster

But would FG support Gilmore as Taoiseach if Lp had more seats, and a FG/FF coalition was mathematically possible? (I'm not asking if you think this is a likely GE outcome, I'm just asking if you think that FG would support LP in those circumstances)
Simple answer, I don't know.

White Horse

It would be a disaster to be in such a position. However, supporting Gillmore would be the only credible option.

Rocket Man

In any other country in the world these two would have come together years ago but not here.
There are a number of reasons why it won't happen.
Firstly, any party would be mad to put FF back in power. The electorate would never forgive them.
Secondly, most FFers I know would rather eat their own liver than serve under an FG taoiseach.
Thirdly, both parties need to perpetuate the myth that they offer an alternative to eachother. It is the only way to justify the need for both.

jackryan

No way FF after the election will say we have taken our beating we hand over to the opposition! they will not play second fiddle to anyone in government rather regroup and watch the fun!

wombat

And lenny would prefer his chances of running the show with Kenny as Taoiseach over Gilmore.
His father was a great admirer of the British Labour Party and regarded FF as the labour party of Ireland so I'm not sure of your prediction. The really interesting part would be negotiating a program for govt. If Labour are the largest party, they will want their policies to predominate and remember, they will have a lot of new TD's elected on their policies. If that is what the people want, it is going to be very difficult for many prominant FG TDs to support it as they have an opposite outlook.

spidermom

spidermom

No way FF after the election will say we have taken our beating we hand over to the opposition! they will not play second fiddle to anyone in government rather regroup and watch the fun!
Good point!

oggy

For FF to even contemplate getting into bed with FG would be emotional torture for someone like me

CookieMonster

For FF to even contemplate getting into bed with FG would be emotional torture for someone like me
Ah c'mon YFG aren't that bad.

New Threads

Most Replies