• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Is Ireland really a kleptocracy?

Disillusioned democrat

Kleptocracy, alternatively cleptocracy or kleptarchy, (from Greek: κλέπτης - kleptēs, "thief"[1] and κράτος - kratos, "power, rule",[2] hence "rule by thieves") is a form of political and government corruption where the government exists to increase the personal wealth and political power of its officials and the ruling class at the expense of the wider population, often without pretense of honest service. This type of government corruption is often achieved by the embezzlement of state funds.

(Thanks to Wikipedia)

Over the past years posting on p.ie I've seen the term kleptocracy used quite a few times but really never paid attention to it. In recent months, however, as the government have been more barefaced in imposing cuts on services and it's outgoings it has continued to borrow €13bn this year to maintain its income.

Last evening I realised that the government earns more from my work than I do - 10% more - as it takes 55% of the cost of employing me (albeit including employers PRSI), and from the remaining 45% I pay VAT, DIRT, Duty, Excise, VRT, Household Charge and probably a few more I can't recall. PS posters immediately rallied to discredit my calculation, simply because employers PRSI isn't a tax I pay, but deliberately missed the point.

I guess I'm just positing that maybe the government isn't as incompetent as we've assumed they are, but maybe this is a genuine case of a kleptocracy where the people of the country are actually and deliberately being fleeced to serve the "inner circle" of politicians, senior civil servants and anyone they allow into their tents.

Rural

Yes, indeed they are that word what you said, I can think of a few other words too, beginning with the word "shower ........".

Analyzer

Kleptocracy, alternatively cleptocracy or kleptarchy, (from Greek: κλέπτης - kleptēs, "thief"[1] and κράτος - kratos, "power, rule",[2] hence "rule by thieves") is a form of political and government corruption where the government exists to increase the personal wealth and political power of its officials and the ruling class at the expense of the wider population, often without pretense of honest service. This type of government corruption is often achieved by the embezzlement of state funds.

(Thanks to Wikipedia)

Over the past years posting on p.ie I've seen the term kleptocracy used quite a few times but really never paid attention to it. In recent months, however, as the government have been more barefaced in imposing cuts on services and it's outgoings it has continued to borrow €13bn this year to maintain its income.

Last evening I realised that the government earns more from my work than I do - 10% more - as it takes 55% of the cost of employing me (albeit including employers PRSI), and from the remaining 45% I pay VAT, DIRT, Duty, Excise, VRT, Household Charge and probably a few more I can't recall. PS posters immediately rallied to discredit my calculation, simply because employers PRSI isn't a tax I pay, but deliberately missed the point.

I guess I'm just positing that maybe the government isn't as incompetent as we've assumed they are, but maybe this is a genuine case of a kleptocracy where the people of the country are actually and deliberately being fleeced to serve the "inner circle" of politicians, senior civil servants and anyone they allow into their tents.
+1.

Let's not forget Irish defamation Law, and how long it took the Irish media to discuss/investigate CJH and the maFFia.

Rural

+1.

Let's not forget Irish defamation Law, and how long it took the Irish media to discuss/investigate CJH and the maFFia.
Still waiting for the results of the Mahon Report, which was supposed to be out three years ago.:rolleyes:

ruserious

(Thanks to Wikipedia)

The Irish trait of subserviance certainly is challened into government. I'm not sure that is kleptocracy though...

Con Gallagher

Look at the levels of taxes paid.
Look at levels of money borrowed to top up government expenditure.

Then review the quality and breadth of public service you and your community receive eg health system, cuts to policing, education standards (eg the low number who can speak Irish after 14 years and a foreign language after 6) etc

Then look at amount on public pay and pensions (including politicians and senior civil servants), quangos (and who's on them), consultants, legal bills to big six solicitors, amount of discretionary funding diverted to politicians local patches, export credit insurance, per job return of IDA grants, etc etc

Kleptocracy might be a bit far, but democratic/accountability deficit might be more accurate.

Ribeye

(Thanks to Wikipedia)

An excellent OP, one correction though, you said the govt "earns" more of your money than you do, that's untrue, they "earn" nothing, "steal" is what they do,

And to answer the question,

Well, does Mr Ed sh1t himself when he sees Larry Goodman coming?

:)

Rural

An excellent OP, one correction though, you said the govt "earns" more of your money than you do, that's untrue, they "earn" nothing, "steal" is what they do,

Mr. Ed is in a unique position for a horse, he can tell Larry to eff off!!

Ribeye

An interesting way of looking at it is,

You will be working until about the end of July before you are allowed to keep any of your earnings!

and for fckn what exactly?

Spanner Island

Over the last couple of years I've become increasingly reluctant to accept the eFFing traitors were 'incompetent' because incompetence in some way excuses or at least diminishes the significant contribution they made to what happened.

Another reason I'm increasingly reluctant to accept it is by looking at how competent they were at lining their own pockets and ensuring they were more than comfortable, both in employment as well as post retirement.

In fact it could be argued they were world beaters in this respect, because by the time the crash occurred they were the highest paid politicians in the world.

So for me the eFFing traitors weren't actually incompetent when it came to the jobs they were supposed to be doing in the national interest.

Nah... for me they were criminally negligent and/or simply self serving crooks... and as such, they should all be pursued and prosecuted relentlessly so that they are not allowed to continue their retirements in the style to which they've become accustomed and ensured would be funded by us.

Ireland a kleptocracy?

Damn f***ing right it is, and the body politic is one of the most serious and relentless offenders.

R

Ramps

...but maybe this is a genuine case of a kleptocracy where the people of the country are actually and deliberately being fleeced to serve the "inner circle" of politicians, senior civil servants and anyone they allow into their tents.
Sorry, but you're straying in to grassy knoll territory.

eyelight

A kleptoctacy since the foundation of the state.
A state founded by terrorists and criminals, and run by their children and grandchildren, knows no better.

Protestant/Catholic=Irish

To paraphrase Franklin D. Roosevelt, "taxes are payment for living in an organised society".

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

(Thanks to Wikipedia)

A fine post. Just one correction. In 2012 the government borrowed over €24 billion.

Ribeye

To paraphrase Franklin D. Roosevelt, "taxes are payment for living in an organised society".
Did he indeed? Well, I suppose he would say that, wouldn't he?

Not only is he wrong in general terms, but as an American, you would think he should know that the role of the Federal Govt is supposed to be to simply defend Liberty, as per the Dec of Ind and the Constitution,

It ain't your job to organise society Teddy, so back off!

eoghanacht

A kleptoctacy since the foundation of the state.
A state founded by terrorists and criminals, and run by their children and grandchildren, knows no better.
Give over ye half wit. Your beloved British empire was founded on piracy and slavery and it's monarchy descended from glorified war lords.

Popular Threads

Most Replies