Is a No-Confidence motion in John Gormley justified after by-election debacle?

Congalltee

In my view it is. Particularily he allows Donegal South West occur but votes down Dublin South and Waterford tomorrow.

1. He is the line minister.
2. He voted down a bill to ensure by-elections occur within 6 months
3. He voted down the by-elections.
4. This was implicitly criticised in the High Court today.
5. The cost of defending the case to date.
6. Allowing the High Court intervene in an Oireachtas matter.
7. Allowing an inordinate delay occur.
8. Up until last night it was green party policy to hold the by-elections together. That has now changed.
9. There is the potential for more litigation, including theoretically a claim for compensation for breach of constitutional rights.
10. If forces the pro-hunting FF hypocrites vote confidence in him just before an election.

Congalltee

It appears from the VB show, that only Donegal S/w will be moved tomorrow by the government. The other two will wait until next week at the earliest.

jackryan

I believe that this would be completely wrong thing for opposition 2 do! No confidence motion FF will rally round him, the greens will stick even closer together with them almost feel they owe them one? The opposition need to start honing in on Education motions put gogarty under pressure and start looking at indos weak spots and try to focus on them holding this gov. in place name and shame Lowry, Healy rae, Grealish & even Mattie Mcgrath! and link them to every gov. decision.

Congalltee

I believe that this would be completely wrong thing for opposition 2 do! No confidence motion FF will rally round him, the greens will stick even closer together with them almost feel they owe them one? The opposition need to start honing in on Education motions put gogarty under pressure and start looking at indos weak spots and try to focus on them holding this gov. in place name and shame Lowry, Healy rae, Grealish & even Mattie Mcgrath! and link them to every gov. decision.
But would McGrath, Wallace and other pro-hunting FF backbenchers vote 'full confidence' in him? I agree Gogarty is the weak link in the Greens.

Mondo

Of course there should be a vote of no confidence in him.

He is defending the indefensible.

The Greens are the new PDs: protecting FF and their own seats at all costs.

They don't listen to their own voters and don't respect the countries constitutional rights to democratic representation.

The are power junkies like FF.

If they have 'Important Work' to do that outweighs the need for a democratic government then why don't they declare a state of Martial Law. Then they could all wear green!!

Last edited:

Congalltee

They don't listen to their own voters and don't respect the countries constitutional rights to democratic representation.
This is where a confidence motion is justified. Yesterday's decision was not like any other case where the government lose in the High Court. The Minister for the Environment deliberately breached the Constitutional rights of the people of Donegal for purely political reasons. It is his responsibility. He was found out

tiny tim

In my view it is. Particularily he allows Donegal South West occur but votes down Dublin South and Waterford tomorrow.

1. He is the line minister.
2. He voted down a bill to ensure by-elections occur within 6 months
3. He voted down the by-elections.
4. This was implicitly criticised in the High Court today.
5. The cost of defending the case to date.
6. Allowing the High Court intervene in an Oireachtas matter.
7. Allowing an inordinate delay occur.
8. Up until last night it was green party policy to hold the by-elections together. That has now changed.
9. There is the potential for more litigation, including theoretically a claim for compensation for breach of constitutional rights.
10. If forces the pro-hunting FF hypocrites vote confidence in him just before an election.
This man is so pathetic and such a waste of space that I don't believe he even merits Dail time to have a motion of no confidence in him debated. Forget by elections.... just give all the people a chance to have their say in a general election.

Tomas Mor

He has abdicated. Yesterday in Dail he did not show up to answer questions on this Donegal matter - his area of responsibility. He is not in Dail this morning either. This is the man who stood at Berties's shoulder the morning he announced he was going ! Gormley is just slightly constitutional now, like FF.

FreshStart

This is a rhetorical question, but what on earth happens to people like the Greens once they get a scrap of power? How is it possible to get ethical people to u-turn on policies, values and belief systems to such an extent?

I mean, I remember Gormley championing the anti-flouride movement, chewing St John's Wort in Swan Centre because it was banned on Ireland and so on and so on. Sometimes, I wonder if he was cloned or replaced by a robot or something.

I find the Greens perplexing for all the wrong reasons. Are they merely proving that all parties in coalition with Fianna Fail get snuffed out eventually. Is candid camera around?

Congalltee

So today they have voted down two more by-elections, one of which is 9 months vacant. Did Gormley himself show up to face the music or did he delegate it (abdicate responsibility) to John Curran, again?

Congalltee

He has abdicated. Yesterday in Dail he did not show up to answer questions on this Donegal matter - his area of responsibility. He is not in Dail this morning either. ...FF.
Those 'Where is...?' threads are quiteannoying but we have seen very little of John Gormley since his grand old duke of York impression. Is there a reason why he is in hiding?

CptSternn

Those 'Where is...?' threads are quiteannoying but we have seen very little of John Gormley since his grand old duke of York impression. Is there a reason why he is in hiding?
Well, you could start with the fact the greens broke every campaign promise they made - from saving Tara, the Corrib issue, stopping third level fee hikes, etc. and then go on to the fact he supported FF while they wrecked the economy and turned over the nations sovereignty - all the while denying it was happening.

But other than that, there is no reason he should be hiding. Besides, people lost all respect for him months ago.

Then again, it is hard to avoid being hit by eggs/cheese/snowballs when yer riding around on a push bike.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies