Is ff already dead on the ground ?

nonpartyboy

Was speaking to a family member who would be a ff activist (I know, I know) for nearly 30 years, he told me he hadn't attended a cumman meeting in nearly 2 years and knew many others who hadn't either, when I asked why he just said they stopped listening to what the people on the ground were saying long before the end of the boom with regard to immigration, excessive social welfare and many other topics that were raised at meetings.
When I asked would he be canvassing at the next election, he just started laughing.

Is a total clearout of the top of the party the only thing that will prevent it's ultimate destruction ?

Last edited:

DuineEile

I won't believe it 'till I see it. I do think that Dev would have pretty much had every current Fianna Fáiler shot. He would have recognised them by a different name "Fine Gael". The current Fine Gaelers he would recognise as the Unionist Party.

I don't underestimate the ability of Fianna Fáil to pull victory from the ashes, nor the ability of Fine Gael not to recognise victory when they achieve it, as in 2007.

D

Last edited:

karldaly

"Is ff already dead on the ground"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE5o79AOXAw]YouTube - Bertie Ahern on Dragons' Den[/ame]

Podolski1.5

Wishful thinking (unfortunately). Fianna Fáilers are taking some flak though and the more timid ones have gone to ground but the hard core is still there, bold as brass. I can certainly see them having problems getting members to knock on doors when the general election is called, especially in urban areas. They'll get ate without salt.

Skrynesaver

Wishful thinking (unfortunately). Fianna Fáilers are taking some flak though and the more timid ones have gone to ground but the hard core is still there, bold as brass. I can certainly see them having problems getting members to knock on doors when the general election is called, especially in urban areas. They'll get ate without salt.
Not just Urban areas, chatting locally everyone from farmers, manual, skilled and professionals are raging, it would be a brave cuman member that will turn up at the gates around here. I suspect that we'll get flyers dropped in during business hours - the canvassers must be dreading a Christmas campaign with people at home when they call

White Horse

I know of a couple of branches in Louth that haven't met in a year.

"Dead" would be an exaggeration, but not an outgrageous one.

Catalpa

People in Ireland vote as much to stop the other Fella/Party getting in as they do for the person they actually vote for.

I think abstentionism would be the biggest factor in pulling down FFs vote rather than voters switching Parties.

If they shed votes to their opponents then Labour and SF are the two most likely to gain rather than FG.

If Pearse Doherty takes Donegal SW this month it might give that Party a wind in their sails in the forthcoming GE.

Skin

Is FF dead on the ground? I predicited two years ago that it would be dead and buried within a year - I was wrong, not only are they polling 1/4- 1/5 of the electorate, they are still actually in power!!
They have, and continue to take a bashing, but they obviously have necks made wood. They have, cleverly for two years using the bank gaurantee, put the financial crisis on the long-finger while they put their 'recovery' into plan. However, quite clearly, it isnt working, and there are very few options open to them.

I predict a general election early in Jan/Feb, with the new government being forced to go to Europe/IMF.

oggy

Not only is it dangerous to underestimate FF members it is far more dangerous to underestimate the people of Ireland. Right now FF are being written off as a dead party by people who for the first time in Irish history are certain they can smell the blood of FF. These people are part of the 75% of the electorate who will not vote FF in a million years. It is forgotten time after time that the same 75% are all over the place in their political and economic beliefs. There isnt a trace of unity of purpose within this 75% who are permanently at each others throats when they take a breather from bashing FF. This as history proves is the opening for FF and come the next election FF will exploit the disunity.
We are far from dead, just in a slumber while our leaders tackle the kick in the teeth the economy received in 2008. Its also worth noting that this message board is a prime example of the hidden FF strenght in depth. It drives me mad that more FF people are not participating in this board because I know damn well scores more than the 6 or 8 who post keep an eye on the board. This board recently had a poll about the best Taoiseach and I think it was 46 who voted Bertie and Brian. Overall, the numbers voting FF Taoiseach in the poll bore no resemblence to the board participation. As I said I am highly critical of them lurking but am equally certain when push comes to shove those lurkers will come out of hiding as will the members on the ground when the election comes along.
I say to the ABFF, eat your hearts out and get ready for a real scrap

maxthedog

Not only is it dangerous to underestimate FF members it is far more dangerous to underestimate the people of Ireland. Right now FF are being written off as a dead party by people who for the first time in Irish history are certain they can smell the blood of FF. These people are part of the 75% of the electorate who will not vote FF in a million years. It is forgotten time after time that the same 75% are all over the place in their political and economic beliefs. There isnt a trace of unity of purpose within this 75% who are permanently at each others throats when they take a breather from bashing FF. This as history proves is the opening for FF and come the next election FF will exploit the disunity.
We are far from dead, just in a slumber while our leaders tackle the kick in the teeth the economy received in 2008. Its also worth noting that this message board is a prime example of the hidden FF strenght in depth. It drives me mad that more FF people are not participating in this board because I know damn well scores more than the 6 or 8 who post keep an eye on the board. This board recently had a poll about the best Taoiseach and I think it was 46 who voted Bertie and Brian. Overall, the numbers voting FF Taoiseach in the poll bore no resemblence to the board participation. As I said I am highly critical of them lurking but am equally certain when push comes to shove those lurkers will come out of hiding as will the members on the ground when the election comes along.
I say to the ABFF, eat your hearts out and get ready for a real scrap
So while others are ptting forward evidence of Cummans not meeting for the last two years. All you have is a rant based on postings on Pie.

Leaving me to suspect you haven`t a clue about FF or its grassroots.

A bit like Brian and Lennie.

anfieldabff

None so blind as those who will not see!!!!

Oggy, even the party propeganda paper the Sindo has turned on you. John Drennan in a number of articles in todays paper (Independant online I would not waste money on the rag)
"Like its banking doppelganger Anglo Irish Bank, when it comes to the extent of FF's likely losses there is no bottom line. And should the electorate's "out, out, out" mood be reflected by the loss of 50 seats, the cruel truth is that a party that changed from being a national movement into a Mafia-lite-style franchise will simply cease to exist. "
or
"Amid all this joy, there was one unhappy victim. Poor 'Comical John' Curran, the Cabinet's less than happy chief whip, did his best as he tried to defend the Government's decision to appeal the High Court decision on the Donegal by-election. Nothing, however, could disguise the impression that, like Dubya Bush in Florida, the Greens and FF were engaged in a shyster's trick of using the courts to subvert the law."

It is a funny old place when Sinn Fein is upholding our democracy and Fianna Fail is subverting de Valera's old constitution.

jmcc

We are far from dead,
Bang!

deirdrem

Was speaking to a family member who would be a ff activist (I know, I know) for nearly 30 years, he told me he hadn't attended a cumman meeting in nearly 2 years and knew many others who hadn't either, when I asked why he just said they stopped listening to what the people on the ground were saying long before the end of the boom with regard to immigration, excessive social welfare and many other topics that were raised at meetings.
When the Oireachtas decided to fund the parties with taxpayers money, many people felt that was the beginning of the end of the cumann system. The two main functions of the cumann were fund-raising and canvassing; as fundraising was pretty much done in other ways now, the only function left to the cumann was canvassing, and when the party stops listening, it becomes a top-heavy structure that loses its base.
Doubtless the next innovation will be to pay canvassers at election time - and what's wrong with that, don't all our charities do the same, or do you think all those Poles collecting money on the streets of our cities and towns do it out of the goodness of their hearts?

TonyB

Twitter
technopolitics
I spoke to a man last night who has been Fianna Fail all his life (he's in his seventies), and is now not just saying he won't vote for them, but denying that he ever voted for them!! That said, I'll believe it when I see it. I suspect you know that a lot of these guys will not vote for others, but may not actually vote at all.

That said, whatever about the demise of FF, I can tell you that other parties are massively energised (by this dose of schadenfreude?!) as the population gets angrier and angrier. If we think of these things as being relative, the acceleration in grassroots support for other parties coupled with a slackening of FF core support certainly leaves FF in the dust.

wombat

I spoke to a man last night who has been Fianna Fail all his life (he's in his seventies), and is now not just saying he won't vote for them, but denying that he ever voted for them!! That said, I'll believe it when I see it. I suspect you know that a lot of these guys will not vote for others, but may not actually vote at all..
I had a similar conversation at work, although he admitted he was a supporter. I told him that he will enter the polling station, start to mark his ballot and he will lose control of his hand which will fly down the paper and mark 1,2,3 for FF. It is physically impossible for some people to vote for anyone other than FF.:lol:

ALAN42

I won't believe it 'till I see it. I do think that Dev would have pretty much had every current Fianna Fáiler shot. He would have recognised them by a different name "Fine Gael". The current Fine Gaelers he would recognise as the Unionist Party.

I don't underestimate the ability of Fianna Fáil to pull victory from the ashes, nor the ability of Fine Gael not to recognise victory when they achieve it, as in 2007.

D
Is this the same ' Dev ' ? Dev tricked public into investing in Irish Press, file reveals - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

New Threads

Most Replies