• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Is Ciaran Cuffe the only American citizen to hold a position in a European govt?

stripey cat

I know, I know, you're going to point out that Dev was an American. But things are a bit different now than they were in the 1930's.

I wonder about the position Ciaran Cuffe finds himself in.

If there was a dispute between the US and Ireland or between the US and the EU, where would his first loyalty lie?

Should he have to renounce his American citizenship if he wants to govern in Ireland?

What do other European countries do in situations like this?

wexfordman

I thought he was Indianisian ? (crap spelling, but you know what I mean)

Proposition Joe

If he's a US citizen, its strange that he claimed on Vincent Browne to have told white lies in interviews while over on a J1 visa for the summer as a student.

Then again, our Ciaran has a vivid imagination and often suffers from false memory syndrome.

He recently implied he was present at the meeting to found the Green Party. Until this claim was debunked by someone who was actually there ...

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Worst. Thread. Ever. Incoherent, lacking in any factual information, and just inviting stupid comments that will descend into nonsense.

Do I close it now, or act later?

alonso

ah give it a while; It might get funny

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
I can reveal exclusively that his real name is Kirrane C. Soetoro III and that he is a moslem.
Have you ever seen him eating pork? Notice he said he told white lies, not porkies.

Gadfly

[Sarcasm key] Without doubt the seminal question of our time:
was Cuffe born in Kenya or Hawaii? [/Sarcasm key]

wexfordman

[Sarcasm key] Without doubt the seminal question of our time:
was Cuffe born in Kenya or Hawaii? [/Sarcasm key]
Sh!t, thats what I meant!!

Anyway, Cuffe for leader of the free world!!

johnfás

I couldn't care less whether he holds dual citizenship - it is meaningless to me and in no way means he can't do his job.

On a matter of information, I do believe it is the case though. He is also a nephew of Robert Kennedy, I believe.

soubresauts

ah give it a while; It might get funny
It is funny how Cuffe is claiming he was involved in the 1982 Glencree convention that agreed the seven principles of the party. I can confirm that he wasn't there. I doubt that he was even a member of the Ecology Party of Ireland (as it then was). But he managed to base his whole convention speech last weekend on that fantasy!

Sync

Yes he's a US citizen, no it doesn't matter. It amazes me that on a day where the banking plan is being confirmed, Quinn goes to administration and Man Utd are playing Bayern, that THIS is what someone was thinking about.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
How many British citizens are in government? How many Irish citizens are in power in the UK?
Lock all of them up now too

It will create good employment in the prison camps industry

Also all foreigners anywhere ... should be locked up... though "stripey cat" is right... Yanks under the bed are the most dangerous: they should be put into maximum security on an penitentiary in the middle of the ocean

cYp

Sync

And why should our money be used to fecking keep them in some luxurious prison Cyber? We need a more permanent solution. I've heard rumours the Irish football manager isn't even Irish either, he needs to be next on the block.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
And why should our money be used to fecking keep them in some luxurious prison Cyber? We need a more permanent solution. I've heard rumours the Irish football manager isn't even Irish either, he needs to be next on the block.
Another one :eek: :shock:

This is far more serious than I suspected , you are right, the prison camps need to become labour camps... no way we've enough money to run them as straight prisons.

cYp

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Well we inaugurated an immigrant to the presidency. That was very adventurous of us.
I myself was born in the UK and once stood for the county council.
You Irish can't govern yourselves, you see.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Well we inaugurated an immigrant to the presidency. That was very adventurous of us.
I myself was born in the UK and once stood for the county council.
You Irish can't govern yourselves, you see.
Oi you ! :mad:

You're... you're one of them too

I don't think we should allow foreigners like QuizMaster post on p.ie either: we simply can't trust them... time for some bannings methinks.

cYp

soubresauts

Meanwhile Minister Cuffe is helping to ensure that hundreds of foreign troops, combatants in an illegal war, are coming into Shannon Airport every day and treated like royalty. And I have to remind him of the sixth founding principle of the Green Party:
◦ The need for world peace overrides national and commercial interests.
Is the meaning not clear?

Sync

Meanwhile Minister Cuffe is helping to ensure that hundreds of foreign troops, combatants in an illegal war, are coming into Shannon Airport every day and treated like royalty. And I have to remind him of the sixth founding principle of the Green Party:

Is the meaning not clear?
This is totally true. I for one have seen Cuffe patrolling in Shannon with his m16 many a night. In fact if you squint really hard at the Abu Gharib photos you can see the minister in the background.