• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Is Eamonn Gilmore helping the REAL vulnerable in Ireland to-day?

elliebee

In my opinion NO.

There is a Labour Councillor in my town whom I admire and was definitely going to vote for her in the next local elections. However, after listening to media interviews of Eamonn Gilmore and other members of the Labour party in recent months there's not a snowballs chance in hell of me giving her a vote now.

As far as I can see the Labour party only cares for local authority tenants and the public sector workers of which I am neither.

There are 1,000's of people in Ireland to-day who are at the end of their tether due to financial pressure - are they not vulnerable?

I have two children, my advice to them will be to seek LA housing and vote Labour - then they'll be sorted for life.

ShoutingIsLeadership

I am not a defender of Labour, but I have to say, the shrills coming today from people who would never in a month of Sundays be Labour party voters, is incredible.

For example, Norah Casey was borderline verbally abusive to Brendan Howlin on the air this morning, in relation to cuts to services.

News flash: FG is the largest party in the State. FG voters knowingly voted for a party that preferred to cut services rather than raise taxes.

It seems to me that in this country, people are unable to join the dots between voting for a party that promises to make someone else pay for this mess (through cuts in services), and the reality that when those cuts come, they hit the vulnerable hardest.

If you aren't happy with Labour, then you actually have more reason to vote for them this morning, so that they can have a larger voice next time around.

elliebee

I am not a defender of Labour, but I have to say, the shrills coming today from people who would never in a month of Sundays be Labour party voters, is incredible.

For example, Norah Casey was borderline verbally abusive to Brendan Howlin on the air this morning, in relation to cuts to services.

News flash: FG is the largest party in the State. FG voters knowingly voted for a party that preferred to cut services rather than raise taxes.

It seems to me that in this country, people are unable to join the dots between voting for a party that promises to make someone else pay for this mess (through cuts in services), and the reality that when those cuts come, they hit the vulnerable hardest.

If you aren't happy with Labour, then you actually have more reason to vote for them this morning, so that they can have a larger voice next time around.
That's what I thought until recently but now I've discovered they don't even know that low paid workers even exist. I'm not in one of their "vulnerable" groups!!

realistic1

Labour should not have entered Government with a right wing party, simple as! It is the Labour leadership that wanted power so as to avail of the spoils. It is the Labour leadership that do not care about the Irish people or the Labour party.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
He's helping James Reilly, a vulnerable man man who is struggling with massive personal debt.

ShoutingIsLeadership

That's what I thought until recently but now I've discovered they don't even know that low paid workers even exist. I'm not in one of their "vulnerable" groups!!
FG was voted in power with close to a majority, so it gets to call the shots.

elliebee

FG was voted in power with close to a majority, so it gets to call the shots.
I appreciate that but why can he not at least stop saying they have succeeded in helping the "vulnerable". If he'd at least admit to the fact that their bargaining power could only help a small minority of citizens I'd swallow it but the country is chuck full of "vulnerable" that he or his party completely fail to acknowledge.

Number2

Labour are protecting the CPA, not the vunerable.

Maintaining the CPA is the sweetener that FG have given to Labour, because if they lose the public servants Labour are finished.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Labour are protecting the CPA, not the vunerable.

Maintaining the CPA is the sweetener that FG have given to Labour, because if they lose the public servants Labour are finished.
FG and Labour were both elected on platforms which included adhering to the CPA.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Labour should not have entered Government with a right wing party, simple as! It is the Labour leadership that wanted power so as to avail of the spoils. It is the Labour leadership that do not care about the Irish people or the Labour party.
Imo, they effectively had no choice.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Imo, they effectively had no choice.
I think it is idle nonsense to suggest that Labour could have done anything but go into Government.

But I'm sure their performance since has disappointed many of their supporters. In fairness to Labour, this is perhaps simply the way of politics.

G

Gimpanzee

The bit you are missing is the protection by labour of some sectors to the exclusion of others. The service and allowance cuts are to a large extent down to the refusal to cut payroll costs - keep the unions happy first and foremost. There is an inherent cynicism in the way they have approached the deficit reduction.

ROS123

I am not a fan of this Budget, far from it, but what would Fine Gael have done without Labour having a say.

HOW MUCH WORSE MIGHT IT HAVE BEEN ?

Actually that might be a good heading for a new thread, how much worse might it have been without Labours influence ?

G

Gimpanzee

I think it is idle nonsense to suggest that Labour could have done anything but go into Government.

But I'm sure their performance since has disappointed many of their supporters. In fairness to Labour, this is perhaps simply the way of politics.
Yes they had to go into government, but they set themselves up for trouble with a stupid populist election campaign, planned off the back of a few dodgy polls, and have been cowardly in office. Individual ministers have done fine, but the wider party - leadership and TD's have been totally fixated with maintaining the status quo.

G

Gimpanzee

I am not a fan of this Budget, far from it, but what would Fine Gael have done without Labour having a say.

HOW MUCH WORSE MIGHT IT HAVE BEEN ?
Yeah, they probably would have cut social welfare and not cut child benefit. Oh, and a handful of wealthy home owners would pay 0.02% less tax on the value of their house minus one million squids. Dreadful, eh?

joemac67

Of course he ain't, 1400 hundred euro they Ruby's have stolen from me, other people in the estate are feckin angry robbed us all blind. We ready to fight.
We ready to fight on the keyboard only my friend , what a bunch of wimps . The only people this government is afraid of are the pensioners and the farmers both sectors who have hardly been touched .

G

Gimpanzee

Do you think that would have been the only difference ?
Effectively, yes. Because FG, oddly enough, are reluctant to cut any more than is necessary at budget time. Apparently it is some weird political instinct thing. Labour are protecting public service pay and welfare. Everything else, and everyone else is fair game.

ShoutingIsLeadership

The bit you are missing is the protection by labour of some sectors to the exclusion of others. The service and allowance cuts are to a large extent down to the refusal to cut payroll costs - keep the unions happy first and foremost. There is an inherent cynicism in the way they have approached the deficit reduction.
CPA protects payroll costs.

Taxation measures could have been used to cut payroll costs (for example the proposed USC increase for over 100k), but FG will not budge on tax increases.