Is America Falling Apart?

Jack Walsh

Trump rode the coat tails of the Obama boom and now the effect is wearing off. His trade war with China certainly isn't helping.

Remember when he promised 4%+ growth? In fact, he couldn't see why it wouldn't go to 5% or even 6%.

2.7% in 2017, 2.9% in 2018 and the future isn't looking good.

So much winning.
In fact he promised 6% when bigging up his tax wheeze.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/06/trump-defies-data-with-6-percent-gdp-growth-forecast.html

Growth is slowing and US will be very lucky to do 2% this year and a very good chance of an actual recession next year.

The stock market doesn't care for moment
The jerk offs on CNBC yesterday were again gloating about the "Goldilocks economy"
Sounds good doesn't it?
It isn't

It is modest growth, no inflation, non existent corporation tax, so historically low interest rates and most of all, no pressure on companies to pass anything on to workers.
You see, Goldilocks for the markets is stagnation and worse for middle class downwards

owedtojoy

If anyone likes a film noir vision of America falling apart try, the latest series of True Detective, which finished up this week.

In the dark vision of the series creator (Nic Pizzzolatto), America is being destroyed from the top with the rich exploiting the poor and vulnerable, destroying lives and families, while decent, flawed men and women use crumbling laws and institutions to clear small spaces of light in the gathering chaos. Series 3 is set in the Ozark region of Arkansas where the detectives are played by Mahershala Ali and Stephen Dorff.

True Detective season 3 review: a return to form - Vox

True Detective - Official Website for the HBO Series

America in the Age of Trump

Paddyc

If anyone likes a film noir vision of America falling apart try, the latest series of True Detective, which finished up this week.

In the dark vision of the series creator (Nic Pizzzolatto), America is being destroyed from the top with the rich exploiting the poor and vulnerable, destroying lives and families, while decent, flawed men and women use crumbling laws and institutions to clear small spaces of light in the gathering chaos. Series 3 is set in the Ozark region of Arkansas where the detectives are played by Mahershala Ali and Stephen Dorff.

Loved the first series but was warned off the second series. Will keep an eye out for this one.

midlander12

Loved the first series but was warned off the second series. Will keep an eye out for this one.
I wouldn't bother if I were you. Just finished watching it last night. It's quite boring to be honest and the plot goes all over the place towards the end. The first series was pretty good I must say.

LISTOWEL MAN

Jeffrey Epstein's attorney is trying to keep info out of the media

Clinton Lolita island etc

Jack O Neill

Meanwhile the Corporate elite and their private army can now kill at will without the bother of having to count those civilians

Trump halts CIA reporting of civilian deaths by drones

Jack Walsh

Meanwhile the Corporate elite and their private army can now kill at will without the bother of having to count those civilians

Trump halts CIA reporting of civilian deaths by drones
Disgusting.
And his cultists have spent 2 years telling us how we were now spared war monger scum like Clinton and the black lad from Kenya.
How many times have we heard the Trump koolaiders tell us about the evil of Obama era drone strikes?
Trump has more than doubled civillian deaths in his two years and now wants to stop all reporting of it as well

And these mental cases endlessly preach about how they want more freedom and not have their lives dictated and ruled by Government, yet are happy to be ruled by POTUS whims and EOs
But look, it is largely only black and muslm kids from sh*thole countries whose deaths are being covered up or hidden, so who gives a damn eh?

Paddyc

I wouldn't bother if I were you. Just finished watching it last night. It's quite boring to be honest and the plot goes all over the place towards the end. The first series was pretty good I must say.
Thanks.

Jack O Neill

Disgusting.
And his cultists have spent 2 years telling us how we were now spared war monger scum like Clinton and the black lad from Kenya.
How many times have we heard the Trump koolaiders tell us about the evil of Obama era drone strikes?
Trump has more than doubled civillian deaths in his two years and now wants to stop all reporting of it as well

And these mental cases endlessly preach about how they want more freedom and not have their lives dictated and ruled by Government, yet are happy to be ruled by POTUS whims and EOs
But look, it is largely only black and muslm kids from sh*thole countries whose deaths are being covered up or hidden, so who gives a damn eh?
To control a population easily you must make them indebted , enslaved and stupid . The elites have succeeded at a level even they could not have imagined

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Always alarmed at the use of the word 'elites' which conveys an impression that there are masterminds at work.

I honestly don't think there are. In fact one uncomfortable conclusion I have come to down the years is that you can get really stupid people in very powerful roles in our world and that is more alarming than the dubious accolade of 'elite'.

Jack O Neill

Always alarmed at the use of the word 'elites' which conveys an impression that there are masterminds at work.

I honestly don't think there are. In fact one uncomfortable conclusion I have come to down the years is that you can get really stupid people in very powerful roles in our world and that is more alarming than the dubious accolade of 'elite'.

Elite in that they are in control , not that they are not stupid , they very clearly are . T

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Well, I have some bad news because no matter how stupid the 'elites' are the world is steadily becoming polarised more and more between obscene wealth for the 1% and the Morlock-bucket for the other 99%, which means that inherited wealth may be supplying the keen intellectual edge in a generation or two.

Now there is a somewhat frightening thought. *Note to self* Definitely buy that lottery ticket for the first Colony ship to anywhere else.

benroe

Well, I have some bad news because no matter how stupid the 'elites' are the world is steadily becoming polarised more and more between obscene wealth for the 1% and the Morlock-bucket for the other 99%, which means that inherited wealth may be supplying the keen intellectual edge in a generation or two.

Now there is a somewhat frightening thought. *Note to self* Definitely buy that lottery ticket for the first Colony ship to anywhere else.
If you earn more that 36,000 a year then you are in the top 1% of earners globally, you are the elite.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Depends how you set your bar. The 36,000 per annum figure is likely to be derived from counting the hundreds of millions below a poverty line in the world that looks far different to the poverty line in Ireland or Europe generally.

If expectations are that people will be very helpful for the next calculation so we can squeeze a hundred million or two more in that bottom end so that there's room to squeeze in a new billionaire or two at the top and keep the average still around 36,500 then I'm sure they'll be obliged.

Personally I'm a little disappointed that after 300 or so years of the white heat of technology plus the energy expended on the trickle down theory of wealth make the putative trickle indeed look like a trickle. You'd imagine we'd have done a little better by now in applying all this heat and light to be able to provide shelter, food for the world.

Mind you that would affect the share prices of many food manufacturers and processors so even if it were possible it probably wouldn't be allowed.

Gorton28

I was watching a Vice documentary the other day about Meth use in Fresno, California. Parts of the city look like a makeshift refugee camp, with tents lining the streets. These kinds of documentaries always reveal the ugly side of America: Rampant inequality and deprivation.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
That'll be some evidence, not for the trickledown theory of economics, but for the shifting of those who hoped once to be regarded as middle-class back down in the Morlock-bucket.

Gorton28

That'll be some evidence, not for the trickledown theory of economics, but for the shifting of those who hoped once to be regarded as middle-class back down in the Morlock-bucket.
Very hard to watch people living in that situation, completely without hope. Puts things into perspective for those of us who are lucky to have a home and some security.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Just think how many people are only six months salary away from hitting the poverty line, eviction for non-payment of rent or mortgage. I think that is a lot of people in the west today.

To fall through the cracks in society is not so long a fall.