Is Clare politics damaging Limerick's development?

Prof Honeydew

Clare County Council has seen the light and ignored the Armageddon warnings of Cllr Crowe as well as species of bee so rare that nobody at all knew it was there.

Clare says yes to controversial Limerick road - Limerick Leader

Now up to Limerick City & county Council to rubber stamp it next week after last week's courageous decision not to make any decision at all. Seeing as most of the route is in Clare, that the council is already going ahead with the Coonagh-Knocklisheen road that will connect the Northern Distributor to the M18 motorway and that only one or two houses come within 500 metres of the route on the Limerick side of the Shannon, the go-ahead should be a formality.
I take back everything I've said about Clare. What an extraordinarily gutless, stupid, irresponsible, cowardly decision by Limerick City and County Council.

Councillors block Limerick route of distributor road - Limerick Leader

This is parish pump sleeveenery at its very worst and an indictment of why Limerick has lagged behind the rest of the country over the past three decades. The amalgamation of the city and the county appears to have produced a bastardised monstrosity completely incapable of lifting their vision above cowering to the last crank to give out to them.

Opposition to the road was confined to a handful of residents in Mountshannon who made a big deal of it to Councillor Marion Hurley (FG) and Councillor Shane Clifford (FF). Not to be outflanked in their terror at losing a single vote to their party colleagues, Clllrs Michael Sheehan (FG), Jerry O'Dea (FF) and Kieran O'Hanlon (FF) found themselves similarly outraged about a bee they never even knew existed or a floodplain that they were completely unaware of or whatever and the Limerick City East Ward had a No majority. And showing the same political maturity as their colleagues, Cllrs Elena Secas (Lab), Seighin O Ceallaigh (SF) and Paul Keller (Angry Plumbers) found an ideological argument to jump on the bandwagon.

Not one of the other FF, FG, SF and Angry Plumbers councillors had the wit to examine the proposal themselves instead of blindly following their colleagues in City East. The only exception was Labour where relations between its three members are now so poisonous that they'd do anything to shaft each other. In fact, it appears that it was just the Council's only independent member, John Gilligan, who made up his own mind on the roads merits. It says a lot about the other thirty-nine talking heads.

The Northern Distributor Road is mostly in County Clare and its other component,the Coonagh-Knocklisheen road, has already been approved by Limerick City and County Council. It is intended to deal with a number of growing traffic issues that seriously impinge on Limerick's potential for economic growth including:
- congestion on the Dublin Road out to the Annacotty M7 Junction
- access to the University from Clare and Limerick City's Northside
- access from Corbally, Parteen, Clonlara and Shannon Banks to the national roads network
- a road across the headrace/tailrace that can handle two-lane traffic; existing humpback bridges at O'Brien's Bridge, Clonlara, Blackwater and Parteen were built for horses and carts ninety years ago

The world didn't end when the Shannon Tunnel and the University Bridge were opened in recent years. Clare County Councillors realised that and figured out that the case for the road was a no-brainer. They looked at the big picture and ignored the emotional blackmail of Cllr Cathal Crowe and a few shrillies who showed up in Ennis.

Fair dues to them. They showed up the utter incompetence of a bunch of gutless clowns who are inflicting more economic damage on Limerick than the gangs or the closure of Dell ever done. Maybe they all secretly crave to reach Willie O'Dea's level of political irrelevance.

Last edited:

williewatch

I take back everything I've said about Clare. What an extraordinarily gutless, stupid, irresponsible, cowardly decision by Limerick City and County Council.

This is parish pump sleeveenery at its very worst and an indictment of why Limerick has lagged behind the rest of the country over the past three decades. The amalgamation of the city and the county appears to have produced a bastardised monstrosity completely incapable of lifting their vision above cowering to the last crank to give out to them.

Opposition to the road was confined to a handful of residents in Mountshannon who made a big deal of it to Councillor Marion Hurley (FG) and Councillor Shane Clifford (FF). Not to be outflanked in their terror at losing a single vote to their party colleagues, Clllrs Michael Sheehan (FG), Jerry O'Dea (FF) and Kieran O'Hanlon (FF) found themselves similarly outraged about a bee they never even knew existed or a floodplain that they were completely unaware of or whatever and the Limerick City East Ward had a No majority. And showing the same political maturity as their colleagues, Cllrs Elena Secas (Lab), Seighin O Ceallaigh (SF) and Paul Keller (Angry Plumbers) found an ideological argument to jump on the bandwagon.

Not one of the other FF, FG, SF and Angry Plumbers councillors had the wit to examine the proposal themselves instead of blindly following their colleagues in City East. The only exception was Labour where relations between its three members are now so poisonous that they'd do anything to shaft each other. In fact, it appears that it was just the Council's only independent member, John Gilligan, who made up his own mind on the roads merits. It says a lot about the other thirty-nine talking heads.

The Northern Distributor Road is mostly in County Clare and its other component,the Coonagh-Knocklisheen road, has already been approved by Limerick City and County Council. It is intended to deal with a number of growing traffic issues that seriously impinge on Limerick's potential for economic growth including:
- access from Corbally, Parteen, Clonlara and Shannon Banks to the national roads network
- a road across the headrace/tailrace that can handle two-lane traffic; existing humpback bridges at O'Brien's Bridge, Clonlara, Blackwater and Parteen were built for horses and carts ninety years ago

The world didn't end when the Shannon Tunnel and the University Bridge were opened in recent years. Clare County Councillors realised that and figured out that the case for the road was a no-brainer. They looked at the big picture and ignored the emotional blackmail of Cllr Cathal Crowe and a few shrillies who showed up in Ennis.

Fair dues to them. They showed up the utter incompetence of a bunch of gutless clowns who are inflicting more economic damage on Limerick than the gangs or the closure of Dell ever done. Maybe they all secretly crave to reach Willie O'Dea's level of political irrelevance.
I agree 100%. I'm absolutely disgusted at Limerick City Council.

ymmek

Ha Ha Ha,i love it when you are angry.How did Maurice vote as it appears you did not give him a mention.

Is he a "gutless clown" also.

Prof Honeydew

Ha Ha Ha,i love it when you are angry.How did Maurice vote as it appears you did not give him a mention.

Is he a "gutless clown" also.
In this regard, I think he is. Maybe Frankie Goes To Hollywood and Joe Ninety deserve the benefit of the doubt but John Gilligan appears to be the only member of the entire council capable of seeing the big picture for the benefit of all the people of Limerick instead of caving in to a handful of objectors.

williewatch

In this regard, I think he is. Maybe Frankie Goes To Hollywood and Joe Ninety deserve the benefit of the doubt but John Gilligan appears to be the only member of the entire council capable of seeing the big picture for the benefit of all the people of Limerick instead of caving in to a handful of objectors.
I must confess that I am absolutely amazed that this road has been shot down by Limerick City Council. Between this and the gasifiction business it liiks like there is creeping political paralysis at the heart of Limerick local government.

Prof Honeydew

Looks like the Council officials and the Councillors are on a collision course: Some councillors are getting most irate at the suggestion that they act responsibly.

€150m Northern Distributor Road to stay firmly on agenda - Limerick Leader

The agenda appears to be driven by Fine Gael. I'm just wondering whether the following excerpt from the Leader story linked above is the main reason:

While officials and consultants were at pains to stress this, many councillors also had on their minds the concerns of residents, the devaluing of land, and a flood risk to land already once devastated when the Shannon burst its banks in 2009.
The proposed route affects only a handful of houses. This $hite about flood risk has been disproved by other Shannon crossings built over the last thirty years not having any noticeable effect on water levels. That leaves, as far as I can make out, the concerns of one or two landowners about whether they can make a killing out of rezoning their properties for development.

Jeez, if that's what it's all about, Limerick might as well rename itself Ballymagash.

Prof Honeydew

The same councillors who are predicting the Apocalypse should the Northern Distributor Road raise the level of the Shannon by a millimetre are now up in arms against any proposal to extract water from Lough Derg that might drop the level of the Shannon by a millimetre.

Shannon water extraction a concern for Limerick councillors - Limerick Leader

Jeez, you couldn't make up this nutjob council if you tried. What has Limerick done to deserve them?

flavirostris

Isn't this the Willie O'Dea acolyte who was captured on CCTV taking down a notice in a shop window which contained a newspaper article that portrayed him in an unfavourable light.

iomanaiocht

different opinion

I am intrigued with the favourable opinions on this site re this road. my opinion as a person very interested in the future of Limerick City and as one who has fully researched it, is that this project would be a huge gain for Clare and a major loss for Limerick. my opinion is similar to that of a letter writer in today's Leader, part of whose letter I have copied. Imo this project is promoted by Clare council to get a huge volume of rates, thorough piggybacking on UL. what part of the message am I missing? Re Corbally traffic users; the alternative route will take them almost to the Dublin road to Lisnagry, rather than the vity centre. Does that make sense. Imo the limerick council had no choice but to vote against this road. if this level of money is available, develop the Opera Centre, the Adare bypass, or the Limerick-Cork motoray.

'The cost of the Limerick Distributor of motorway, estimated at over 150,000,000 euro, will be paid for by the Irish taxpayer. If built this motorway will open up, a large area of South East Clare for development. UL plans to have more than half of the college and an adjacent technology park, located in Clare by 2020. It is obvious why Clare councillors overcame their initial opposition to the motorway after receiving private briefings from council officials. Undoubtedly, the Clare councillors were advised in confidence that this project will provide a potential windfall for Clare at the expense of Limerick. When this plan becomes a reality, Clare County Council will receive millions of euro extra in rates. Clare will receive this enormous amount of money, without having to provide any expensive services, such as the medical and social services especially housing, that Limerick city has to provide for its citizens. There is absolutely, no dividend in this plan for Limerick. '

Prof Honeydew

I am intrigued with the favourable opinions on this site re this road. my opinion as a person very interested in the future of Limerick City and as one who has fully researched it, is that this project would be a huge gain for Clare and a major loss for Limerick. my opinion is similar to that of a letter writer in today's Leader, part of whose letter I have copied. Imo this project is promoted by Clare council to get a huge volume of rates, thorough piggybacking on UL. what part of the message am I missing? Re Corbally traffic users; the alternative route will take them almost to the Dublin road to Lisnagry, rather than the vity centre. Does that make sense. Imo the limerick council had no choice but to vote against this road. if this level of money is available, develop the Opera Centre, the Adare bypass, or the Limerick-Cork motoray.

'The cost of the Limerick Distributor of motorway, estimated at over 150,000,000 euro, will be paid for by the Irish taxpayer. If built this motorway will open up, a large area of South East Clare for development. UL plans to have more than half of the college and an adjacent technology park, located in Clare by 2020. It is obvious why Clare councillors overcame their initial opposition to the motorway after receiving private briefings from council officials. Undoubtedly, the Clare councillors were advised in confidence that this project will provide a potential windfall for Clare at the expense of Limerick. When this plan becomes a reality, Clare County Council will receive millions of euro extra in rates. Clare will receive this enormous amount of money, without having to provide any expensive services, such as the medical and social services especially housing, that Limerick city has to provide for its citizens. There is absolutely, no dividend in this plan for Limerick. '
Limerick's main traffic bottleneck is now the Dublin Road, particularly between the Kilmurry roundabout and the M7 Mackey Roundabout. With the growth of the University, future housing development likely to be greatest in the Monaleen/Annacotty/Lisnagry area and increased employment around the University and in the Castletroy and Annacotty Business Parks, it's only going to get worse unless some traffic is diverted from a three-mile corridor that's also taking a load of through traffic that has to go into the City centre before it can cross the Shannon. To say that the City is going to suffer if the Distributor is built is like saying that the Shannon Bridge, the Tunnel and even the bridge over the Mulcair in Annacotty should never have been built. Then again, maybe you weren't driving during the 1970s and 1980s when the Ennis Road used regularly tail back beyond Setright's on a Friday evening or when traffic ground to a halt when lorries on the N7 slowed to a crawl going over Annacotty Village's humpback bridge.

As far as the University is concerned, there isn't too much space left for development on Limerick side of the campus but the Clare side is mostly surrounded by open fields. Whether the Distributor is built or not, most future expansion is going to happen north of the Shannon anyway.

And if Southeast Clare benefits from direct access to the motorway network, then the best of luck to them. Would it be possible that the Distributor might benefit both Limerick and Clare? Part of the reason why the Midwest has lagged behind the other regions in the country over the last twenty-five years is due to paranoid small-mindedness between Limerick and Clare where anything that benefited one could only be at the expense of the other. Now the main source of the begrudgery seems to be coming from Limerick.

Why, God only knows? Will we ever learn?

Ren84

This post so typifies the level of parochial gombeen whinging that infests Ireland. "If we don't stand to directly benefit then no one will!" :roll:

iomanaiocht

Ren84, before you throw unnecessary and insulting phrases like 'parochial gombeen whinging' about maybe you could consider the issue. you are presuming that I am writing as a limerick person whereas in fact I am a Clare person, with a huge interest in the fortunes of Limerick City especially the Centre. IMO the development of Limerick city was hindered for decades by having two competing authorities, Limerick City and Council. the result was the unfortunate peripheral development which badly affected business in the city centre -that to me was 'gombeen' politics. successive Fianna fail lead governments failed to give the city the boundary extension it so badly need. I think that allowing my own county Clare, to develop alternative business centres adjacent to the city would be repeating previous mistakes and would be hugely detrimental to the city, on whose progress the entire Mid-west is dependent. It pains me to say it; but I think if planners want the road to proceed with the attendant development then they should demand the affected area be zoned city accordingly - whilst allowing current county boundaries to stand for sporting purposes etc. I have the same opinion re Waterford\Kilkennny. I consider this to be a matter of good planning.

Prof Honeydew

I wonder were any of those councillors who blocked the Northern Distributor watching the traffic on the Dublin Road this evening. With the students back, there was gridlock all the way out to the M7 roundabout from four o'clock to half past six.

clancy_stranded

It's time to amalgamate Limerick and Clare Councils for administrative / local government purposes. The GAA can continue to adhere to the county structure if they wish.

D

Deleted member 17573

It's time to amalgamate Limerick and Clare Councils for administrative / local government purposes. The GAA can continue to adhere to the county structure if they wish.
Still trying to get your hands on the airport, I see! Limerick International Airport? Nah, nobody would go there. Welcome to P.ie:D

stakerwallace

Still trying to get your hands on the airport, I see! Limerick International Airport? Nah, nobody would go there. Welcome to P.ie:D
We'll let you have Clare into the University title University of Clare and Limerick or and you'll let us into the airport title? Get back up the stairs Cllr Crowe, I was only joking.

clancy_stranded

Thanks!!

While you might be joking, this split between Limerick and Clare is really damaging the prospects of both.

Limerick City is on the border of counties Limerick and Clare. It's as much Clare's city as it is Limerick's. We'd all be a lot better off if we got over the parochial ************************e.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies