Is it fair to say,nationalists=catholics and unionists=protestants

RahenyFG

From a debate I had with a friend, I would like to get others point of view on this.

Is it fair to make a general statement to make about the north that nationalists by and large are catholic and that unionists by and large are protestant. Anyone born and bred into the catholic religion will be nationalist and likewise, anyone born and bred into the protestant religion will be unionist. Or is such a statement sectarian?

Also which is the main reason for the troubles in the North? politics or religion?

Last edited by a moderator:

Anglo Celt

Isn't that true of the whole island? by and large and when push comes to shove, peoples religious background mean they're predisposed to one of the two, to some degree. I don't believe it's possible to be truly neutral in Ireland, even for outsiders who settle here. Sooner or later you're forced to nail our colours to the mast.

Cruimh

as a rule of thumb it's a fair statement, though it depends on definitions and is probably more true for protestants than Catholics.

There are a fair few RCs who, while they would have many of what would be thought of as nationalist markers and who might even ultimately support the nationalist ideal of unification, would support the Union either in the short term or long term while being deeply antagonistic towards "Unionism" as a political identity and Loyalism.

Conditioning comes into it as well.

Whereas just over half of Catholics who had attended a segregated school supported Irish re-unification, just over one in three of those who had experienced an integrated education did so.

RahenyFG

Thanks Cruimh.

A friend of mine, a Sinn Féiner with no catholic background refused to accept such a fact. It is a general fact and I don't believe that saying nationalists=catholics or unionists=protestants is sectarian, just a simple fact. I mean what religion are the likes of Peter Robinson or Martin McGuinness. It's fairly plain and simple.

Darren H

Conditioning comes into it as well.Quote:
Whereas just over half of Catholics who had attended a segregated school supported Irish re-unification, just over one in three of those who had experienced an integrated education did so.
That demonstrates to all the paucity of a Roman Catholic education ;)

RahenyFG

There are a fair few RCs who, while they would have many of what would be thought of as nationalist markers and who might even ultimately support the nationalist ideal of unification, would support the Union either in the short term or long term while being deeply antagonistic towards "Unionism" as a political identity and Loyalism.
true considering it is estimated around a quarter of catholics would prefer to stay in the United Kingdom. You lads have a much better health system than the health system we have, skips we call hospitals.

eoghanacht

That demonstrates to all the paucity of a Roman Catholic education ;)
Into the sectarian stereotyping long or are you just trying it out this once?.

eoghanacht

From a debate I had with a friend, I would like to get others point of view on this.

Is it fair to make a general statement to make about the north that nationalists by and large are catholic and that unionists by and large are protestant. Anyone born and bred into the catholic religion will be nationalist and likewise, anyone born and bred into the protestant religion will be unionist. Or is such a statement sectarian?

Also which is the main reason for the troubles in the North? politics or religion?
Your ignorance amazes me.

eoghanacht

true considering it is estimated around a quarter of catholics would prefer to stay in the United Kingdom. You lads have a much better health system than the health system we have, skips we call hospitals.
Wow for a lad starting a thread who knew nothing 25 mins ago you've learned a hell of a lot inbetween havn't you

Purplestar

I would say that when it comes to elections that by and large what you are saying is true. However I would say that the biggest majority of people on both sides dont give a toss about any of it and would rather get on with their lives than worry about unionism and nationalism.

RahenyFG

Your ignorance amazes me.
saying nationalists=catholics and unionists=protestants by and large is a fair statement and is very much correct and posters have agreed with me. It's like saying the sky is blue.

oboe

saying nationalists=catholics and unionists=protestants by and large is a fair statement and is very much correct and posters have agreed with me. It's like saying the sky is blue.
It's pretty obvious. In fact it's bloody obvious.

Anglo Celt

I would say that when it comes to elections that by and large what you are saying is true. However I would say that the biggest majority of people on both sides dont give a toss about any of it and would rather get on with their lives than worry about unionism and nationalism.
until push comes to shove. My wife isn't Irish, lived & worked in the republic for a couple of years and even she couldn't escape it. Unionism and Nationalism don't mean anything to people until we're put into a situation where "I don't care" just won't do as a response.

SevenStars

It's pretty obvious. In fact it's bloody obvious.
Roman Catholicism has traditionally been opposed to Republicanism and the Vatitican as a political power has never been a friend of Irish Republicanism.

And what essentially does Ulster Unionism have to do with the Reformation? If you actually go and live in a Protestant country you will see that Ulster Unionism is a very un-Protestant "Protestant" culture.

eoghanacht

No it's the fact that you had to start a thread to see if that was the case that i find amazing.

RahenyFG

No it's the fact that you had to start a thread to see if that was the case that i find amazing.
a mate of mine, a Shinner, disagreed with the statement. So I set up this thread to prove him wrong and with the contribution of people from the north agreeing with me, im right.

SevenStars

a mate of mine, a Shinner, disagreed with the statement. So I set up this thread to prove him wrong and with the contribution of people from the north agreeing with me, im right.
Essentially he is right...Its essentially an anti-colonial and anti-fascist struggle with sadly sectarian undertones.

eoghanacht

Wow a shinner denying something largley known to be true and you proved him wrong. I'm happy for you.

New Threads

Most Replies