• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Is Fianna Fáil taking the Greens for granted?

Congalltee

Would the delegates who voted the Greens into Government, ever thought:
1) The Green Party would vote confidence in Minister who mislead the High Court after engaing in a smear campaign (and not even be consulted as to the date of the motion).
2) Vote down two by-elections for no good reason (one was after election to the EP, the other a retirement).
3) They would be utterly helpless against Ringsend super dump, Shannon and Tara.
4) Vote for Social Welfare cuts.
5) Vote to guarantee all liabilities of 6 banks (in fairness probably very few of them knew what sub-ordinated debt was at the time) and nationalise a developers' banks with strong links to FF.
6) Consider voting for an inquiry into the economic collapse and banking crisis that would exclude examination of FF/PD ministers?
7) Allow the Equality agenda be curtailed by savage cuts?
8) Vote down a measure to hold by-elections in a reasonable time?
9) Vote to disallow questions to Ministers for a week, banning votes for a week and not requiring the Taoiseach to defend his economic record in the Dail?
10) Not prioritising their legislative agenda eg Dublin Mayor elections.
http://www.politics.ie/oireachtas/131381-fury-corridors-power-greens-dark-over-remaining-bills-before-dail-end.html

The Green Ministers have punched above their weight in terms of their own departments, but for the rest of the time they are taken for granted by Fianna Fail. They have some achivements (see their website), but basically on the big issues it makes no difference whether they are there or not.

In short the Greens are not merely being taken for granted by FF, but they are willing participants against their own stated agenda.

loner

Lets face it the Greens despite all their protestations to the contrary are there for the mercs and the perks--they had things structured from day one to ensure that with their musical chairs they would all qualify for pensions for life and this structuring was carefully created behind closed doors and the Green spear carriers were given the mushroom treatment in relation to it--so much for openness and transparency.

OceanFrog

10 questions for the Green Party.

1. Why are the Green Party denying the the peoples of Donegal, Waterford and Dublin South their right to a by-election? It has been many months since these people have been without their allowed level of representation ... why do the Green Party keep voting against holding these 3 by-elections? Why are the Green Party delaying on the referendum on children's rights? Why has John Gormley refused to meet Fregus Finlay to discuss the proposed referendum?

2. Where is the ban on corporate donations promised by John Gormley?

3. Why have the Green Party appointed unqualified Green Party members to State jobs after promising that all such appointments would be openly advertised and transparent. Elizabeth Davidson was appointed to the board of IFCO (Irish Film Classification) ... was this position openly advertised, and is Elizabeth Davidson qualified for this job in any way? Elizabeth is just one example of this ... there are many others. How is this different to the gombeenism of FF on "Planet Bertie".

4. Shannon - Has there been even ONE inspection of US military flights passing through Sahnnon? Who knows what is coming through Shannon?

5. Tara - The argument was made by John Gormley and co. that it would cost €200m to buy us out of the contract with Eurolink, and that if we spent that money, it would be €200m less for our public service? How come we can now hand over multiples in billions to zombie banks and its ok?

6. The Banking Inquiry - Why does the inquiry not include the night of the guarantee in Sept 2008? Why is the inquiry not open and transparent? (Private not secret, right Minister Gormley???).

7. Secret Ministerial rotation deals - Why was a secret deal put in place to rotate Green Ministers after 2.5 years in Govt? Why was Eamon Ryan excluded from this secret deal, and why did he not know about the deal (he has claimed ignorance many times).

8. If secret deals like the above exist, how can we be sure that other secret deals don't exist? Were secret deals done on Tara and Shannon? Why did Eamon Ryan not know about these secret deals between John Gormley and Bertie Ahern? What else don't we know? How can the Green Party still claim to be open and transparent whilst doing deals that GP members and GP Ministers don't even know about?

9. Why has the Irish EPI index dropped 10 places since Minister Gormley has been in charge. We were 10 places higher when we had Dick Roche in Minister Gormley's seat!

10. Where are the Electoral, Tax and Dail reforms? Where's the GMO Legislation? Where is the ratification of Aahrus? Where's the National Transport Strategy?

Congalltee

Congalltee

If in doubt.............oh are they actually there at all?
That is a bit too harsh, the Greens have made a difference eg Carbon budget, bicycle subsidy, parking levy.
It is only when their agenda clashes with that of Fianna Fail, that they become utterly irrelevant.

flavirostris

The last few years have seen the GP exposed as a con. I don't doubt that they had ( and may still have ) many sincere people but these people have been sold out by charlatans like John Gormley, Eamon Ryan and Dan Boyle who are only interested in power.
If you had said to a GP supporter 3 or 4 years ago that one day the parliamentary party would troop through the lobbies to vote confidence in a lying thug like Willie O'Dea or vote to deny citizens their right to democratic representation in the Dáil, they would have laughed at you.
But it has all come to pass.
They deserve their coming annhilation thoroughly

regularjoe

lol

no they are taking them for a complete ride. when the dumbass greens wake up allot of mud will have stuck!!!

swim with sharks prepare to be bitten

OceanFrog

The last few years have seen the GP exposed as a con. I don't doubt that they had ( and may still have ) many sincere people but these people have been sold out by charlatans like John Gormley, Eamon Ryan and Dan Boyle who are only interested in power.
If you had said to a GP supporter 3 or 4 years ago that one day the parliamentary party would troop through the lobbies to vote confidence in a lying thug like Willie O'Dea or vote to deny citizens their right to democratic representation in the Dáil, they would have laughed at you.
But it has all come to pass.

Well said.

jmcc

I'm sure that they'll appreciate votes being recycled and the Green Party becoming the political equivalent of worm food.

Regards...jmcc

Murra

100 Animal Welfare campaigners within the Green Party promised their support for NAMA - ergo supporting the Govt - on condition that they got their Animal Welfare Bill through. Now, it's on the back burner. Wonder if they are feeling peeved about that?

OceanFrog

100 Animal Welfare campaigners within the Green Party promised their support for NAMA - ergo supporting the Govt - on condition that they got their Animal Welfare Bill through. Now, it's on the back burner. Wonder if they are feeling peeved about that?
You forgot to mention the young Greens and the way they supported the Green PP (who called them a fan club for the PP?) because they insisted on free 3rd level fees. A decision which is bringing the 3rd level sector in this country to the brink of ruin.

I wonder if they are peeved that college registration fees are set to increase, and that 30 disadvantaged schools are losing librarians? Or peeved that they will be attending Universities that are already struggling to cope with a 6 per cent cut in resources imposed under the HEA employment control framework. Many Universities are also attempting also to reduce substantial accumulated debt, and all have seen a significant rise in their staff/student ratio, which already compares unfavourably with competitor colleges in Britain, Scandinavia and elsewhere. (Note: not even the good Universities in Britain, the US and Scandinavia ... we compare unfavorably with the crappy UK colleges!!!).

Well done the young Greens.

Well done the Animal Welfare campaigners.

I hope you are able to sleep well at night with your 30 pieces of silver.

Congalltee

The GP is a sell-out and nothing else. The environment isn't getting any better but the Dail has certainly gotten more Dirtier.

Irish beaches 'worst on Atlantic' - Yahoo! News UK
Don't burst the last Green bubble - that at least they are performing well in their departments. Is not Local Government effective and honest? Our planning process fair and transparent? Our broadband best in the world? That our environment is cleaner and greener? Our carbon emissions have fallen? Our energy sector does not overcharge its residential customers?

But at least the Greens have influence over other areas.

OceanFrog

Don't burst the last Green bubble - that at least they are performing well in their departments. Is not Local Government effective and honest? Our planning process fair and transparent? Our broadband best in the world? That our environment is cleaner and greener? Our carbon emissions have fallen? Our energy sector does not overcharge its residential customers?

But at least the Greens have influence over other areas.
You forgot to mention our health service is. And primary/secondary education. And our Universities.

And the fact that we were a full ten places higher on the EPI index when Dick Roche sat in Gormley's ministerial chair.

And the way we look after our carers, poorest and our blind.

Thank God for the Greens eh?

Ulster-Lad

I just got an answer to an email I sent encouraging them not to support Cowen in the upcoming confidence motion........ I am at a loss for words!!!! The Greens will never see another preference from me. This from Dan Boyle :mad:

Michael,

Green Party came into office to achieve a number of key goals. Many
of these come to fruition in the coming weeks. Now is NOT the time to
quit.

Important items include a new planning bill cracking down on
re-zoning; animal welfare legislation; moves to reform local
government led by election of a new Dublin mayor; civil partnership.

Green Party came to government in June 2007 – long after the key
policy mistakes and bank regulation failures. We are not part of
making this mess – but we will not shrink from being part of the
solution.

The two hard-hitting reports on banking – which led to next Tuesday’s
no confidence motion – have strongly supported the Government
corrective action of the past two years. The Green Party in
government played its part in framing that strategy.

The Green Party worked hard with our government partners on these
corrective measures which include gradual but radical change to bank
boards and management; a social dividend in bank rescue plans;
appointment of outsiders as Financial Regulator and Central Bank
Governor.

Green Party has come in government has taken the tough economic
decisions to fix a broken economy. We have paid a price in popularity
at local elections. But we will continue to do what is necessary and
continue to tell the truth.

Green Party leader, John Gormley, was first minister to call for this
banking inquiry in December 2009. Opposition and critics claimed
process would be ‘a whitewash.’ Nobody is saying that now. They are
tough reports which will inform a tough and truthful inquiry process.
It will happen in good time and be as open as possible. But upcoming
inquiries cannot be totally public because that would amount to the
Tribunal, decades long, horrifically expensive, and woefully
inefficient.

Fine Gael and Labour are using their right to play politics here.
They did nothing to warn against Celtic Tiger excesses. They fought
the 2007 general elections by matching FF’s extravagant promises. Now
they play the ‘I-Told-You-So’ card.

If we were to vote no confidence, and effectively quit on Tuesday,
Fine Gael and Labour would move into government and implement the
same hard-hitting economic policies. They would carry on with the
same strategy to get the banks back on track. They are trying to
imply that a change of government offers a ‘quick fix’ for Ireland’s
serious economic problems. That is not true. We are not here to play
that game.

yehbut_nobut

I just got an answer to an email I sent encouraging them not to support Cowen in the upcoming confidence motion........ I am at a loss for words!!!! The Greens will never see another preference from me. This from Dan Boyle :mad:

Someone else on here got the exact same (word for word) reply from mary white!
Written in Mount St, I'd say!

edit: Mary's reply here http://www.politics.ie/oireachtas/131362-banking-reports-fine-gael-table-motion-no-confidence-24.html#post2749610

PUFF DADDY

I've no replies yet from any of them..but I tell yeh if and when they get around to mailing that rubbish, i will be responding with a few choice words...

Popular Threads

Most Replies