• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Is God Transgender?

redhead

In an article in the NY Times, Rabbi Mark Sameth uses his learning and understanding of ancient scripture to ask the question "Is God Transgender?"

...In the ancient world, well-expressed gender fluidity was the mark of a civilized person. Such a person was considered more “godlike.” In Ancient Mesopotamia and Egypt, the gods were thought of as gender-fluid, and human beings were considered reflections of the gods.”
According to Sameth, Gender fluidity goes back thousands of years and is not merely an accident of typography:

...the Hebrew Bible, when read in its original language, offers a highly elastic view of gender...Eve is referred to as “he.” In Genesis 9:21, after the flood, Noah repairs to “her” tent. Genesis 24:16 refers to Rebecca as a “young man.” And Genesis 1:27 refers to Adam as “them.”
It's an interesting notion. As someone who raised agnostic, I find I care little for the endless religious arguments that fuel wars both in the real world and on P.ie. Unsure if I believe in a god or many of them, gender orientation isn't high on my list of priorities in a deity.

That said, as we have many experts on religion and gender on this site (as our front page often illustrates), I thought I'd throw this out there.

What say you and, more importantly, what impact does this have on the toilet situation?

[Note: Mods I tried starting this in political philosophy but for some reason that option isn't available to me.]

GabhaDubh

God will return, and boy is She pissed.

Calculusmadeeasy

Gender neutral in Genesis.

.the Hebrew Bible, when read in its original language, offers a highly elastic view of gender...Eve is referred to as “he.” In Genesis 9:21, after the flood, Noah repairs to “her” tent. Genesis 24:16 refers to Rebecca as a “young man.” And Genesis 1:27 refers to Adam as “them.”

Sounds like bollox frankly.

GDPR

Transgenderism is a mental illness. These kind of articles are really just increasing the suffering of those who are afflicted by denying their illness.

twokidsmanybruises

Meh. Is oxygen transgender? Are the concepts of good, evil, love or happiness transgender? Is a cancer transgender?

Trying to ascribe gender or concepts of gender fluidity to where they simply don't apply brands a person as a sophist, imho.

cunnyfunt

In an article in the NY Times, Rabbi Mark Sameth uses his learning and understanding of ancient scripture to ask the question "Is God Transgender?"

According to Sameth, Gender fluidity goes back thousands of years and is not merely an accident of typography:

It's an interesting notion. As someone who raised agnostic, I find I care little for the endless religious arguments that fuel wars both in the real world and on P.ie. Unsure if I believe in a god or many of them, gender orientation isn't high on my list of priorities in a deity.

That said, as we have many experts on religion and gender on this site (as our front page often illustrates), I thought I'd throw this out there.

What say you and, more importantly, what impact does this have on the toilet situation?

[Note: Mods I tried starting this in political philosophy but for some reason that option isn't available to me.]
In my younger days, I used to ponder the imponderable. I arrived at the terminus of it all.......with the outlook......"what is anything"?

redhead

gerhard dengler

The rabbi needs to re-read his Bible and/or or Torah.

The jews of the Old Testament acknowledged God as father.

GDPR

Yes I did see that Eagle and if my understanding of the Holy Trinity is right then it is the same question, but the article in question above was written by a Rabbi and is about the notion of deities and cultural mores in a pre Christian world rather than a discussion of chromosomes, it seemed like a different question.
So a discussion of chromosomes which are eminently scientific is zooable and one about the Tree Felllers in One which is pure fantasy isnt? :)

redhead

In my younger days, I used to ponder the imponderable. I arrived at the terminus of it all.......with the outlook......"what is anything"?
Poor you. I spent my younger days having fun, so now I am happy to be middle aged and ponder things instead of wistfully lamenting my youth. I'm interested as to why you think the question posed by the Rabbi is imponderable.

redhead

So a discussion of chromosomes which are eminently scientific is zooable and one about the Tree Felllers in One which is pure fantasy isnt? :)
Eagle, you're a very intelligent person of any gender, now where on earth did you make that leap from?

Calculusmadeeasy

Probably to avoid saying the ineffable.

God has a few names in the OT (El, Elohim, El Shaddai).

The authors of the OT intended God to be gender neutral. Translations usually use masculine pronouns. Occasionally a translation refers to God as female (e.g. somewhere in Isaiah, there's an analogy made between God and a Mother - can't remember chapter + verse).

The quote about Noah and Rebecca being referred to as she and he respectively should be treated with extreme scepticism.

redhead

The French for Vagina is "Le Vagin"
Are all french Vaginas masculine?
That is probably a result of historical ownership, Le vagin, I would imagine predated women actually having property rights over Leurs vagins...

The Field Marshal

God has no gender.

Only non catholics and non Christians deceive themselves into thinking the Deity has gender as such.

The issue of transgender within the Deity is therefore utterly and 100% redundant.

Calculusmadeeasy

The threads are getting dumber and dumberer..er.

I'm surprised at carrot top.

Cellachán Chaisil

God has no gender.

Only non catholics and non Christians deceive themselves into thinking the Deity has gender as such.

The issue of transgender within the Deity is therefore utterly and 100% redundant.
God has not gender, but hates it when humans don't have defined gender?

The Field Marshal

That language of fatherhood has always been seen as entirely symbolic by even the most elementary catholic theologians and writers.

God is a pure spirit devoid of any gender.

Ascribing gender to God is entirely anthropomorphic behaviour and can inhibit a proper understanding IMV.
[The term "Fatherhood of God" is only symbolic and intended to convey creativity and care.
It is an anthropomorphic term only.]

The loons on here screaming about the bearded guy in the sky should have convinced you of that long ago.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies