Is FG accusing SF of dog-whistle homophobia?

Wascurito

It's not on the website yet but the front page of today's Sunday Independent leads with an extraordinary story of senior Fine Gaelers being furious with Mary Lou MacDonald. Allegedly, she commented that Leo Varadkar could not understand childcare issues because he himself is childless.

Mr Varadkar, being gay, is in a same-sex relationship.

The full article is here:
https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/sunday-independent-ireland/20171001/281479276614896

People will probably need to read the whole article and judge the exchanges between Varadkar and McDonald to decide whether she was having a go at Leo because he had no children.

I think it's stretching it a bit to say that she was.

Last edited:

PlanetBertie

I don't know much about dog whistles but I do know its one good reason for not buying the paper.

RadicalJacobin

Pretty sure she didn't actually say that. As far as I can remember she said that she understood the problems that families face with childcare costs etc. Anyway its totally meaningless and ironic for FG to be angry about this, they're not exactly shining lights of progressiveness. Why don't they answer the questions about the banks and their tax exemptions? No? didn't think so.

Levellers

Total distortion of what McDonald said. She was referring to the fact that the wealthy that Leo represents do not understand the struggles of poorer families.

This is being used as a smokescreen over the allegations that Leo has a difficulty dealing with female politicians such as McDonald, Daly and Murphy.

paddycomeback

More like Varadkar subconconciously​ finds women's reproductive capacity unpleasant and expresses it as misogyny towards Mary Lou.

Congalltee

It is not homophobic to say that a childless single man in a long distance relationship on €200k does not understand the child care issues of ordinary workers.
The rags spun nonsense about homophobia when Simon Coveney was pictured with his wife and children during the FG leadership contest.

It is wrong to use homophobia as an excuse to insulate a politician from criticism.

Franzoni

Any politician who hasn't had to pony up anything from a grand to €1600 a month on top of the mortgage and the rest of the bills hasn't a clue...... right,left or centre...

I'd also add the hassle some working people get off some employers if a child is sick especially in the private sector where the protections are less....

Of course all our politicians along with having a bar in the workplace also have recourse to a workplace creche as do the staff in RTE i believe.......

Mercurial

So what did she actually say? A quote would be helpful.

She's normally a shrewd performer. I'd be very surprised if she literally said he doesn't understand these issues because he doesn't have kids.

Disillusioned democrat

Total distortion of what McDonald said. She was referring to the fact that the wealthy that Leo represents do not understand the struggles of poorer families.

This is being used as a smokescreen over the allegations that Leo has a difficulty dealing with female politicians such as McDonald, Daly and Murphy.
I guess that's the kind of spin you buy with tax payers money.

Leo turning into quite the misogynist and his spin docs starting to struggle to hide it.

Congalltee

She's normally a shrewd performer. I'd be very surprised if she literally said he doesn't understand these issues because he doesn't have kids.
The article does not appear to have a direct quote.
It's all"implicitly suggesting" nonsense.
Mary Lou said the Taoiseach did not understand childcare.
At another point in time, she said she has two children.
Both of these statements are true.
Neither are homophobic.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Shock horror ........ SIndo runs anti SF headline. Would be a surprise if it did anything else :lol:

Congalltee

I guess that's the kind of spin you buy with tax payers money.

Leo turning into quite the misogynist and his spin docs starting to struggle to hide it.
What do you mean turning into?
"Marriage in our Constitution is very clear that it’s a man marrying a woman, largely with a view to having a natural family, and if they are unable to do that, obviously then they can adopt. And I would be of the view that it doesn’t have to be the case for everyone, but that the preferable construct in a society is the traditional family, and the State through its laws should protect that and promote that.” Hot Press interview, 2010"

“I consider myself pro-life, as I accept that the unborn is a human life with rights and I do not support abortion on request or on demand. I also stated and sincerely believe that this is an issue where there are few certainties and where families and doctors often find themselves having to making extremely difficult ethical and clinical decisions.” As Minister for Health in the Dáil, January 2015

GDPR

Shock horror ........ SIndo runs anti SF headline. Would be a surprise if it did anything else :lol:
Most Indo anti-Shinner propaganda is hilariously counter-productive. They are worth one or two percentage points in elections for you boys which is not to be scoffed at.

Mick Mac

In fairness it's not like they wouldn't have been as quick to pull the same card.

However since both them and the blue shlt both can cover their eyes to an institution which preaches punishment for the gays then it's all optics.

It's like Regina Doherty defending the guard. Looking Glass stuff.

Mick Mac

She said gays should only be punished if promoting the gay lifestyle.

Mick Mac

Nah I jest. That was the guy in Clonskeagh. If she said that it would not be a problem the evidence shows us.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies