Is Clare politics damaging Limerick's development?

williewatch

Is Clare politics damaging Limerick's development?

Apparently a Clare FF Cllr is doing his best to whip up opposition to Limerick's Nothern Distributor Road, which is considered to be a vital piece of infrastructure by many in the city.

"
Clare councillor pledges to fight Northern Distributor role

A LOCAL councillor has vowed to fight and to bring his council colleagues on board to stop the preferred route for the Limerick Nothern Distributor Road getting the go-ahead on Monday."

Clare councillor pledges to fight Northern Distributor role | Limerick Post Newspaper

This is also the same councillor who wants UL to be renamed as the University Of Clare. The same councillor briefly attracted media attention a number of years ago when it was revealed that he received €13,000 to distribute Willie O'Dea leaflets.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/munster/106959-cllr-cathal-crowe-bills-us-e13000-2.html

Last edited:

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
...god love them, a thick neck and they never give up.

stakerwallace

Parteen is lovely spot but bounded by the Shannon on one side and tailrace from Ardnacrusha , and indeed headrace also, on the other. Not sure whether it is the best possible route. However, going further out would also be problematic with other small villages I'm sure

Prof Honeydew

Parteen is lovely spot but bounded by the Shannon on one side and tailrace from Ardnacrusha , and indeed headrace also, on the other. Not sure whether it is the best possible route. However, going further out would also be problematic with other small villages I'm sure
It doesn't matter what route is proposed, Crowe will jump on it as a way of getting a cheap headline. The Rat's crutch in Clare can see no other purpose to politics than parroting the victim squawk at every issue relating to Limerick City and its northern suburbs. Same sort of bat$hit mentality you see in Davy Fitz interviews.

Sister Mercedes

Irish public policy is run by poets who hate science. They want to pretend the elevator was never invented.

EDIT: Someone moved the post I was responding to. So my comment looks like random madness.

Last edited:

Clanrickard

Irish public policy is run by poets who hate science. They want to pretend the elevator was never invented.

EDIT: Someone moved the post I was responding to. So my comment looks like random madness.
Don't worry. I read the post, saw it was you and shrugged.

stakerwallace

It doesn't matter what route is proposed, Crowe will jump on it as a way of getting a cheap headline. The Rat's crutch in Clare can see no other purpose to politics than parroting the victim squawk at every issue relating to Limerick City and its northern suburbs. Same sort of bat$hit mentality you see in Davy Fitz interviews.
For once I think Crowe has a genuine issue with the Parteen matter. However, I don't have a solution. The topography which includes the Shannon, the Tailrace, Headrace seems to point toward the Parteen Road as being the most obvious one for this badly needed road around the north of the city.

iomanaiocht

In my opinion and I would love to see Limerick City thriving this is a daft proposal that will meet enormous environmental opposition. IMO Bord Pleanala, will not allow a dual-carriageway be built, dividing the historic village of Parteen and across one of the most important floodplains, of the lowere River Shannon. This floodplain, north of UL is an area of Special Area of Conservation a special and fragile landscape . think of the consequences for flooding, of the City etc if the road is built. . I think that proceeding with plans to develop this route will waste years of valuable time and millions of scarce euro. Not to talk about undermining the finances of tunnel. if they have 120 million euro to spend, then please build the Limerick-Cork road. In this instance Cathal Crowe is not a lone voice and is perfectly correct to oppose a 'Mad' project. Every person with the best interests of Limerick\Clare should be campaigning against this road.

Windowshopper

Hasn't Clare been traditionally against Limerick City's attempts to expand its jurisdiction over the Shannon? I think Hogan's Abolition of Municipal Democracy Act makes things worse whatever about Limerick City encroaching into Clare, Limerick City and County encroaching into Clare would be less welcomed still!

Traditionally many of our counties end at major rivers or at the mouths of said rivers, unfortunately cities and towns also tend to thrive in such areas which means that municipalities will eventually straddle counties. Look at Waterford City which has grown into Kilkenny County or Athlone which is between Westmeath and Roscommon.

iomanaiocht

good point. I think parts of Clare which want to retain their county identity for sport etc should undoubtedly be allowed to do so. However these municipal areas should be part of the administrative district of the city -for planning etc- but still remain County Clare. a simple but effective solution. Regarding the proposed route if a serious waste of money. If you doubt my opinion please look at the photographs of the land in flood on which they propose building a motorway - see Clare Council Flood Impact study . building a FLOODPLAIN in 2015. its delusional.

Prof Honeydew

good point. I think parts of Clare which want to retain their county identity for sport etc should undoubtedly be allowed to do so. However these municipal areas should be part of the administrative district of the city -for planning etc- but still remain County Clare. a simple but effective solution. Regarding the proposed route if a serious waste of money. If you doubt my opinion please look at the photographs of the land in flood on which they propose building a motorway - see Clare Council Flood Impact study . building a FLOODPLAIN in 2015. its delusional.
They built a bridge over the Shannon at Plassey a few years back. None of the dire predictions of the objectors ever materialised (fishing destroyed, wetlands destroyed, floods of biblical proportions, wildlife extinct etc.)

The tunnel was supposed to cause even greater catastrophes, going from one floodplain to another either side of the river. Ten years on, we're still waiting for the Armageddon predicted by the objectors.

My own parish was split in two by the M7. Society hasn't broken down. In fact, nobody really notices it unless they want to use it to avoid the traffic gridlock there used to be before it was built.

As for Parteen and Meelick being forced to play in Limerick, that's a matter for the GAA and, given the organisation it is, no club will ever be forced to play in another county. As things stand, Ballaghadreen (Roscommon) play in Mayo, Moneygall (Offaly) play in Tipp, Carrick & Riverstown (Tipp) play in Offaly and Graiguecullen (Carlow) play in Laois - just to give a few examples.

The hysteria being drummed up by Cllr Crowe isn't based on fact. It's nothing more than small-minded begrudgery to keep his name in the papers. But then again, he's playing to an audience that have made begrudgery into an art form when it comes to matters relating to Limerick.

GDPR

In my opinion and I would love to see Limerick City thriving this is a daft proposal that will meet enormous environmental opposition. IMO Bord Pleanala, will not allow a dual-carriageway be built, dividing the historic village of Parteen and across one of the most important floodplains, of the lowere River Shannon. This floodplain, north of UL is an area of Special Area of Conservation a special and fragile landscape . think of the consequences for flooding, of the City etc if the road is built. . I think that proceeding with plans to develop this route will waste years of valuable time and millions of scarce euro. Not to talk about undermining the finances of tunnel. if they have 120 million euro to spend, then please build the Limerick-Cork road. In this instance Cathal Crowe is not a lone voice and is perfectly correct to oppose a 'Mad' project. Every person with the best interests of Limerick\Clare should be campaigning against this road.
If true re special area of Conservation then the people behind the project need look no further than Galway's failed bypass efforts. The flood plain just compounds the issue.

sakhee

The parts of Clare near Limerick city ought to be merged into Limerick

cYp
Heard again today this is about to happen. Then again we heard that for years.

As for Crowe. I just about remember him being around the place before I moved. He was young then when he was getting into local politics but it was evident that he was another waste of space. I don't believe that anything has happened since then to suggest that was incorrect.

stakerwallace

Heard again today this is about to happen. Then again we heard that for years.

As for Crowe. I just about remember him being around the place before I moved. He was young then when he was getting into local politics but it was evident that he was another waste of space. I don't believe that anything has happened since then to suggest that was incorrect.

Cathal Crowe does a good job aas a local voice in his immediate area- not Dail material but alright as a Cllr despite his party affiliation. I don't agree with him on many issues but at least he has the temerity to offer them.

Prof Honeydew

Conveniently a rare bee has now emerged LOL

‘Rare bee’ species found as Limerick road vote is deferred - Limerick Leader

Now, I do no know that a rare rat often appears in this area but that's usually to canvass with Cathal Crowe
They discovered another hitherto-unclassified life form living along the route. Begrudgerus Clareus has been living among humanity for centuries but has only been listed as a separate species since it got notions above its station around 1995. Experts are divided as to whether it is an invasive mutant or a noxious pest.

Prof Honeydew

Clare County Council has seen the light and ignored the Armageddon warnings of Cllr Crowe as well as species of bee so rare that nobody at all knew it was there.

Clare says yes to controversial Limerick road - Limerick Leader

Now up to Limerick City & county Council to rubber stamp it next week after last week's courageous decision not to make any decision at all. Seeing as most of the route is in Clare, that the council is already going ahead with the Coonagh-Knocklisheen road that will connect the Northern Distributor to the M18 motorway and that only one or two houses come within 500 metres of the route on the Limerick side of the Shannon, the go-ahead should be a formality.

Popular Threads

Most Replies