Is Enda Kenny the same as Ian Paisley?

Northtipp

When the DUP ran their last election with Paisley at the helm they refused despite all calls to allow him to talk to the media. They realised they needed him as leader at that point in time to get the vote but they risked alienating that exact same vote if they allowed him to be heard. Soon as they got into power they shafted him and got a new leader. Is that what is going on here. Will they protect Kenny from the media, get in to power and then shaft the leader?

ThePeaceKeeper

Website
www.chris-barrett.org
Twitter
cbairead
Couldn't you have said this in your other thread which is, broadly, dealing with the same discussion? I don't see the need for another thread to be perfectly honest.

LeDroit

When the DUP ran their last election with Paisley at the helm they refused despite all calls to allow him to talk to the media. They realised they needed him as leader at that point in time to get the vote but they risked alienating that exact same vote if they allowed him to be heard. Soon as they got into power they shafted him and got a new leader. Is that what is going on here. Will they protect Kenny from the media, get in to power and then shaft the leader?
Even the most ardent fan of Kenny would concede that he will not lead FG into the GE after this one. Therefore, FG will need to change leader before then. Would they do it on the eve of GE 2016? I don't think so. They'll want their new man/woman to be Taoiseach for a while to maintain the advantage that incumbency offers. I think Enda will be given three years and then 'reshuffled'.

ThePeaceKeeper

Website
www.chris-barrett.org
Twitter
cbairead
oooohhhhhh its the thread police
Wasn't intending to come across that way, I was just asking.

But I would agree mainly with what LeDroit is saying. I really don't see him leading us into a GE in 2016.

Personally, I would have suggested that he'd take the Presidential nomination from FG and let Bruton take over, but after "the incident" I don't think that'll happen now. Honestly, why go through that much bad PR if you're going to step down to run for President.

idle tim

Michael Noonan is the big Hawk circling over Kennys head,its only a matter of time before he swoops.Wonder what odds paddy power would give on him being leader of the party come GE time.

Northtipp

Wasn't intending to come across that way, I was just asking.

But I would agree mainly with what LeDroit is saying. I really don't see him leading us into a GE in 2016.

Personally, I would have suggested that he'd take the Presidential nomination from FG and let Bruton take over, but after "the incident" I don't think that'll happen now. Honestly, why go through that much bad PR if you're going to step down to run for President.

No probs. Your probably right anyhow.I just wonder if LD is correct and he might well be will the Irish people really want another unelected leader as per Cowen. That could be an issue

Highking

As far as I'm concerned if he does a good job he should lead us in the general election after next. If he doesn't he shouldn't, I think it's nonsensical to predict the state of FG in 5 years time considering the volatile nature of Irish politics at the moment

ThePeaceKeeper

Website
www.chris-barrett.org
Twitter
cbairead
It may be nonsensical, but it will be in the back of some people's minds. Cowen was elected as a TD, not as our Taoiseach. He was designated in early 2008 as our next Taoiseach, people took it lying down, he took over and drove the country into the mess we now see it in.

People are going to be asking themselves "look, there was already one coup attempt, will there be another and will Enda still be Taoiseach in 5 years time or will we see a repeat of some TD we know nothing about being elected Taoiseach just as Biffo was". Honestly, it's grounded in some merit too.

Rocket Man

As far as I'm concerned if he does a good job he should lead us in the general election after next. If he doesn't he shouldn't, I think it's nonsensical to predict the state of FG in 5 years time considering the volatile nature of Irish politics at the moment
Agree. I am far from an ardent fan of Enda but I can't see how anyone can predict what will happen in the next 5 days let alone 5 years.
You are absolutely right his future will surely depend on how successful the next government is perceived as being.

As for this growing belief about Noonan taking over, am I the only one who remembers 2002?
Noonan is an excellent opposition spokesman but thats where his strengths lie.
He was a dsaster as party leader and I can't see how anyone could seriously consider his return.

NotoriousFin

Even the most ardent fan of Kenny would concede that he will not lead FG into the GE after this one. Therefore, FG will need to change leader before then. Would they do it on the eve of GE 2016? I don't think so. They'll want their new man/woman to be Taoiseach for a while to maintain the advantage that incumbency offers. I think Enda will be given three years and then 'reshuffled'.
In normal conditions, that'd be true. But a FG-Lab Government will not last 5 years. ESPECIALLY in this climate.

ThePeaceKeeper

Website
www.chris-barrett.org
Twitter
cbairead
In normal conditions, that'd be true. But a FG-Lab Government will not last 5 years. ESPECIALLY in this climate.
Perhaps, but I honestly can't see FF regaining enough momentum to be back in government in the next 3 years. FG-Lab will be able to ride off anti-FF sentiment for about 18 months, so that would leave even less time for FF to build up enough support. Even then I don't see a Lab-FF government; as Gilmore wants to see this as a 3 party state, he won't let FF anywhere near Lab. FG wouldn't dream of doing a deal with FF either.

That would leave us in stalemate so perhaps, just perhaps, we may see a FG-Lab Government last between 4 and 5 years. If so, the continuation of Enda as leader for the whole 5 years will be an important factor to many voters.

turdsl

Good God how stupid can we get, To start a thread for what is going to happen in 3 years time and we have no idea what is going to happen next week.

Northtipp

Good God how stupid can we get, To start a thread for what is going to happen in 3 years time and we have no idea what is going to happen next week.

I think if you read the origin of the thread it doesnt state that at all. In fairness though, reading and analysing at the same time are not everyones forte

Tea Party Patriot

All I will say on the Kenny issue is that he has led FG back from the brink of wipeout to a position where they will most likely lead the next government. For all the blustering in the anti Kenny camp there is no guarentee that a new leader will increase the FG vote. Also FG's failure to do better in the polls is the result of traditional left wing FF voters going ABFG and opting for Lab and SF instead.

I think he should be judged on his performance in office and if this is poor he will be removed.

cathal201

All I will say on the Kenny issue is that he has led FG back from the brink of wipeout to a position where they will most likely lead the next government. For all the blustering in the anti Kenny camp there is no guarentee that a new leader will increase the FG vote. Also FG's failure to do better in the polls is the result of traditional left wing FF voters going ABFG and opting for Lab and SF instead.

I think he should be judged on his performance in office and if this is poor he will be removed.
Exactly. Enda Kenny has been a brilliant leader in terms of re-building the party after the disaster of 2002. However, his performance in terms of picking up the support after Fianna Fail demise has been below par. He has done ok, if you told any FGer 5 years ago we would be double FF support we would have laughed. But the way Irish politics is now, its slightly disappointing!

Nevertheless, Enda Kenny has the potential to make a great Taoiseach. He will be judged on his performances during the General election campaign by the party and then when he is Taoiseach, he will be judged by the Irish people. I do believe that FG will lead Ireland to great things once again, and if this is with Enda Kenny at the helm, why would you change that for the 2016 election?

KATHY

It may be nonsensical, but it will be in the back of some people's minds. Cowen was elected as a TD, not as our Taoiseach. He was designated in early 2008 as our next Taoiseach, people took it lying down, he took over and drove the country into the mess we now see it in.

People are going to be asking themselves "look, there was already one coup attempt, will there be another and will Enda still be Taoiseach in 5 years time or will we see a repeat of some TD we know nothing about being elected Taoiseach just as Biffo was". Honestly, it's grounded in some merit too.
You know you could include all of the other party leaders in that scenario As things stand there are strong rumours that although Cowen seems determined to lead FF into the next election he will not remain on as leader. Equally rumours of discontent have also been heard from the Sinn Fein camp about Gerry Adams leadership. Labour are in a corner at the moment with the coming together of the Left Alliance so Gilmore is going to have to decide on which side of the fence he wants to place his party, which could equally lead to a lot of discontent within his ranks.

There were many who underestimated Enda Kenny’s ability when he took over FG. But you have to remember he inherited a party on its knees in 2002 which he studiously built it up over the last five years to where he now leads the largest party in the Republic in local authority and european terms. He has a track record of spectacular results in reviving FG and putting in place a team, each of whom out smart their counterparts at every level. Doing that surely involved him having exactly the sort of skills that this country needs right now.

Tomas Mor

this thread should be merged with other one -and there are so many here about Kenny. Last stand attempts to FFers to bring him down will not woprk, and they are wasting their time. Kenny on his death bed will never have it on his conscience that he was the man who brought the IMF inhere and who together wit ECB have made us a vassal state. And Cowen, Bertie , McCreevy etc- those who carry the can dont give a damn. They go their way and sing and party, think they are some sort of Cuchulainns from an ancient tribe with a divine right to rule.
Ponder for a moment the slurs that would be on Kenny if he called in the IMF etc- Dermot McMurrough, Cromwell !

collina

All political parties are the same. So are the public, look at the Churchill dumping after WWII. FG have got rid if better leaders than Enda Kenny. Mind you FF have foisted upon us inept and crooked Taoisigh time and time again.

FG may well find a new leader but it won't be a unique event.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies