Is Edmund Burke's definition of representative government still valid?

Stentor

Johnson's rise to power is stunning all things considered. Find this chap rather distasteful but his essay on Johnson is worth reading...

Johnson was a notorious scumbag from his earliest school days.

Last edited:

Stentor

Continuing with technological innovation...

High resolution digital camera linked to crafty psyops software will tell people who's telling the truth and who is not with 99% accuracy. Like to see Bartholomew in front of one. He'd have to be tied down I'd say. Ditto the Tipp carpet bagger.

Bring it on.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
It has always been a curiosity to me that in order to be a technician anywhere near a control panel on a nuclear weapons system you have to undergo psychological testing to make sure you aren't inordinately attracted to big red buttons.

But the unnerving part is that in order to become the person who gives the order to launch down the 'phone you only have to be good at being elected.

Something wrong somewhere.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
There is a very good case for assessing which jobs in state are the most potentially damaging seats of power likely to attract the interest of a passing megalomaniac as happened recently in the US.

An interesting hairdo and a circus of TV appearances later and you have a complete nutjob with almost untrammelled executive power in the last seat you want them to be in. It ain't safe, I tells ya. And I offer Tony Blair as a contemporary example of someone who should have been assessed for high office.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies