Is America Falling Apart?

benroe

Depends how you set your bar. The 36,000 per annum figure is likely to be derived from counting the hundreds of millions below a poverty line in the world that looks far different to the poverty line in Ireland or Europe generally.

If expectations are that people will be very helpful for the next calculation so we can squeeze a hundred million or two more in that bottom end so that there's room to squeeze in a new billionaire or two at the top and keep the average still around 36,500 then I'm sure they'll be obliged.

Personally I'm a little disappointed that after 300 or so years of the white heat of technology plus the energy expended on the trickle down theory of wealth make the putative trickle indeed look like a trickle. You'd imagine we'd have done a little better by now in applying all this heat and light to be able to provide shelter, food for the world.

Mind you that would affect the share prices of many food manufacturers and processors so even if it were possible it probably wouldn't be allowed.
Obviously those half a billion or so on less than a dollar a day will bring down the average.

LISTOWEL MAN

i see the trump hating celebrities got caught again

not sex abuse this time though .. they were buying their kids way into college

Shiloh

I see Donald has called Irish people "brutal enemies". How can we give this man a bowl of shamrock? Oliver Cromwell wasn't as direct

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Don't think the bowl of shamrock is a personal gift to any particular president- as presidents tend to be more temporary than most such traditions.

It might be mildly concerning if Trump had any intellectual clout.

toughbutfair

I see Donald has called Irish people "brutal enemies". How can we give this man a bowl of shamrock? Oliver Cromwell wasn't as direct
The gift is for the president of the USA , a fantastic achievement for a little island of no importance . It isn’t a gift for Donald Trump.

toughbutfair

toughbutfair

Yes it has been going on for decades, and I too expect America to remain an economic powerhouse, which means the chasm between the wealthy and the rest is just going to grow ever wider, because there is no political will to address it.
And the GOP's decades long "tax is a dirty word" election winning strategy is a major contributor.

Look at the countries that are healthiest and live longest, prosperous and economically strong like America, but much more equitable, the primary reason is that they are mature about tax and how tax is properly and sensibly spent.
Mature on tax means their outlook is similar to yours ?

toughbutfair

I'd love if someone could point out a time when the US, or any other country for that matter, was united in love and fraternity!

Gore-Bush, Clinton's era, Reagan-Carter, Nixon, LBJ, Kennedy....
every period was "our nation is at a crossroads" or "It's time to bring people together" or "this is the most important election in recent history" etc etc.

People just forget; that's all.
You are correct. There is no glorious past but it is easy to convince people, of any nationality , that there is. In the same way a politician will get crucified for telling us that we’ve never had it so good (which I pretty much proved in another thread) , people will list out current day problems in the belief this disproves the statement.