• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Is anyone aware of the government's plan

Disillusioned democrat

During the last election we were bombarded with the 5 point plan by FG. A recipe for reform and financial recovery by all accounts.

FG have been the dominant party in government for 20 months now and I would have expected, like any good plan should be, that it would be taken out, a critical "plan vs. actual" assessment conducted and the plan revised in terms of scope or timeline to ensure it's objectives were still being met.

Does anyone know what's happened to the 5 point plan and the assumptions made in it? Now that Euro growth has not and will not materialize, that the "easy" reform of costs seems impossible, etc., shouldn't FG and Labour be having a long hard look at the plan and making the necessary amendments?

Does anyone know what's next on the plan and what's involved?

I know two thing about plans - they only work if people know and understand what's on them and what that means to them AND that when a plan isn't working you need to re-visit it and be open about what's worked and what's not. FG seem to be keeping curious Paddy firmly in the dark about what is and isn't working and what needs to happen next.

shenana

They don't need us, yet we have the legal right to exist what does that mean please, because i am often laughing when i hear that ?

FrankSpeaks

They don't need us, yet we have the legal right to exist what does that mean please, because i am often laughing when i hear that ?
Can you please learn English or else forget about posting on this site?

The reason being is that none of your posts makes sense!

Last edited:

Heligoland

Mitt Romney also has a "five point plan".

It couldn't be that the same election advisers are making this stuff up, could it?

Spanner Island

During the last election we were bombarded with the 5 point plan by FG. A recipe for reform and financial recovery by all accounts.

FG have been the dominant party in government for 20 months now and I would have expected, like any good plan should be, that it would be taken out, a critical "plan vs. actual" assessment conducted and the plan revised in terms of scope or timeline to ensure it's objectives were still being met.

Does anyone know what's happened to the 5 point plan and the assumptions made in it? Now that Euro growth has not and will not materialize, that the "easy" reform of costs seems impossible, etc., shouldn't FG and Labour be having a long hard look at the plan and making the necessary amendments?

I know two thing about plans - they only work if people know and understand what's on them and what that means to them AND that when a plan isn't working you need to re-visit it and be open about what's worked and what's not. FG seem to be keeping curious Paddy firmly in the dark about what is and isn't working and what needs to happen next.
If we stopped paying the parasites they'd soon come up with a plan...

As for the 5 point plan... I've consigned it to the dustbin of my memory...

Any government that either can't or refuses to trigger a perfectly valid clause in an 'agreement' (e.g. the inability to pay clause in the CPA) when it's patently clear to anyone with a brain that the CPA isn't affordable or sustainable - well let's just say they ain't much of a government imo...

lying eyes

The Goverment are also in the dark, they are waiting for the Germans to decide what should be done......

emulator

I'd be pretty certain that 5 Point Plan hit the back of the waste paper basket as soon as the election was over.

They now have the Program for Government from which they are picking minor issues to try to achieve as the big ticket ones like UHI and Reform are quietly dropped , with the hope everyone forgets about them. Unfortunately, you will get the FG trolls on here soon to call us Shinners and point out that we know nothing. It's getting increasingly difficult to have any discussion on this site with them constantly trolling.

I think your right in that, if they had a regular update as to how these issues are progressing, highlighting the issues stopping them from being made a reality.... "it's FF's fault" was never, or is now an reasonable excuse. It would give the public more of an insight into what's actually going on. Unfortunately though, the behaviour of the Government so far has been to dodge and deflect at every turn.

I actually don't think they have the wherewithal to Govern. Given the unprecedented destruction facing the Country, there should be regular State of the Nation address to inform people as to how the Country is doing. The only downside to that is nobody believes them....

patslatt

Much of the FG election platform was opportunistic bull,especially the plan to introduce Dutch style healthcare and purging quangos. Minister Bruton distinguished himself several years ago with an excellent expose of quangos but in office is largely silent on that. To be fair to FG,the electorate swung left in the general election,to Labour,Sinn Fein and independent leftys. That left little scope for FG's platform and made government cutbacks difficult.

Limerick Lad

As you probably remember no party won an overall majority in the 2011 General election and the current FG/Labour coalition government didn't put forward a joint manifesto so the Government are currently implementing their post election negotiated agreement "Towards Recovery: Programme for a National Government 2011 – 2016"

Analyzer

Mitt Romney also has a "five point plan".

It couldn't be that the same election advisers are making this stuff up, could it?
I blame the Irish electorate. They made the concept look like as if gets people elected.

I mean it even got Leo Varadkar and Dicey Reilly elected. No wonder Campaign RMoney were impressed.

emulator

As you probably remember no party won an overall majority in the 2011 General election and the current FG/Labour coalition government didn't put forward a joint manifesto so the Government are currently implementing their post election negotiated agreement "Towards Recovery: Programme for a National Government 2011 – 2016"
How are they doing with that ? It seems they are just surfing through it picking the little things....

Limerick Lad

How are they doing with that? It seems they are just surfing through it picking the little things....
The electorate will get to decide in 2016.

Casabian

I'd be pretty certain that 5 Point Plan hit the back of the waste paper basket as soon as the election was over.

They now have the Program for Government from which they are picking minor issues to try to achieve as the big ticket ones like UHI and Reform are quietly dropped , with the hope everyone forgets about them. Unfortunately, you will get the FG trolls on here soon to call us Shinners and point out that we know nothing. It's getting increasingly difficult to have any discussion on this site with them constantly trolling.

I think your right in that, if they had a regular update as to how these issues are progressing, highlighting the issues stopping them from being made a reality.... "it's FF's fault" was never, or is now an reasonable excuse. It would give the public more of an insight into what's actually going on. Unfortunately though, the behaviour of the Government so far has been to dodge and deflect at every turn.

I actually don't think they have the wherewithal to Govern. Given the unprecedented destruction facing the Country, there should be regular State of the Nation address to inform people as to how the Country is doing. The only downside to that is nobody believes them....
I for one will be happy if they drop UHI - thought it was a daft idea to begin with!:)

MacO'velli

Indeed, the five pint plan has been binned.
The excuses are as follows:
1. The programme for government supersedes it.
2. Labour didnt agree to it .
3. It's all Fianna fails fault, look over there!! Isn't Haughey/ray Burke/Bertie an awfull bollix????
4. Shut up now, an don't be whingin' arnt we doin a great job????
5. Shut up now, or you won't get a feckin PPC!
6. (Ominous voice) how'd you like us to move a family of creamers in next to you? Now feic off!!

Last edited:

statsman

The reduced it to a one point plan. They are now putting all their energies into p1ssing you off. Seems to be going quite well so far.

tirnacrann

The reduced it to a one point plan. They are now putting all their energies into p1ssing you off. Seems to be going quite well so far.
Their plans and your efforts at comedy could be enough push some people over the edge

Disillusioned democrat

Right so....does anyone have a clue how that's tracking against plan and what tweaks have had to be made along the way?

It's just insane that we're supposed to buy into a "programme" that seems very nebulous, where failures like Howlin's €75m savings in allowances can occur with no revision, but we - the tax paying voters - are supposed to continue to churn money into without any sense of progress?

Disillusioned democrat

The electorate will get to decide in 2016.
That's €40bn too late. I have two kids who will be tax payers in 10 years - the sooner this government and/or the next get a handle on the situation the more likely they are to stay in Ireland to work. We seem to forget that this isn't just our lives we're phucking up, it's our kids and their kids too.