Is Brexit uniting the EU?

Marcos the black

Contagion was everyone's fear. Brexit happened, what about Holland? France? There's even a thread here on Irexit.
Given the shambles that the Brexit talks have been to date, and with May saying today in her speech that they will look for a transition period in order to make it work, is it making the rest of the EU members more and more tied to the EU?
Well, all talks of contagion have died down, economic forecasts place EU growth far ahead of the UK's, but more than all that there is the issue of the settlement bill. The UK "offering" (but it will probably be more) €20bn to settle up. I don't seem to recall any mention of this bill by the leave side in the run up to the vote.
What country would risk going down the exit route, esp when you consider Brexit hasn't even happened yet.
Instead of having a contagion effect which is what the likes of Farage wanted, could Brexit actually be the saviour of the EU, showing members the alternative of going it alone?

NMunsterman

Contagion was everyone's fear. Brexit happened, what about Holland? France? There's even a thread here on Irexit.
Given the shambles that the Brexit talks have been to date, and with May saying today in her speech that they will look for a transition period in order to make it work, is it making the rest of the EU members more and more tied to the EU?
Well, all talks of contagion have died down, economic forecasts place EU growth far ahead of the UK's, but more than all that there is the issue of the settlement bill. The UK "offering" (but it will probably be more) €20bn to settle up. I don't seem to recall any mention of this bill by the leave side in the run up to the vote.
What country would risk going down the exit route, esp when you consider Brexit hasn't even happened yet.
Instead of having a contagion effect which is what the likes of Farage wanted, could Brexit actually be the saviour of the EU, showing members the alternative of going it alone?
Absolutely correct - the paradox of Brexit is that it will indeed unify the EU - much to the consternation of the Brexiteers.
Thanks Brexiteers.

Strawberry

Yes, I think so. Brexit and Trump together have demonstrate the dangers of populism.

Wascurito

There still are some pockets of irrational brexhuberance out there but they're fading away as reality dawns.

HenryHorace

Yes, I think so. Brexit and Trump together have demonstrate the dangers of populism.
What dangers. The UK are pressing ahead with Brexit that will make them a stronger country and Trump is proving to be a great success thus far as president despite all the spin.

Mickeymac

Britain leads the way again in doing stuff that should not have been done, that's roughly what Queen Beth said in one of her speeches in Ireland.

NMunsterman

What dangers. The UK are pressing ahead with Brexit that will make them a stronger country and Trump is proving to be a great success thus far as president despite all the spin.
Are you on Moroccon - or - Jamaica spliffs ?

Nitrogen

Definitely.

I think Ireland is much less Eurosceptic than we used to be, I mean who wants to be seen to be in the same camp as BoJo et al?

I presume people here weren't that into the Roman church before Henry Viii did his Brexit, yet afterwards they were willing to die for it.

GDPR

Yes definitely. I saw the Wall come down, right on the spot, by pure accident back in 88.

There is no turning back to some pipe dream of individual nation states in Europe, retired behind tariff walls, in a nightmare of "How Irish/English/French etc are you?"

The big birds of prey will pick off the little ones. They always did.

We are simply the most privileged and best looked after people in the world thanks to the might of the EU. We should be f*ucking grateful.

If we dont like aspects of how it works, that is no reason to piss off. Stay and fight for it. You will never see its like again.

Mickeymac

Definitely.

I think Ireland is much less Eurosceptic than we used to be, I mean who wants to be seen to be in the same camp as BoJo et al?

I presume people here weren't that into the Roman church before Henry Viii did his Brexit, yet afterwards they were willing to die for it.

Thanks for reminding me of Henry V111, I read recently the Brits are , in 2017, resurrecting his laws ffs.

Spirit Of Newgrange

Catalunya will follow the brits out of the EU.

bonkers

I'd love to be on whatever this one is on. Must be really good gear.

Mickeymac

Yes definitely. I saw the Wall come down, right on the spot, by pure accident back in 88.

There is no turning back to some pipe dream of individual nation states in Europe, retired behind tariff walls, in a nightmare of "How Irish/English/French etc are you?"

We are simply the most privileged and best looked after people in the world thanks to the might of the EU. We should be f*ucking grateful.

If we dont like aspects of how it works, that is no reason to piss off. Stay and fight for it. You will never see its like again.

Fair to say. I think, Britain and Ireland went into color tv after they joined the EU:lol:

Casablanca

If you’re referring to The Berlin Wall, it was 1989, no?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies