Is Brexit uniting the EU?

Hillmanhunter1

The real Brexit negotiations are going to start when Merkel has the German elections out of the way, then May and co. will see who's what cards are been dealt. Ironically the Leave side in the pro exit media will paint it as Johnny Foreigner trying to tell Britannia what to do and ironically strengthen the exit sides hand. Looks like a Charge of the Light Brigade fiasco, Dunkirk etc
May's Florence speech means that it will be 2021, at the earliest, when Brexit takes place (if at all).

Anyone who believes that the current UK government will last until then is in cloud cuckoo land. The EU is united in its view that the UK can either have full access and limited autonomy (the Norway model), or full autonomy and limited access (the Canada model).

The UK political class is still in the nonsense "cake and eat it mode", i.e.full access and full autonomy, or at least is incapable of moving publicly from that position.

Only when the UK government is clearly united behind a coherent position will the real Brexit negotiations begin. I can't see that happening under the curent government.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
May's Florence speech means that it will be 2021, at the earliest, when Brexit takes place (if at all).

Anyone who believes that the current UK government will last until then is in cloud cuckoo land. The EU is united in its view that the UK can either have full access and limited autonomy (the Norway model), or full autonomy and limited access (the Canada model).

The UK political class is still in the nonsense "cake and eat it mode", i.e.full access and full autonomy, or at least is incapable of moving publicly from that position.

Only when the UK government is clearly united behind a coherent position will the real Brexit negotiations begin. I can't see that happening under the curent government.
I agree with much of what you say, but I can't see the British tail wagging the EU dog.

Hillmanhunter1

I agree with much of what you say, but I can't see the British tail wagging the EU dog.
I agree with you, perhaps I should have said that I can't see the EU and the European leaders risking any political capital until the UK presents a coherent plan.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
I agree with you, perhaps I should have said that I can't see the EU and the European leaders risking any political capital until the UK presents a coherent plan.
Well it's a guess what will be the outcome at the moment, but listening to the recent few days on Brexit with Verhofstadt speech and I'll concede I'm biased, but it could well be that the North remains in the customs union with agriculture and trade etc been conducted as an all Ireland unit. May been dependent on the DUP wouldn't be prepared to publicly admit that, but as you say anyone who believes that the current UK government will last is in cloud cuckoo land. This would be some dire outcome for the DUP, clearly pushing NI in an all Ireland direction, but as Gerry Adams said on their relationship with the Tory's, it always ends in tears.

GDPR

"€30bn is still a hell of a lot of money, but Nama has done a sterling job in difficult circumstances," he said. Go on ya Paddy, the biggest feckin' mugs on the planet :lol:

The real long term effect of the crash has been the fall of the duopoly of the two cheeks of the same ar$e Fine Fail and Fianna Gael dominance of Irish politics and the rise of the lefty's. In particular Sinn Fein to become the third largest party in the state, not the knock out blow to gombeen British puppet politics, but the enemy are in the gate with the LP pushed aside, it's only a matter of time before SF do to FF what they did to the SDLP in the six counties. A decade or more, but we play the long game ;)
Of course it is :D

In the meantime you'll grow up as your chance for the "revolution" which the Irish people have shown no interest in will have faded away to a distant memory.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Of course it is :D

In the meantime you'll grow up as your chance for the "revolution" which the Irish people have shown no interest in will have faded away to a distant memory.
" SF have peaked " time again :) You lot will NEVER have the dominance you once had, NEVER, your like Glasgow Rangers or something weeping about the good old days :lol: So tell me, what's the plan if the next general election returns a similar result as the last one, will FF continue to support FG as 'opposition' without their snouts in the trough for the third time in a row unprecedented in FF or will their patience snap and demand a few ministerial positions etc as payment for their support of the other cheek of the same ar$e ?

Marcos the black

" SF have peaked " time again :) You lot will NEVER have the dominance you once had, NEVER, your like Glasgow Rangers or something weeping about the good old days :lol: So tell me, what's the plan if the next general election returns a similar result as the last one, will FF continue to support FG as 'opposition' without their snouts in the trough for the third time in a row unprecedented in FF or will their patience snap and demand a few ministerial positions etc as payment for their support of the other cheek of the same ar$e ?
Or will SF refuse to go into govt until they're the largest party in any coalition? i.e, never. What a waste of a party "it is our plan never to get into power or to get any of our policies implemented cos we know that they won't work"

GDPR

Fulfill the SF wet dream that just had to happen last time you mean?

You were wrong then as you're wrong now, but you never learn, you think this is the school yard and the loud mouth bully must win in the end.
It isn't and they won't, this is grown up politics and anything you get from here on in will come from the left and even then you'll only hold it until you first get a sniff of power at which point half of it will disappear again.

Enjoy.

Strawberry

Or will SF refuse to go into govt until they're the largest party in any coalition? i.e, never. What a waste of a party "it is our plan never to get into power or to get any of our policies implemented cos we know that they won't work"
Given the fate of Greens and Labour you can hardly blame SF for being a bit gun shy, (pardon the phrase).

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Fulfill the SF wet dream that just had to happen last time you mean?

You were wrong then as you're wrong now, but you never learn, you think this is the school yard and the loud mouth bully must win in the end.
It isn't and they won't, this is grown up politics and anything you get from here on in will come from the left and even then you'll only hold it until you first get a sniff of power at which point half of it will disappear again.

Enjoy.
H'up FF ...... h'up Dev .... yahoo !!! Jayus, real FF fightin' talk eh :lol: But of course you didn't even try to answer any of my questions about what's the plan if the next general election returns a similar result as the last one. Just goes to show how embittered the FFers are on the opposition as don't the public know FF are entitled to their vote :)

Yahooooo ....... h'up Dev, h'up Bertie........ rise and follow Charlie .. ya boy ya :lol:

Marcos the black

I asked this question about 6 months into talks with the UK.
Now that we're less than 60 days to go I think the answer is a firm yes. I have never seen such a united front by an organization made up of 27 members.
In fact it is the UK who are at odds about how to deal with Brexit, not the EU.
In fact it seems that it has actually cemented membership as being of vital importance to us Irish (88% want to remain part of the EU).. and given the political fallout of Brexit in the UK (how many MP's have had their career ended because of it?) It's impossible to see any politician calling for the same and being taken seriously.
So.. a bit like Sammy and the DUP doing more for an United Ireland than the IRA, Brexit has done more to solidify the EU than perhaps any other event in it's history.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies