Is Enda kenny ready to govern? (genuine question)

Congalltee

He has been 35 years in the waiting, but he has less than 3.5 months to go: is he ready to govern?

1) Does he have a good idea who will be his finance minister or will he be prepared to cede it to Labour?
2) If Burton gets finance, what will he do with Noonan and Bruton: who gets Enterprise and Employment?
3) Will the Junior ministers be appointed on merit or on geography and who backed whom in the leadership?
4) Has his core team of 7/8 Cabinet Ministers been prep'ed for dealing with the public servants?
5) Does he have a media to move into Government Information Services straight away?
6) What reforms, if any, will be introduced immediately? (eg what does he do with the Senators elected 60 days after the G.E.).
7) Does he know all the incoming new deputies (consider Lynch's alienation from backbenchers in 1979)?
8) How will smooth relations with Labour given that the FF's only card is to split FG and Labour?
9) What does he do with the One Party State apparatus left by FF ie the quangoes, RTE, senior civil servants, gardai etc.
10) Does he have a plan for his first 100 days*?

Peter Mandelson's autobiography discloses that Blair did not want to repeat the error of Clinton in 1992 - finding himself in power but unaware of how to deal with it. On page 199, he outlines how Jonathon Powell (as Chief of Staff) focused attention on transition to government by deciding on the structure of No. 10 and the cabinet office, training the front bench, establishing trust with the civil service and preparing policy for government.

FG have yet to complete all of their selection conventions for the election, but their policies are in well advanced and unusualy we have been given advance notice of when the election will be held. Enda Kenny should be teh most prepared leader in waiting - but is he?

*in fairness this is more a media obsession than anything else.

ellie08

Enda's no fool. Unlike the present oik in power, Enda will have no problem bringing in people with expertise. He has the skills that are required to be a good Taoiseach. He also does not have to worry about covering tracks regarding Anglo and the like. The sooner he's in the better.

Holy Cow

Simple answer to this, NO.

charley

Any party leader that allowed Michael Noonan to stand for them should be ashamed . Dumping the evil creature would have been the best thing for his party and the country but no, when the ginger prat came under pressure he went running for the coldblooded yellowtoothed ghoul. A vote for Fine Gael is a vote for even more heartless cuts from a politician who is dripping pure evil.

Casillas

I don't think so, he's an ineffective communicator in my opinion and yes that does matter.

eoghanacht

Enda's just another dáil lifer with an inherited seat he's as much a part of the problem as FF.

We need a clean sweep of our whole political class changing the cast of characters won't do us any favours in the long run.

ballot stuffer

Peter Mandelson's autobiography discloses that Blair did not want to repeat the error of Clinton in 1992 - finding himself in power but unaware of how to deal with it. On page 199, he outlines how Jonathon Powell (as Chief of Staff) focused attention on transition to government by deciding on the structure of No. 10 and the cabinet office, training the front bench, establishing trust with the civil service and preparing policy for government.
I thought it was common knowledge Blair's first months in office were totally disorganised and they were clueless about what to do when they were finally in power.

It's a characteristic of parliamentary democracies unfortunately. Especially when the opposition were out of power for so long like UK new Labour were and like Fine Gael have been.

constitutionus

of course he is.

doesnt take much ability to do what the IMF tell you to do.

and thats where we are now, regardless as to who's taoiseach.

Cael

He has been 35 years in the waiting, but he has less than 3.5 months to go: is he ready to govern?
The question should be: Are we ready to allow ourselves to be "governed" by this man? And, if so, why?

slippy wicket

Any party leader that allowed Michael Noonan to stand for them should be ashamed . Dumping the evil creature would have been the best thing for his party and the country but no, when the ginger prat came under pressure he went running for the coldblooded yellowtoothed ghoul. A vote for Fine Gael is a vote for even more heartless cuts from a politician who is dripping pure evil.
Slightly bitter are we?

Unless i am mistaken, the man has said that if he knew what he knows now back then things would have been done differently.

It seems to me that whenever Noonans name is mentioned you have a stock response raking up the past.

anfieldabff

Slightly bitter are we?

Unless i am mistaken, the man has said that if he knew what he knows now back then things would have been done differently.

It seems to me that whenever Noonans name is mentioned you have a stock response raking up the past.
Hear, hear, the decissions on the Hep C victims were taken by faceless civil servants and legal eagles. Noonan is one of the finest politicians we have and I am sure given his own family illness problems he will make a very valuable cabinet member with a huge degree of empathy.
He is measured in his responses and has great experience, I think FG were stupid to dump him as party leader.
I also think Kenny will make a very good Taoiseach.

slippy wicket

Hear, hear, the decissions on the Hep C victims were taken by faceless civil servants and legal eagles. Noonan is one of the finest politicians we have and I am sure given his own family illness problems he will make a very valuable cabinet member with a huge degree of empathy.
He is measured in his responses and has great experience, I think FG were stupid to dump him as party leader.
+100

The permanent government really showed their best side on that issue.

Casillas

He's 66 or 67, if there's an election tomorrow and Fine Gael won, with Noonan as finance minister, then he's be in his 70's by the time he'd leave office. Why can't we have younger people. Seriously I want the next finance minister to work ten hour days, six days a week.

neiphin

troll tread

slippy wicket

I agree - but I cannot see you making a similar statement about a FF minister.
I would hope that i could, but after a short period of time it wont be an issue.
;)

Echolalia

I agree - but I cannot see you making a similar statement about a FF minister.
And Micheal Woods' decision to let the Catholic Church off with only a €50 million liability for the abuse scandal wasn't made without Civil Service input?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies