Is FG accusing SF of dog-whistle homophobia?

hurling_lad

From memory, I think the article quotes her actual comments accurately.

I was surprised they didn't get more coverage during the week because I thought she sailed very close to the Andrea Leadsom's mistake on Theresa May. I don't believe Mary Lou, for all her faults, is homophobic but her comments were clumsy.

I've no sympathy for Sinn Fein or Mary Lou though, they're happy to play sexism card.
This is FG showing they'll play the homophobic card if they have to.
It seems to me that both the misogyny accusation against Varadkar and the accusation against McDonald that she highlighted Varadkar's personal circumstances to suggest that he didn't understand the challenges faced by families are both based on unproveable counterfactuals.

In the Varadkar case, the argument is, essentially, that he wouldn't have made the remarks in question if McDonald were a man.
In the McDonald case, the argument is that she wouldn't have made the remarks in question if Varadkar were a parent.

Both arguments are, thus, equally flimsy.

The only instructive point in all of this is that it shows up partisanship: if you believe what Varadkar said crossed the line but you think that what McDonald said was OK then it would probably be easy to predict your party-political leaning. If you believe the opposite, then it would also probably be easy to predict your party-political leaning.

Prester Jim

It is not homophobic to say that a childless single man in a long distance relationship on €200k does not understand the child care issues of ordinary workers.
The rags spun nonsense about homophobia when Simon Coveney was pictured with his wife and children during the FG leadership contest.

It is wrong to use homophobia as an excuse to insulate a politician from criticism.
Exactly. He has never had the worry about money in his adult life and has an enormous disposable income to live the high life. He could be very clever and empathetic and still have difficulty knowing and getting the difficulty posed by having a family when there is nominal help with childcare subbing etc.
That is not to insult him, just to state a fact.

LISTOWEL MAN

Mary Lou MacDonald commented that Leo Varadkar could not understand childcare issues because he himself is childless.
if only Leo had children himself .. then he'd be normal

then he'd join SF and deflect the IRA who murdered and sex abused children

LISTOWEL MAN

It's proven that gay men are less likely to care about the next generation. Gay men do not want children and therefore devote their lives to having hedonistic pleasure in the present.
It's proven that SF men (and women) are less likely to care about the IRA victims generation

Wascurito

He has a point. Would you like such a character to be leading the "Israel"? To hell you would.
I don't have a huge problem with Leo V**. He's a creation of his background as we all are.

Mind you, if you listened to what Irish people are saying about him as opposed to what the international media think, you might find that he's closer to you ideologically than you believe. Ach, sin mar atá.

**Doesn't the papal look of that warm the cockles of your heart? :cool:

Kommunist

FG are full of morons

Polybius

It's proven that SF men (and women) are less likely to care about the IRA victims generation
Yes, SF have not shown proper remorse for the innocent victims of IRA terror. But what does that have to do with Leo being a narcissistic gay man who doesn't understand what it's like to raise a family?

LISTOWEL MAN

Yes, SF have not shown proper remorse for the innocent victims of IRA terror. But what does that have to do with Leo being a narcissistic gay man who doesn't understand what it's like to raise a family?
SF are (ab)using the abortion referendum like everything else

mac tíre

Once again, what does that have to do with the fact that Leo Varadkar has no understanding of what its like to raise a child in modern Ireland?
You have to understand that that poster throws out random posts in all threads. For your own sanity, stay well away.

FOURGREENFIELDS

This media group has had an extremely negative affect on Irish life and played a destructive role in attempts to find a peaceful resolution in the North. It is rabidly right wing, anti trade union, anti employee, the mouthpiece and propaganda sheet for big business, property tycoons, FF, FG and the small cabal that holds so much power in the country. It's shameful treatment of the Nationalist community in the North has been nothing short of shameful and a total disgrace.
In it's desperation to keep it's political influences in power in the 26 counties it has put it's role as Establishment attack dog against Sinn Fein ABOVE peace and the political process in the North. While it is perfectly legitimate to criticise political parties and public fjgures the Independent has run an agenda against Sinn Fein that includes distortion and misinformation.
One would think that Sinn Fein and the IRA were the sole players in the 6 county

Nipper

It's proven that gay men are less likely to care about the next generation. Gay men do not want children and therefore devote their lives to having hedonistic pleasure in the present.
And the best part is you don't even have to be gay to try it.

Blokesbloke

If they are they're just playing the game after the insinuations that Leo was misogynistic just because he used the word "cranky".

I'd rather all political parties stopped using this tedious identity politics shíte but they never will.

Blokesbloke

:roll:

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
It's not on the website yet but the front page of today's Sunday Independent leads with an extraordinary story of senior Fine Gaelers being furious with Mary Lou MacDonald. Allegedly, she commented that Leo Varadkar could not understand childcare issues because he himself is childless.

Mr Varadkar, being gay, is in a same-sex relationship.

The full article is here:
https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/sunday-independent-ireland/20171001/281479276614896

People will probably need to read the whole article and judge the exchanges between Varadkar and McDonald to decide whether she was having a go at Leo because he had no children.

I think it's stretching it a bit to say that she was.
EXHANGE HERE
For the record of the Dáil, I am actually raising two young children. While I regard that as something of a personal endeavour, it also puts me, like so many others, in a position to understand that all of the cant and empty rhetoric about balancing the books is not worth a fig to struggling families. To couples at work or individuals on their own who have to provide care for their children, lofty words about balancing the books from An Taoiseach in that dismissive way are of no use.
https://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2017-09-26a.5&s=YOUNG+section:debates#g18

New Threads

Top Bottom